Yeti and the Marshmallow

MrBeast

Explorer
I agree, I do not want to do this. So if I go to an automotive store or something and get one of these plugs there will be a wire I can splice the green relay wire directly into?

yeah, what you need to do is get a butt splice, either a blue or a yellow one, you can put 2 wires into 1 end, simply stick the green wire, and the red wire on the harness into one end of a butt splice and then when you install your stereo you can simply inser the red wire on the stereo and crimp it in the other.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
yeah, what you need to do is get a butt splice, either a blue or a yellow one, you can put 2 wires into 1 end, simply stick the green wire, and the red wire on the harness into one end of a butt splice and then when you install your stereo you can simply inser the red wire on the stereo and crimp it in the other.

I have some 22/18 gauge butt splices I picked up. So what am I looking for to buy?

MrBeast

Explorer
I have some 22/18 gauge butt splices I picked up. So what am I looking for to buy?

The splices come in 3 colors, yellow which is for 10/12 ga, blue which will handle 14-18, and the red which is 20 up.

using 22 gage, you should be able to splice 2 in 1 end of a blue butt splice.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Ok, I'm not sure what kind of harness I am looking for so maybe you could point me in the right direction? Will I be without a stereo in the mean time?

MrBeast

Explorer
Ok, I'm not sure what kind of harness I am looking for so maybe you could point me in the right direction? Will I be without a stereo in the mean time?

yeah you will be with out one in the mean time.

go to crutchfeld.com and go to the outfit your vehicle thing, and it will look it up for you.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Ok, just bought a harness from Crutchfield. Now I have an excuse to buy my new stereo. ;)

By god I'll be sleeping on a bare metal floor, but at least I'll have my tunes! Haha.

MrBeast

Explorer
Ok, just bought a harness from Crutchfield. Now I have an excuse to buy my new stereo. ;)

By god I'll be sleeping on a bare metal floor, but at least I'll have my tunes! Haha.

Man, sheet of plywood is about 18 bucks, that with some carpet on it and you will be good to go.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
So here is a question, couldn't I just splice my camera and monitor into my radio harness? It's only 1.5A, 10W, and they have in-line fuses.

MrBeast

Explorer
So here is a question, couldn't I just splice my camera and monitor into my radio harness? It's only 1.5A, 10W, and they have in-line fuses.

No, you need to seperate your cirucits because if everything is tied togeather it creates problems. things can back feed, and cause other issues.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Ok. Another stupid question. I figure I am buying a stereo I might as well get new speakers since I only need two.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dual-XR4110-3-5-mm-Mechless-Receiver/dp/B002OMB7FE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1299541060&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: Dual XR4110 AM/FM USB/SD/3.5-mm Mechless Receiver (Gray): Electronics[/ame]

It's rated for 60 watts (4 channels). Does that mean I only wire 2 channels and am limited to 30 watts? Because the speakers I'm looking at are 180 watts. So I'd need an amp?

MrBeast

Explorer
Ok. Another stupid question. I figure I am buying a stereo I might as well get new speakers since I only need two.

Amazon.com: Dual XR4110 AM/FM USB/SD/3.5-mm Mechless Receiver (Gray): Electronics

It's rated for 60 watts (4 channels). Does that mean I only wire 2 channels and am limited to 30 watts? Because the speakers I'm looking at are 180 watts. So I'd need an amp?

Id say you would be a lot better off with a Kenwood, that thing wont last long. They are pretty crappy.

It is only going to produce 30 watts on the 2 channels you have hooked up.

This is what id recomend.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113MP345U/Kenwood-KDC-MP345U.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFBrand|Kenwood

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFC1362/Kenwood-KFC-1362S.html?tp=105

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I don't want one with a cd player, I never use them. That dual one was the only non-mechanical one I could find. Also I don't think it's that bad of a unit, some of the reviews on other sites have said it's pretty decent.

Anyway, I was just out looking at my van. There is literally no where to get wires from the interior to the engine bay. And I do not want to punch through my firewall and end up with a leak or something. Without a lot of trouble and hassle it will be hard for me to get the wires from the cab to the engine bay.

I think I might just end up tapping into one of my 12V outlets.

Edit: I didn't mean for that to sound snotty. I just have no real use for one with a cd player and would prefer a cd-less one.

Last edited:

MrBeast

Explorer
You might want to rethink that because if you have a long drive, there is nothing like a book on tape or something like that to keep you going.

I hardly ever use my CD player either, but it is nice to have it as a backup.

For getting wires through, drill a 1/2" hole in the firewall, run the wires in convaluted tubing. It will be fine, if you are super parinoid about leaks, just put a dab of RTV around it.

I have done this on several of the 40 something vehicles I have owned, and never had an issue. just plan where you are going to drill carefully and you will be good to go.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
You might want to rethink that because if you have a long drive, there is nothing like a book on tape or something like that to keep you going.

I hardly ever use my CD player either, but it is nice to have it as a backup.

For getting wires through, drill a 1/2" hole in the firewall, run the wires in convaluted tubing. It will be fine, if you are super parinoid about leaks, just put a dab of RTV around it.

I have done this on several of the 40 something vehicles I have owned, and never had an issue. just plan where you are going to drill carefully and you will be good to go.

It has a USB port, I bought a Bluetooth dongle for it with my purchase. I can piggyback off my laptop. :sombrero: I am a bit worried about the wattage, but I can always buy a small pre-amp to use more of the wattage for the speakers I bought. Not too worried. I need to stay within a budget and can't afford to go whoopie on a stereo/speaker system.

I asked on Astro/Safari and I can pull them through where my hood release cable goes through too. Would there be any reason to not go that route?

My mother is probably driving out to Texas with me. She likes Texas and wanted to accompany on the first leg of my adventure. So we're going to the Grand Canyon and Roswell New Mexico.

MrBeast

Explorer
It has a USB port, I bought a Bluetooth dongle for it with my purchase. I can piggyback off my laptop. :sombrero: I am a bit worried about the wattage, but I can always buy a small pre-amp to use more of the wattage for the speakers I bought. Not too worried. I need to stay within a budget and can't afford to go whoopie on a stereo/speaker system.

I asked on Astro/Safari and I can pull them through where my hood release cable goes through too. Would there be any reason to not go that route?

My mother is probably driving out to Texas with me. She likes Texas and wanted to accompany on the first leg of my adventure. So we're going to the Grand Canyon and Roswell New Mexico.

yes, too much stuff in one hole will rub togeather, and if you have to replace the cable, you will have to pull the wiring.

Suck it up, drill a hole already. It is something that will take less time than it has to write the posts here pertaining to the subject. You are over thinking it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl