Winch Question

dstuder

Observer
Hey All,

Just replace the solenoid on my 9500 lbs Atlas Winch cuz I thought it was bad.
When I pushed the button either in or out all I was getting was one click from the
solenoid. Replaced it and nothing has changed. Need ideas on where to look
next.

Thanks,

brushogger

Explorer
Check for 12v on the connection from the battery to the solenoid. It sounds like the solenoid is working. When you hit fwd or rev with the controller, check for 12v on the connection from the solenoid to the winch. If you have 12v there, it may be the winch motor.

DividingCreek

Explorer
another possibility, I had a winch that would click but not turn and it turned out to be the clutch was stuck inside the drum tube

dstuder

Observer
Took it a part last night. Still no luck. Next step is to to clean and or replace the brushes. Thanks for all the suggestions.

fishEH

Explorer
Took it a part last night. Still no luck. Next step is to to clean and or replace the brushes. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Planning on doing some winching or just getting it ready to go?
What kind of solenoid(s) do you have? Is it the "four pack" style of the single sealed unit?

dstuder

Observer
Hey Bret,

Getting it ready. Would like to head out wheeling soon. It's a single seal unit.
Was able to get the motor to spin with help last night. I'm now thinking the brushes
are dirty or need replaced. Am going to take it in when I get home from vacation.

P.S. Sure wish I could get on the board so I could see when you all are heading out next.

Cheers.

disco 03

P.S. Sure wish I could get on the board so I could see when you all are heading out next.

Cheers.

I believe the current state of affairs over there David is they just don't have any idea of what they're doing. I am positive that more and more folks are just clamoring to be a part of a club that cannot even manage the freaking bb, let alone schedule trips, or meaningful events... give me a shout when you get back from your trip.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
another possibility, I had a winch that would click but not turn and it turned out to be the clutch was stuck inside the drum tube

That's not a clutch - it's a brake. All 'clutches' on common low lines are just 'freespools, primarily usinhg the sun gear as the free spool and some kind of simple locking devices. There are oddities to this - Ramsey REP's for example

Brakes jamming up in the drum are a common occurance - usually becuase they have been put in the wrong way round

Clicking like yer man describes is electric. Bit like on a vehicle with a starter problem

Always start with the earths
Then move on to the permanent live
Then the switched lives
Finally the LV supply from the control

If it's the motor brushes you don't get a clicking as such unless they are absolutley shot or rusted up to helll and back so as to be earthing out through the corrosion. Damaged motor brushes just effect the motor speed and pull...

What you might have is coorosion in the main motor effecting the armature.

Some of the branded stuff like the atlas doesn't have a bearing for the motor shaft on the end plate, instead they have a bronze bush. I have known these to get very badly corroded before and jam up the motor shaft movement

fishEH

Explorer
I believe the current state of affairs over there David is they just don't have any idea of what they're doing. I am positive that more and more folks are just clamoring to be a part of a club that cannot even manage the freaking bb, let alone schedule trips, or meaningful events... give me a shout when you get back from your trip.

You should come up to WI with me this weekend!

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
My superwinch was doing the exact same thing. I decided to take the motor apart and found it had a ton of corrosion around the armature to the point that the springs had no pressure on the motor. I then cleaned it up as well as possible with emory cloth and the motor spun right up. I did notice some drag from the gear side of the winch so I am about to clean and re-grease that side also.

Anybody know of some good grease to pack the winch with?

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
After some years of experiment on many different winches I would suggest the following

Clean all the gears back to grease free. Take a tub of LM2 and a paint brush and lightly cover the surface of the gears; and I mean lightly. Then reassemble...

The other option is to use the paint brush scenario with Land Rover CV grease

dstuder

Observer
Thanks for all the suggestions. Just returned from a 5 day trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lake Shore. I plan on taking it apart this week to see what's up.

David

Attachments

• Glen Arbor-20110527-00346 (4).jpg
    Glen Arbor-20110527-00346 (4).jpg
    759.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-20110528-00384 (3).jpg
    IMG-20110528-00384 (3).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member