Yaesu 7800 install

daverami

Explorer
Put this in a while ago, but thought I would share how it came out.

The 7800 faceplate is mounted on the shift console, the same way as the GPS. I like the location. It doesn't get in the way of the shifter, I can see it easily, and I can get to all the controls very easily. The guts of the 7800 I mounted under the driver seat. I am thinking of moving the mic to the other side.

I used a small Simpson truss for a 2x4 to make the mount for the mic. It's screwed in on the side and covered by the HVAC control panel. Makes a very sturdy mount.

I still haven't figured out where I want to but my external speaker though. It's all wired directly to the battery. The antenna is a Larsen on an NMO hood mount.

cab.jpg

cab2.jpg

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
That looks good!

I'm curious how the reception for the GPS is mounted in that location. Just got a XOG for our 05' Taco, and haven't figured out a good mounting location for it.

Mark

daverami

Explorer
That looks good!

I'm curious how the reception for the GPS is mounted in that location. Just got a XOG for our 05' Taco, and haven't figured out a good mounting location for it.

Mark

I haven't had any reception problems, which surprised me. Finding a good mounting location was a pain. It took a while before I decided to go with what I did.
David

guitar1999

power wires

Nice install! Where did you bring the power wires through from the battery? I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do that for my 8800...

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Most new vehicles have a rubber boot over the electrical pass thru on the firewall. I've carefully pierced them in the past to feed a bundle thru. If you don't have that option, a step bit will create a clean hole for a rubber grommet.

On my '98 Taco the pass thru has a nipple on the bottom side. I used it for running my wiring into the cab.

Mark

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Nice install! Where did you bring the power wires through from the battery? I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do that for my 8800...

You have several options, all like crawler#976 describes. On the drivers side of the firewall, you can use the existing rubber boot where the huge wire bundle passes through, or there's a smaller rubber boot with nipple a few inches higher up on the wall. There's also at least one nipple grommet on the passenger side about fender height on the firewall.

Just poke a hole in the grommet using a sharp pointy object, bore it out to your desired size and then feed the wire through. Then use silicone to waterproof the hole when done.

M

modelbuilder

I have the same radio I need to install. How do I ground it to the frame if it is mounted under the seat?

gary in ohio

Explorer
you'll get better service if you ground it to the battery.

Don't use a switched or fused power lead, when you're transmitting on high power you're pulling over 4 amps and the odds of blowing whatever fuse you might use is very high. Better to run it direct with it's own fuse in-line.

You better have a fused power lead.. It should be fused on both sides of the firewall. and YES your drawing more than 4 amps. At 50 watts your in 8-9 amp range.

gary in ohio

Explorer

On another note, where do you get the figures of 8-9 amps? 50 watts divided by 12 volts is 4.1 amps, amps drop even lower if the voltage is higher.

The 7800 will only draw 50 watts at maximum power while transmitting.

While 50 watts / 12 volts is 4.1 amps so your ohms law calculations is correct but your forgetting, that your only calculating based on the 50watts of RF power you need to add current for for the audio output plus a few watts to run the display and the radio plus add in lossess in the amp/radio components. Manufacture says 8.5 amps on VHF 8 on UHF.

Ziggster

Here is my installation of my Ft7800 in My Nissan Xterra. I mad a custom mount for the Face and the ScanGuage II. The rest of the radio is mounted under the Drivers seat with a dedicated power line from the battery run thru a Blue Sea Fuse block.

3389881069_7113ca9597_o.jpg

Front view

3390694282_bccd747a1c_o.jpg

The best view I could get of the bracket.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
I don't have pictures but I located the main unit up under my AO drawers so it is very high out of any possible water and the head I used Velcro under the dash. As most Toyota owners I have met or chatted with online, I hate to make any new holes in my truck!

Also, my 7800 came with a 15AMP in line (+) bus fuse and then hooked it through another 10 AMP fuse before the battery. The 15AMP bus fuse is harder/replace to find than the 10 AMP thumb fuse.

daverami

Explorer

Wow, sorry it took me so long to respond to you. I haven't checked the site for a while.

There is a small grommet behind the master cylinder, I poked a hole in it, big enough to fit the wires through. Ran it up under the dash, then under the console. Sealed the grommet with silicon when done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh