Xterra Light Problem

ARBTECH

Observer
Hey Ya'll
Trying to help a friend in need, so I am bringing the issue to EXpo.

Newly purchased 2003 Xterra from a non-nissan dealership. Instrument panel lights and tail lights do not work. Brake lights are ok. They replaced fuses, drove it around the block and the fuses were blown again.

Does this sound like a common issue that the Xterra is known for? Or are the techs there idiots?

Any suggestions or resources would be appreciated.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Not an Xterra expert but I would suggest checking two things:

1) A short in the trailer wiring, but it's less likely because the brake lights continue to work.
2) Front bumper marker light wiring. I've read before the wiring in that area is very weak. Something about the wiring getting shorted by the bumper mounts after an impact.

Pete

XJINTX

Explorer
You checked the fuse box under the hood right?

I believe that is where the culprit was on mine with same symptoms :)

ARBTECH

Observer
I personally have not touched the vehicle, but from the info relayed to me it seems the dealership replaced a fuse or something. My friend, a salesmen, took the car around the block to verify the work for our other buddy, the buyer. And the lights went out again with the same symptoms after a few minutes.

My gut says not the right fuse was used as a replacement, but not being a Nissan guy I don't know what problems are common with the Xterra's.

ExpeditionJeep

If the fuse is blowing then something is shorting to ground, I agree it could easily be at the trailer wiring. This is pretty basic so I would guess they haven't got their best tech on it. With the proper short detection tool (or the right DVOM) it's easy enough to energize the circuit and start wiggling wires until the short is detected. Once localized a visual inspection will generally find the problem quickly enough. As it happened on a short test drive the problem is substantial and should not be hard to find like ti would be if it blew a fuse every few days for no apparent reason.

Now get back to selling Scratch and Dent Bars...:coffee:
Marc

granitex1

Adventurer
That is not a common problem with Nissans, is there a hitch on this truck?

Start with that wiring and move back, there may be a short in that connection.

Remember there are two fuse blocks, one under the hood, the other under the dash on the drivers side.

Also take a look to see if there is any evidence of any damage , like a new taillight cover, where the other one is seasoned.

ARBTECH

Observer
Yeah it does have the factory hitch. Found a few reports of people having issues with that harness. Are the taillights and instrument panel lights on the same fuse? Again, the strange part is all the brake lights work just not the running lights and instrument panel when the headlights are on.
-Note- This is Matt, not Marc. He wanted to let you all know he is smarter than me.

Last edited:
Brake lights are on a seperate circuit than the tail/instrument lights. You can short out the tail/instrument lights all day and not hurt the brake lights.

Start with trailer wiring, was happening to me like crazy and this was the problem. When the lights do go out, what is happening? Hit a bump? where did you hit the bump? That area of the vehicle might have the lose connection, but I am very certain you will find the problem in the trailer light wiring plug.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
:coffee:
This happened to my fronty. I took a rearend hit from a Texan in Hundai to my trailer hitch on an icy day and the same lights went out (tail, instrument and front marker/driving lights). It looked like the ground from the wiring harness is toast. The Hundai lost big time but it has been a pain in the keaster finding the short. I started at the dash and worked my way back.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I have fixed my lighting problem. The unit/box for the trailer light pug was fried. I kept loosing my tail lights, dash lights and front corner lights along with my left turn signal would stay on without being engaged. This unit/box plugs into the rear wiring harness. 5 Min. fix and all is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk