Why no Ram 1500 Builds!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
After owning several IFS, one TTB, two factory SFA trucks and one SAS... all driven everywhere in Arizona and the Sierra Nevada range I really don't care what kind of front axle my 4wd has. Driving techniques differ so you have to adapt to make the most of the machine but that's on the driver more than it's on the machine - same goes for longevity and trail breakage.

Agreed. I’ve owned them all and traveled with all of them.

All have their pros and cons.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
For a sports car, sure, but nobody in their right mind wants a coil sprung rear end for a truck that hauls weight...

You are not wrong. however, as a pure hauling truck the leaf might be a better option, but nowadays trucks started moving into the overland world where the off-road capability and comfort is more desired.
So I guess RAM has made a right call here. Their intuition is not entirely wrong.

Tow thing I don't like with RAM is their somewhat curvy design and the dial knob for the gears. The rest is cool.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
I guess I'm not in my right mind, whatever problem people seem to be having with coil springs are just not a problem I'm experiencing.

It's irrefutable coil springs do not handle weight very well. I encourage you to show me examples of heavy duty trucks running them. One ton or bigger.

There are zero.

Also, you're towing MAYBE 5000lbs. Try doubling that. See how those coils do.

Coil springs are great for ride quality and handling, they're not great for hauling weight. Someone that wants to haul a rooftop tent and some maxxtrax, they'll be fine. Guy wants to haul a quad in the bed and a travel trailer, not gonna work so well. There's a reason dodge 3/4 tons (with coils) have the same RATED payload capacity as a leaf sprung ford half ton, and over 1000lb less payload than a ford 3/4 ton (leaf sprung)

Again, it's the coils. Both trucks are equally capable otherwise.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
There's nothing wrong with coils if the rear links are stout enough, and the coils are strong enough. So far, they haven't been. It'll take a thousand years for pickup manufacturers to figure it out.

You could remove the airbag on a semi truck and toss a coil right in. It would work fine, since the air bag setup already has all of the axle links and everything.

And:
train1.jpg

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
View attachment 598247

View attachment 598248

View attachment 598250

I have it at 6730 plus we had the vehicle a little farther forward than I would have liked on the trailer, due to where the tire cups & straps are located. And there's the camper shell, the bed platform, the futon mattress, our luggage for 4 days.. well I couldn't double all that because it's a half ton truck and the manufacturer states in this configuration it can tow up to 9050 lbs and the maximum payload on the door sticker for occupants and cargo is 1380 lbs.

Coincidentally my wife and I together weigh a bit less than 380 lbs, so the half ton truck can haul a half ton in addition to both of us.

This seems to be a topic you're passionate about but I think you might be barking up the wrong tree. If I needed to haul more than a half ton maybe a half ton truck wouldn't be a good idea... like if you stuck a 5 quart oil drain pan under a Cat 330 and it overflowed would you blame the 5 quart pan for being undersized? My half ton truck does this half ton thing pretty well so whatever problem I'm supposed to have with coil springs has yet to make itself apparent. ?

Touche on the bloody train haha! That's AWESOME.

However, it doesn't answer why a ram 3/4 ton has 1000lb+ less payload capacity than a ford 3/4 ton. Why are the coil springs rated so much less? Even your dodge, has a 1380lb door sticker in a regular cab medium box, one of the best combo's for payload, my truck is a crew cab short box with lots of options (worst possible combo for payload) and has a 1920lb door sticker.

If it isn't the coil springs, what is it?

Laps

My RAM "build" is a 2017 RAM Rebel, stock air bag/shock suspension. Has been off roading in Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado (including some of the high passes) with no difficulty. Good mpg, decent payload and good tow rating. Last year I followed the Continental Divide Ride (popular with adventure motorcyclists) from New Mexico up through Colorado for two weeks.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm rockin' a 1500 too. Classic. Springs all around and towing a teardrop.
Just the right amount of truck.

For now.

0601201124a_Film4 (1).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues