*yawn*

NoDak

I agree but those are the population centers. Might not be a great idea to put the first dealer in Fargo. I'd say this is a tough call for any company and especially a new venture.
I’m genuinely surprised they didn’t choose Fargo for an initial dealer location. Get a few of these vehicles out doing what they were designed and intended.

• Haha
Reactions: plh

luckyjoe

Adventurer
I prefer to do my own maintenance as well but any warranty work would require a two day drive just to get to an Ineos service center based on that map.
Yeah, I get it. for comparison I'd have 1.5-2 hour drive each way. Warranty issues in the UK, Germany and Oz have been mostly annoying blips and nothing major. A software update was released this week, which could be needed fixes or signaling the prep for NA builds.

plh

Explorer
I’m genuinely surprised they didn’t choose Fargo for an initial dealer location. Get a few of these vehicles out doing what they were designed and intended.

ND millionaires per capita: 6.00% (19,662 households)

closest dealer: Illinois (Chicago): 6.14% (300,142 households)

Colorado (Denver): 6.47% (143,564 households)

Pure numbers of persons available to buy such a vehicle....

Most people that are driving a $100K car are earning $250K +, and worth $2.5 million +, whether that's trust fund, or salary, or business ownership/stocks, or some combination.

The marketers who decide where to place the dealerships know this information.

Last edited:

NoDak

Most people that are driving a $100K car are earning $250K +, and worth $2.5 million +, whether that's trust fund, or salary, or business ownership/stocks, or some combination.

There are a few import dealers in Fargo selling BMW, Mercedes and Porsche. The Ford dealers sold a new Ford GT. I’ve seen numerous G wagons around when I go to town. Most families where I live are driving around in newer suburbans and Expeditions in trim levels that surpass the starting price of a grenadier by far.

Besides I thought Jim Radcliffe built the grenadier as a heavy duty work vehicle to replace the defender? They skipped over the entire middle of the country that would actually use it for what it was designed. Wouldn’t they want dealers and services where it would actually get put to work?

plh

Explorer
There are a few import dealers in Fargo selling BMW, Mercedes and Porsche. The Ford dealers sold a new Ford GT. I’ve seen numerous G wagons around when I go to town. Most families where I live are driving around in newer suburbans and Expeditions in trim levels that surpass the starting price of a grenadier by far.

Besides I thought Jim Radcliffe built the grenadier as a heavy duty work vehicle to replace the defender? They skipped over the entire middle of the country that would actually use it for what it was designed. Wouldn’t they want dealers and services where it would actually get put to work?

No auto manufacture wants to only sell many of the "base level" vehicle. Profit is made in the fully optioned models. Luckily the G wagons have not changed much over the years, unless you are making more than a fleeting glance, a 2000 model year doesn't look a great deal different than a 2023. Lease deals are much better on a Big 3 vehicle than a niche vehicle like a Grenadier. There is no doubt that Microsoft / RDO / Sanford surgeons etc... monied people in Fargo are buying the Ford GT type vehicles. If they want to be the cool kid on the block with a Gren - they will travel to buy one and it will be loaded and cost $120k.

None the less, a market with 300K close potential buying targets is a lot more lucrative than one with 19K targets.

NoDak

No auto manufacture wants to only sell many of the "base level" vehicle. Profit is made in the fully optioned models. Luckily the G wagons have not change much over the years, unless you are making more than a fleeting glance, a 2000 model year doesn't look a great deal different than a 2023. Lease deals are much better on a Big 3 vehicle than a niche vehicle like a Grenadier. There is no doubt that Microsoft / RDO / Sanford surgeons etc... monied people in Fargo are buying the Ford GT type vehicles.

None the less, a market with 300K close potential buying targets is a lot more lucrative than one with 19K targets.
Yeah I get it. I’m just salty about it is all.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Sorry, they don't, though.

The hubris of doing all this hullabaloo without established places to buy it, much less service it...*chef's kiss."

View attachment 795948
So, there's no place within a six hour drive of me to see one, much less buy one? These have been spotted in the wild already, obviously...but there's no detailed list (with addresses) that show me where to get it serviced? See if you can find an address for the sales and service center in Philadelphia. But my favorite little nugget is this:

View attachment 795949

Oh. Ok. Customers are on their own if they are like me, and far away.

Of course, this is before the various design compromises...but that's for another thread.

So kind of like owning a Mercedes Sprinter van. Again, it's a brand new start up. Knowing that it's probably smart to wait a couple of years as I'm sure things will improve on every level unless the company goes under.

utherjorge

Observer

This was the cute copy that so many have bought, and what the suggestion is. Pretty far from the truth as a whole.

utherjorge

Observer
So kind of like owning a Mercedes Sprinter van. Again, it's a brand new start up. Knowing that it's probably smart to wait a couple of years as I'm sure things will improve on every level unless the company goes under.

I get the overall point. I just don't think that the current open window will be open that long. And I believe they've already missed it. But I'm wrong a lot.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Speaking of sprinters, I have a couple. My suggestion is to go to the local freight-liner shop. Much better service than the 1 in 5 Merc dealers that will work on a van, and I notoce they treat you like a customer and not a cash cow. I guess their normal base lives off the trucks, and fast, right, and honest wins the day.

nickw

Adventurer
When we purchased a ‘96 Discovery the LR dealer network was not that extensive. We had to drive to Philly area dealers from rural NJ. No biggie - I handled routine maintenance myself, scheduled warranty related dealer visits and enjoyed that vehicle for 16-years of daily service & extended travel.

This is no different, and I feel 90’s LR owners are somewhat well prepared for a new brand like Ineos. I’m really looking forward to getting my Grenadier off-road.
This rig is very different than a 30 year old Discovery unless you are really mechanically inclined. We own a reasonable current BMW with this engine, I wouldn't even know where to start...I'm sure I could learn but just don't have the time.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Actually, I might be able to answer my own question regarding an address in Philadelphia. Someone on the Ineos forum listed contact information in Philadelphia with an e-mail address ending in "RDS Automotive Group," which appears to be some sort of high-end franchise in Philly that includes Mclaren, Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Porsche, and Nissan (wat). This auto group seems to be well-liked and a very good place to work, not to mention to buy things from. So, perhaps that was a deciding factor.

I find it fascinating that they don't sell BMWs, which would be a primary choice, you'd think, considering BMW is considered high-end AND it's the powertrain of the Ineos rigs. I see 6 BMW locations in Philly, or within the typical radius.

Still no reason to buy one unless you like shiny new things no one else has, until they do.
Those types of auto sales orgs are basically just importer companies that specialize in selling expensive toys. They have fewer regulations they need to jump through vs a “auto” company. The Toyota Supra is just a BMW also. BMW isn’t really a high end brand, but they obviously have production capacity not being used if they are selling running gear to a 4x4 box builder and rebranded BMW vehicles to Toyota. Kinda like Jaguar and Rover using surplus running gear from various manufacturers over the yrs.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

(
Most people that are driving a $100K car are earning $250K +, and worth $2.5 million +, whether that's trust fund, or salary, or business ownership/stocks, or some combination.)
I would say that there are two types of $100,000 vehicle buyer. The largest % of those buyers aren’t buyers. They are renters especially today with the selfie / youtuber life.

A very small % of 250+k income type’s sitting on 2-5million in assets “buy” vehicles over $60,000. The only ones that lease / rent are business owners who lease through their company- very few lease high end cars in that manner (looks very bad to employees and the finance manager)

My entire housing development is the 250-600k yr bracket with homes worth 2-3million. The most expensive vehicles you see are top trim full sized SUVs. We have a couple like 3 high end EV trucks and one new retired toy Lambo something. No Gwagons, no new Porsches etc. If you go from the 1400 homes in our group across to the gated houses the income is in the 500-1mill zone and you see a few more Porsches and occasional 100+k cars but they are still rare and not typical. Thanks to kids sports and active parenting I know many of these folks. They buy their cars run them a long time. Or lease through their company they own etc. A very high number of them own multiple properties and are definitely worth over 5mill in real asset value.

Now!!! If we go to say Florida. Its all about the poser factor!! You might live in a $150,000 cinder block house but your leasing a $150,000 car and running a $250,000 boat every weekend on a $80,000 income sourced from three different jobs till the repo man finds your hidden toys and takes em😆😆

Reactions: plh

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Speaking of sprinters, I have a couple. My suggestion is to go to the local freight-liner shop. Much better service than the 1 in 5 Merc dealers that will work on a van, and I notoce they treat you like a customer and not a cash cow. I guess their normal base lives off the trucks, and fast, right, and honest wins the day.
Have the sprinters been good to you compared to transit vans?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater