Yeti and the Marshmallow

MrBeast

Explorer
Just a FYI,
I've recently read about how some oxygen sensors get need to get their air through the wiring and should not be soldered, so getting a universal O2 sensor and soldering the connections to the oem connector is not a good idea.

I'd just spend the extra for a O2 sensor with the oem connector supplied.

Quote from:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm

Ah yes, technology making our lives easier.

And people wonder why I am spending thousands of dollars retrofitting a 5.9 cummins into my truck that will run with 3 wires...

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Well, I guess I learned my lesson. Anyway, talking to my friend he suggests I invest in a good crimping tool and wire strippers, and use marine grade crimps with adhesive inside for piece of mind if I want.

So I need to buy some tools, and supplies and do some practicing. Any suggestions on a good tool? Should I go with one that has different dyes or what?

MrBeast

Explorer
Well, I guess I learned my lesson. Anyway, talking to my friend he suggests I invest in a good crimping tool and wire strippers, and use marine grade crimps with adhesive inside for piece of mind if I want.

So I need to buy some tools, and supplies and do some practicing. Any suggestions on a good tool? Should I go with one that has different dyes or what?

The ones I showed you last night, they are made by Klien tool, and they are avalable at home depot.

Also, get the crimp connectors that Fastenal sells, I have had really really good luck with them, they are quality. you want the ones that are semi transparent, not the ones that are the cheesy opaque looking plastic like you find at autozone.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
The ones I showed you last night, they are made by Klien tool, and they are avalable at home depot.

Also, get the crimp connectors that Fastenal sells, I have had really really good luck with them, they are quality. you want the ones that are semi transparent, not the ones that are the cheesy opaque looking plastic like you find at autozone.

Sounds good. I will head over that way and do some shopping today.

MrBeast

Explorer
Sounds good. I will head over that way and do some shopping today.

You will be very happy with the kliens, my dad is a master electrican, that is what he uses, that is what I use, that is what anyone who is in the electrical trade who I know uses, it is because they are quality and built to last.

The strippers/crimpers that I have are 10 years old and still working great.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I need about 15-20 feet of 20 gauge wire for my project, should an extra 5 feet do for practice? Also, I should pick up a voltmeter to check the connections, right?

MrBeast

Explorer
I need about 15-20 feet of 20 gauge wire for my project, should an extra 5 feet do for practice? Also, I should pick up a voltmeter to check the connections, right?

A meter is a good investment, allthough be ware, cheap ones can give you grief, you may be better off trying to find a fluke in a pawn shop.

and as for wire, just remember, you can always cut some off, but it is auful hard to stretch it.

MrBeast

Explorer
they have the rolls at orileys that I belive are 20 or 25 feet.

You will want to coordinate the color of your wire.

on 12V applications black is usally ground. Red is hot, unless you have a white and a black run togeather, then the white may be ground, it can get confusing, for what you are doing though id stick with a black ground, then run a yellow to your camera and an orange to the screen.

This way when you have to trouble shoot it later, it will be much easier to tell what is what and where it goes when tracing it all out.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I realize people are trying to help me. I admitted my mistake and moved past it. I've taken bunches of sound advice and altered my plans.

Silverado

Adventurer
Just had a thought that may help since you are in the Cali area. Be on the lookout for Hummer H3 takeoff wheels and tires on CraigsList since most of those trucks get the ghetto hoops shortly after leaving the dealership. The wheels are 16" 6 lug and come with 265/75/16 all terrains from the factory. Should be a direct bolt-on to your astro; or you could swap the tires and re-sell the H3 wheels if you like the steelies better.

Usually the wheels and tires can be found for much cheaper than a new set of tires themselves

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Just had a thought that may help since you are in the Cali area. Be on the lookout for Hummer H3 takeoff wheels and tires on CraigsList since most of those trucks get the ghetto hoops shortly after leaving the dealership. The wheels are 16" 6 lug and come with 265/75/16 all terrains from the factory. Should be a direct bolt-on to your astro; or you could swap the tires and re-sell the H3 wheels if you like the steelies better.

Usually the wheels and tires can be found for much cheaper than a new set of tires themselves

That's a good idea. Those tires are too tall to fit my van though, even with a 2" lift I think the max I can fit is 225/75/16. But I just checked on Craigslists and there is a set of wheels going for 250. It's a good suggestion for when/if I swap my wheels, but for now I think I'll stay with the stock wheels and buy an extra OEM for my full size spare.

On a side note, we have two pretty sharp curves coming up the hill to my complex, and there are 3 or 4 of those Hummers with those huge wheels driving around. I've seen all of them take that corner a bunch of times and every single time they tires squeal ridiculously loud.

bat

Explorer
Kleins and Fluke are great tools but for you application I am not sure it is needed. You can find tools less expensive and still do the job for what you need it for.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I putzed around Home Depot for a few hours and talked to a few sales associates and electricians before I made my purchase. A nice guy named Steve even showed me how he usually does his crimps, heat shrinking, etc.

I'm going out right now to start hooking it up, then my neighbor Rich is going to come check out my work, I'll be back with updates!

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Alright, I'm in over my head. I need help.

The license plate light is in the way and I don't have the tools to relocate it, also I think it will interfere with the back up camera at night.

Secondly I managed to find screws that fit the license plate on one side, but the other side is stripped out.

My van does have 2 spare 10 Amp fuses, I just have no idea how to wire the camera and monitor to them. My guess is I need to disconnect the battery and unbolt the face plate from the fuse box. but I can't even relocate a light so I am not even going to attempt it.

Suggestions? Anyone in San Diego want to help an idiot out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl