Why I switched from a Tacoma to an F150

It looks so good!!! Have the same camper and absolutely love it.

The FX4 package is wildly underrated, especially with the 3.5 eb. 1st gear is insanely low and torque-y, especially in 4L. In my opinion the width is just right - a few added pin stripes over my Taco, but nothing major. And I haven't found the desire for much more power now I have the bigger tires and camper. Just adjusted the wheel calibration, so my transmission has to relearn my driving style... And in this case weight. Curious to see after 2k miles if it gets better mpg or changes the shift points.

Looks great. I’m seriously contemplating a Project M for my F150, as 90% of the time, I’ll be using the truck as a truck so I don’t want any permanent structure in the bed.

Pretty cool motorcycles as well.

It's insane how much room you get inside. With the sides pushed out, and vertical walls, it's cavernous!! The M definitely is a bit of a wind brick though, so keep that in mind if you have long commutes (I mostly work from home and use the e-moto as much as I can).

OVRLNDFX4

The inside is a cave! A blank slate for you to build upon or just leave alone. Thats why we chose it. And all that in a package under 450lbs was a HUGE selling point. Yes it will get heavier with additions but thats for you to decide. I had a Sherpa roof rack already and the camper fit over it perfectly with a little room to spare. It has helped tremendously with wind noise, turbulence and i believe i picked up a few lost MPG's with it on.

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
Great build! I have to agree that the F150 is a fantastic overlanding rig. My brother has the F150 Tremor and it's an incredible vehicle.

I have a '13 FX4 w/ 6.5ft bed that has been great for me.

Look forward to seeing more of your updates! Also, very cool bikes! I bookmarked your site for if I'm ever in the bike market again (aka if the wife lets me, lol).

phsycle

Adventurer
It's insane how much room you get inside. With the sides pushed out, and vertical walls, it's cavernous!! The M definitely is a bit of a wind brick though, so keep that in mind if you have long commutes (I mostly work from home and use the e-moto as much as I can).
Fortunately, I only have a 2 mile commute. And most of the time, it’s on a bicycle or my Vespa. Although, one of those motos would be cool!

I’m not sure if you did the wheels/lift beforehand, but how much of a hit did the FWC take on the Highway?

Looks awesome.

Any tips for learning forscan? I've wanted to adjust my speedo as well but forscan makes me very nervous.

Love the Gen 3 Raptor wheels and the project M too, I cant believe you found those for $600. Great find.

Go to f150gen14.com to learn more about forscan. There's a whole thread, and if you're really nervous, there's a few guys who will even hop on the phone/run your computer for you. Just be willing to send them a PayPal tip.

But honestly, don't be too weary of forscan. You can save the "as built" information for each module (it's recommended to save ALL modules before you start messing with the, but I'm lazy and only save the modules I plan on tweaking). If you ******** something up, just reload the saved as built file. Just like new.

Yeah, pretty funny on the wheels. Dude swapped them out for Method 307s. That's a downgrade if you ask me. But to each his own.

Great build! I have to agree that the F150 is a fantastic overlanding rig. My brother has the F150 Tremor and it's an incredible vehicle.

I have a '13 FX4 w/ 6.5ft bed that has been great for me.

Look forward to seeing more of your updates! Also, very cool bikes! I bookmarked your site for if I'm ever in the bike market again (aka if the wife lets me, lol).

I honestly wanted a tremor, but this beauty found me before I ever got a build number. It's essentially a tremor now...haha... Minus some software and beefier front end (if I break or really feel I need the torsen diff, can always upgrade — prob just keep an eye out for a used one or wrecked tremor).

Stoked you're following along on the bikes. Definitely message me if you ever have any questions or just want to chat the industry.

The inside is a cave! A blank slate for you to build upon or just leave alone. Thats why we chose it. And all that in a package under 450lbs was a HUGE selling point. Yes it will get heavier with additions but thats for you to decide. I had a Sherpa roof rack already and the camper fit over it perfectly with a little room to spare. It has helped tremendously with wind noise, turbulence and i believe i picked up a few lost MPG's with it on.

My tiny little rhino wind fairing legitimately gave me back 2mpg. I can only imagine a properly sized and placed fairing. I could imagine getting another 1-1.5mpg if I doubled the size.

Fortunately, I only have a 2 mile commute. And most of the time, it’s on a bicycle or my Vespa. Although, one of those motos would be cool!

I’m not sure if you did the wheels/lift beforehand, but how much of a hit did the FWC take on the Highway?

My original lift / wheels setup hit me by about 2-3mpg. That was fox 2.5 + an OEM HD leaf in the rear. Tires were Toyo 275/70r18 wrapped around Fuel Shok +0 wheels. Pretty light wheel/tire combo (roughly 29+58lbs = 88lbs/wheel).

Add an Alu-Cab RTT and I lost another 3-4. Drove the Baja and averaged 12.5 mpg, no fairing. With the fairing I averaged about 14.5. Freeway (70+), I couldn't expect greater that 13, highway (sub 70) I could get 16-17.

Since putting on the FWC Project-M, I'm averaging about the same as w/ the Alu-Cab. With the new wheel combo and resetting the speedo/comp, the verdict is still out. I can't imagine getting worse as each tire is now 53lbs (never weighed nor could find info on the Raptor wheels, but honestly I swear they feel lighter than the fuel Shoks).

Dougnuts

Hello Dylan, how about another update? Any issues with the truck?

I'm selling my 2018 this week. Although I said I was going to go without a truck, I'm already thinking about jumping on an end of year deal on a 2023 Ecoboost Lariat.

52551178657_22d9d8a25f_w.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Hello Dylan, how about another update? Any issues with the truck?

I'm selling my 2018 this week. Although I said I was going to go without a truck, I'm already thinking about jumping on an end of year deal on a 2023 Ecoboost Lariat.

52551178657_22d9d8a25f_w.jpg
Lots of good info at 14thgen.com I've got a '22 Ecoboost (3.5) w/ 30K miles on it so far.
Couple recalls but none powertrain related. So far it's been good overall.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Good to know, Todd. What are your thoughts on the broken hub bolt (and fix) on the semi-floater 9.75”? Do you have that axle?
I do have that axle. I optioned Max Tow and that axle is part of that package.

I think it also comes on PowerBoost trucks....

So far it hasn't been an issue for me. (knock on wood).

But, honestly, if you have a few trucks on your list, drive em all and pick the one that's the best fit for you.

I was very close to buying a '22 Tundra before this Ford. Personally I think any vehicle is a gamble. So, might as well drive what you like and maybe get a warranty.

skrypj

Good to know, Todd. What are your thoughts on the broken hub bolt (and fix) on the semi-floater 9.75”? Do you have that axle?

You need max-tow to get that axle with the Ecoboost. All Powerboosts have it.

I heard that they have completely gotten rid of that axle for 2024 with the refresh.

Dougnuts

I do have that axle. I optioned Max Tow and that axle is part of that package.

I think it also comes on PowerBoost trucks....

So far it hasn't been an issue for me. (knock on wood).

But, honestly, if you have a few trucks on your list, drive em all and pick the one that's the best fit for you.

I was very close to buying a '22 Tundra before this Ford. Personally I think any vehicle is a gamble. So, might as well drive what you like and maybe get a warranty.

I have max tow on my current truck, but I don't really need it. Are they selling two versions of the 9.75"? A rear locker is a requirement for me, which I think is 9.75" only, right?

My brother bought a new Tundra on Saturday. It's very nice, but the wife and I both like the F150's outward visibility.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have max tow on my current truck, but I don't really need it. Are they selling two versions of the 9.75"? A rear locker is a requirement for me, which I think is 9.75" only, right?

My brother bought a new Tundra on Saturday. It's very nice, but the wife and I both like the F150's outward visibility.
You can get the locker w/ 3:31 or 3:55 gears on an 8.8. I think choosing max tow, powerboost or 3:73 gears defaults to 9.75.

The 22 Tundra was very nice. However, for what we use our truck for we felt the F150 was a better fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven