Who has a Tentrax?

brentnclemson

Is anyone on here running a Tentrax? I like the simple design, but I would like to see one in person first.

Owners, any feedback or recommendations?

Anyone in TX/NM/AZ who would be willing to let me come take a look?

Thanks!

bluejeep

just a guy
I've had mine for about 2 years now (purchased slightly used) Recently crossed the Rubicon Trail with it - flawless. I really like it because of the simplicity, although I have made a few modifications which make it more fitted to my needs. I will have it at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff AZ this spring.

brentnclemson

I've had mine for about 2 years now (purchased slightly used) Recently crossed the Rubicon Trail with it - flawless. I really like it because of the simplicity, although I have made a few modifications which make it more fitted to my needs. I will have it at the Overland Expo in Flagstaff AZ this spring.

How did it do on the Rubicon?? Have you had any issues with the axles off-road? Any durability issues with the tent?

I’d be interested in hearing more about the modifications you made also. Thanks!

bluejeep

just a guy
Didn't even know the trailer was there while traveling the Rubicon. Only thing to consider was being careful while backing up, didn't want to jackknife.
Changes include
- removed the forward rack on the tongue where the aluminum box was sitting, running from side to side. I removed the rack, cut it down the middle and reattached to the back of the trailer. (see picture)
- added lift rings to the rear bumper for points to connect a strap to (if needed for recovery),
- fabbed a mount for a small ATV winch to insert into the rear 2" receiver,
- added some led lights to the interior which run off a Goal Zero Yeti 400 battery that is on the front rack,
-put some d-rings on top using the same mounting bolts that hold the stock bars on,
-removed the fwd most top bar to clear the new position of the alum box, which now actually runs fore-aft in the middle of the fwd rack,not side to side as shown in some pics I have
- strengthened the tongue by sliding a 2-1/2" x 1/4" square tube over the existing tongue (had to strip the existing tongue and reweld to new tube)
-moved the wiring mount to the side and far enuf back so my tailgate does not interfere and more importantly so there is no contact between the vehicle (or spare tire) and the trailer when climbing a steep/abrupt rise or going thru a valley, but I can still back up so the trailer is at 90 deg to the jeep
- painted it to match my jeep (it was white)
- mounted a bracket on the side to insert a 1/4" piece of FRP (fiberglass reinforced panel) to use as a camp table. I used a standard 'hidden' shelf mount from Ikea. Works great for cooking, etc, not for heavy stuff or a workbench.
- attached a swivel mount trailer jack, which is removable for on the trail and sits on top of the tongue secured with 2 long square u-bolts
- added a Max Coupler
-strengthened the fwd edge of the bed (when opened) with a piece of angle iron
- moved the 'foot' from the tongue to the back of the trailer. keeps things from getting tippy when getting in and out if there is not enuf weight fwd of the axle (I am easily 225 pounds)
- added a teak 'step' surface to the top of the rear rack (probably my favorite thing)

I plan to add some reflective tape where the reflectors are on the frame - sort of smashed them on the rubicon.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/campsite-pics-lets-see-um.1598/page-169#post-2542957 post #2527 shows the Tentrax in 'camp mode'
several short videos on the Rubicon

Slide6.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_20170308_132750119.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9

bluejeep

just a guy
What part of TX? I am at the retirement home in Galveston (where the Tentrax is) and am frequently in McKinney (north of dallas). I could pull it up there if we wanted to arrange sometime.

If you search 'rubicon trail with tentrax' on youtube, or subscribe to my youtube channel you can see my other movies with the tentrax on the rubicon

brentnclemson

Ah!! I was just in Houston yesterday, but am currently in San Antonio headed toward Big Bend NP on an RV trip.

I would have loved to see your trailer, it looks like you made some great modifications, thanks for listing those!

How did you mount the stabilizer “foot” in the back? Did you find that made a big difference when entering?

Have you had to use the winch on the back?

Did you have issues with the tongue or just added the sleeve preemptively?

Love those videos on the Rubicon, that looks like a really fun trip. Thanks again!

bluejeep

just a guy
Maybe next time thru we can meet. The stabilizer is nice for solid feeling when entering or exiting. I just cut the tabs off the tongue and welded back on in the back. Not used the winch, just insurance if I need to pull the back end around on the trail. Yes and no on sleeving the tongue. Returning from SD a year ago I backed up from gas station and Jack knifed, slightly bending the tongue. I don't feel it would ever not be strong enuf on the trail, but since I removed it to straighten it (8 pound sledge) I stripped it down and sleeved it. Again, never had nor anticipated any issues on even the toughest trails as far as strength in the tongue or entire frame for that matter. Its well built. Get ahold of me around Overland expo time in flagstaff, I will be there wed may 15 thru sun 19th

brentnclemson

Maybe next time thru we can meet. The stabilizer is nice for solid feeling when entering or exiting. I just cut the tabs off the tongue and welded back on in the back. Not used the winch, just insurance if I need to pull the back end around on the trail. Yes and no on sleeving the tongue. Returning from SD a year ago I backed up from gas station and Jack knifed, slightly bending the tongue. I don't feel it would ever not be strong enuf on the trail, but since I removed it to straighten it (8 pound sledge) I stripped it down and sleeved it. Again, never had nor anticipated any issues on even the toughest trails as far as strength in the tongue or entire frame for that matter. Its well built. Get ahold of me around Overland expo time in flagstaff, I will be there wed may 15 thru sun 19th

Thanks again for all the information! I’ll get in touch and hope to connect at Overland Expo.

Jay_EE_P

I’ve got one currently for sale. Located in San Antonio, TX

Attachments

• 2D10AD95-6DC6-4401-8C8A-CA04C02D5D08.jpeg
    2D10AD95-6DC6-4401-8C8A-CA04C02D5D08.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 25
  • BCE81172-6904-4960-BB26-024B8EFC25F9.jpeg
    BCE81172-6904-4960-BB26-024B8EFC25F9.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 5C2F90B1-9212-401B-B836-B21DE8F19891.jpeg
    5C2F90B1-9212-401B-B836-B21DE8F19891.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 23