WhiteKnight Build (ttora4runners rebuild)

wingysataday

Adventurer
looks good man! Are you worried about the cb cable in your way? That would make me nervous having the cord sticking out so close to the gas pedal.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader

Got the Lightforce lights installed and wired up tonight and but I got to figure out why the fog light switch light stays on.

Last edited:

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Ran into a hiccup with the wiring and I'm kind of stump on this.

Using the Toyota rocker style switch like I used in my old 4runner.

So last night I complete the wiring and get the lights working and go out for a little drive to grab a drink. When I get back to my place I flip the switch to make sure none of the connectors had come lose. I go to flip the switch and I get jack so I figured I’d check the wiring. Sure enough I didn’t have two of the connectors crimp enough so they came lose. I go ahead and disconnect the wiring from the battery to reconnect the two wires that had come lose and go to reconnect the wiring back to the battery only to get sparks.

I’ve gone back though checked all the connectors, checked for any frayed/damaged wires and check the grounds and found no problems. So what’s going on here?

This is the switch that I’m using and one of the write-ups that I’m using along with the Lightforce wiring diagram: http://www.sonoransteel.com/includes/templates/SonoranSteel/TechArticles/ToyotaOEMFogLightSwitch.pdf
The brown wire in the light force harness I have tied in with the yellow wire at the battery and then ran to the middle prong with the black/red wire connected to the bottom prong with the ground being at the top and grounded to the firewall.

In my last 4runner I had it wired the same way and didn’t have this problem.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Finally got the tire carrier for the CBI rear bumper the other day but there's a slight issue.

Something doesn't look quite right here: :mad::frusty:

You know that saying measure twice cut once. Well, in this case it was measure 4x's (paranoid) install once and still apparently, I can't read a tape measure.

Measured from the center of the spindle to the center of the bolt hole and everything looked fine. Once I got the carrier on (a chore in itself) the holes don't line up. On top of that the holes for the hub cover don't even line up.:boom:

A little frustrated at the moment to say the least. Gonna get a hold of CBI first Monday and see what can be done.

fireball

Explorer
Nice build so far. Love the bumper choices. Hope you get the tire carrier sorted out. Will it be at all easy to remove and reinstall the rear carrier? Reason I ask is that our 4R is also the wife's DD, I'd like a rear bumper but the swing out carrier won't work for the 355 days of the year she needs easy access to the hatch!

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Finally, got the tire carrier mounted up last night, just need to fix the license plate light wiring (bad ground).

One of the guys at work enlarged the hole for the latch handle as well as doing a little grinding on the holes for the spindle cover to get the bolts holes to line up properly. So far I haven't noticed any rattles. I still need to put some lug nuts on the spare as well as the chain.

I still need to change out to proper size and pick up another Baja Tacoma rim but that will have to wait for a bit.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
After some recent heart surgery (bad valves seals, globs of oil sludge no thanks to previous owners and a new fan clutch) the old girl found her way back onto the trail.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
No updates, just using my 4runner as I built her for.

Taken in Nevada yesterday.

(Yes, that's a topo map on my dash)

(4runner is in the lower right corner)

cdrewferd

Observer
Very nice build. I love those rims. Question about the CB, do you like it? I like that it's all in one and you don't have to have the huge box to mount in the dash.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
After having the rear tire carrier for almost a year know I kind of find having it to be more of pain having to swing it open to get into back of the 4runner or just trying to get the rear tire off of it (probable given myself a hernia from being a light weight).

Thinking about having the bumper modified so I can put the spare back underneath and having a different swing arm built to accommodate a couple of gas/water cans instead that way I can remove it when not needed.

Or maybe see if CBI or Shrockworks could build me a different bumper and just sell the one I currently have.

Granted I'd loose the cool factor of having the tire on the back but I'd just think it be more functional for me.

In no rush got few months to think about it since I'll be back in Colorado working and the 4runner will be in storage.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Very nice build. I love those rims. Question about the CB, do you like it? I like that it's all in one and you don't have to have the huge box to mount in the dash.

Ya, I like. Just wish I would've mounted it in a different since it gets in the way a little.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Been stuck in Colorado Springs for the past few months on a construction project with a company truck and no 4runner so my ability to explore the back country has been limited this summer. Which is a bummer.

The past weekend when I was home on my monthly trip I picked up some new rims for my 4runner.

Hopefully, the next time I'm home the old girl will final see some trail time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal