Will we be seeing truck prices come down in the near future?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Are you planning to do several multi week trips a year? The question I ask is at what point is it worth the sweat, time and money to build such a beast to maintain family comfort versus renting a vacation house a few times a year? Vehicle based exploration could be done with far less when operating out of a home base.
Yep same argument I have with my self regarding replacing our camp trailer 4x6 Lifetime Tent Trailer. 2-3 trips a year 15-16 days at best. $ per day the Airbnb wins even with the current lower ish RV prices.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Yep same argument I have with my self regarding replacing our camp trailer....
I get talking to yourself, but arguing requires replies which seem to be troubling in several aspects.
We could just refer to all this as justification for big boy toys. I bought a boat two years ago, it hasn't moved yet. Last year, I bought a Roadman Camper, a motorcycle tent trailer, had to build a custom hitch for my Trike and its still not on yet. Oh, 4 years ago I bought an Army Hospital Surgical Tent, very heavy stuff, about 14X24', I laid it out when I bought it, rolled it up and it has never moved since then. Can't justify any of this stuff, except I just have it.

I'm sure next summer many here will buy new(er) toys, prices will drop and desire increases.

Whatever you decide to do most likely there will always be a cheaper alternative that you didn't take.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Maybe it's starting. Just got a text out of the blue from a salesman at one of the dealerships I was talking to in Jan '22.
Sooo... a year ago...
They were asking if I ever bought or if I did if I'd be interested in trying to get a better deal, lol
Must be slow if they're reaching out to people they haven't heard from in a year...

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Maybe it's starting. Just got a text out of the blue from a salesman at one of the dealerships I was talking to in Jan '22.
Sooo... a year ago...
They were asking if I ever bought or if I did if I'd be interested in trying to get a better deal, lol
Must be slow if they're reaching out to people they haven't heard from in a year...

I do think some dealers are getting the final warning from their inventory financing companies about sitting on inventory without pricing changes. This is probably about the beginning of this aspect. Before now the short term inventory financing companies were happy with higher deposits and fees but I suspect that’s fading fast especially with this week’s economy talk.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I do think some dealers are getting the final warning from their inventory financing companies about sitting on inventory without pricing changes. This is probably about the beginning of this aspect. Before now the short term inventory financing companies were happy with higher deposits and fees but I suspect that’s fading fast especially with this week’s economy talk.
Something has to change soon if they want to sell inventory...
I pass a GM, Ford and 2 RAM / Jeep dealers + 3 RV dealers on my daily commute. Inventory seems to be getting larger and larger.
Ford is finally shipping 22's that were on chip hold to dealers. So dealers are ending up with new 22's along with 23's that are landing.
Not sure if other manufactures are in the same boat.
RV dealers still seems to have a lot of 22's on their lots too.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I pass a GM, Ford and 2 RAM / Jeep dealers + 3 RV dealers on my daily commute. Inventory seems to be getting larger and larger.
Ford is finally shipping 22's that were on chip hold to dealers. So dealers are ending up with new 22's along with 23's that are landing.

Poked my nose around a large Airstream dealer this week. Sales guy talking about people ordering trailers. I tell him I want to just do a quick look at new stuff. Turns out they have new stuff stashed in the back of the warehouse while they strategically leave the outside lot looking picked over. So yeah I see why buyers think “ordering” is the option?.

All the “dealers” today operate on the same business model that was perfected by Auto Nation and Lithia. Manipulate the “perception” of model availability by strategically parking certain models on the public lots, pitch your pricing against your other store front adds to show that “other places have the same pricing”

This has been happening in CA for the past 20yrs. Only now it’s expanded across the US and into other types of Dealer sold products RVs and Boats etc. Now its the “dumb” consumer facing a far more complex and skilled seller. Watching this type of thing play out with people selling to people. The whole AI is the end argument is pretty damn realistic ??

ReluctantTraveler

I would assume this is more consumer cars and pickups and not so much chassis cabs and heavy duty trucks?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I would assume this is more consumer cars and pickups and not so much chassis cabs and heavy duty trucks?
For the most part. I never drove through any of the lots, so can't comment on what exactly was in inventory.

I don't think a lot of chassis cabs are kept in stock here.
Usually when a company wants them they'll place a fleet order for the amount of trucks they are looking for.
Sometimes they back out after trucks have landed and that's usually when you see them in dealer inventory.
I am only speculating based on my experience with 1 Ford and 1 GM dealer 10 years ago. Different time, different market.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Discounts, Rebates and Cheap Finance Rates will be the once again be the norm as we proceed through 2023. That's what it will take for all the OEM vehicle manufacturers/dealers and RV manufacturers/dealers to "Move The Iron".

The good times for OEM's are over and all they know are Discount's, Rebates and Cheap Finance Rates when it comes to "Moving The Iron" in a slower none COVID driven economy. There is always one whore in the bunch who will bend over and set the new pricing structure for their industry.

Stand back and watch as it is already happening!

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
It's already happening today!

All one has to do today is watch TV now and see vehicle advertisements with discounts under MSRP along with below market finance rates and/or cash back rebate offers.

Even Tesla is now reducing the price of their vehicles as they continue to lose market share in the electric vehicle market.

I'll be happy to see availability return. It's annoying to not be able to find what you want. I don't mind MSRP so much. It's been a long time since I fooled myself into thinking I was going to fleece the dealer with my negotiating skills. ;)

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Up, down, bouncing all around…

Prices are looking to be going back up again (according to this current Jalopnik article ):

Used car demand suddenly spiked in January, increasing wholesale values at auction as well used car prices on lots. Wholesale values saw an increase of 2.5 percent from December to January, according to data from Cox Automotive, which is the highest jump from one month to another since the end of 2021.

The sudden jump in demand is likely a result of used car prices cooling, which led to buyers taking advantage of lower prices, which is now sending prices up again, as CNBC reports.

The data from Cox’s Manheim Used Vehicle Value Index shows that prices are still down overall, but they’re inching their way back up…”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater