YETI Interior Build/Overview

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Below parts are for a basic 12 volt system.

Need to decide how you want to handle 120 volts. Shore-power? Inverter only? Inverter/converter?
Also need to decide how you are going to charge batteries from 120 volt source On board charger? clip on charger? charger with UPS? Inverter/converter/charger with UPS? If want UPS then also need another 3 stage charger or an Inverter/converter/with selectable 2 or 3 way charging.

Easies and by far least expensive of above choices, is an inverter wired directly to the batteries and a good 3 stage clip-on charger or an on board charger with UPS with selectable 2 or 3 stage charging.
No transfer switches and 120 volt distribution/circuit panel are needed then.

Below is from Blue Sea:

12 volt Fuse Block
http://bluesea.com/category/81/21/productline/126
126.png

Volt and Amp monitoring
I use 8235 and 8236
http://bluesea.com/category/94/97/productline/138
138.png

Battery selector switch, Bank 1 or 2 and combine 1+2.
http://bluesea.com/category/78/1/products/3002
4.png

Last edited:

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Yes that is correct.

I do have pre-drilled holes for 1 more battery box in front of the one that's there.

Sweet! seriously consider buying another frame rail battery box and another battery that is same as you have now.
KISS less wires running back and forth with above

You mentioned having room for 6 batteries on rear skid plate. How would you charge them??? Solar? (smiley face winky crap)
It the ol' weak chain link stuff, everything needs to be balanced, ie charging system and battery bank size.

Last edited:

pratty85

Adventurer
Sweet! seriously consider buying another frame rail battery box and another battery that is same as you have now.
KISS less wires running back and forth with above

You mentioned having room for 6 batteries on rear skid plate. How would you charge them??? Solar? (smiley face winky crap)
It the ol' week chain link stuff, everything needs to be balanced, ie charging system and battery bank size.

I was going to put two "house" batteries in the skid-plate and charge them with the second alternator. Since It would put my batteries closer to where I am mounting everything in the back. The only wire I would need going to the front is my charging wire coming straight from the 2nd alternator.

Will this work? I would have two entirely different systems. One for starting, cabin accessories, forward lights etc. and the other for all living accessories. With a possible bridge between them with cutoff just in case I need one to charge the other.

Easies and by far least expensive of above choices, is an inverter wired directly to the batteries and a good 3 stage clip-on charger or an on board charger with UPS with selectable 2 or 3 stage charging.

I like the sound of this with above scenario. What do you think?

Last edited:

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I was going to put two "house" batteries in the skid-plate and charge them with the second alternator. Since It would put my batteries closer to where I am mounting everything in the back. The only wire I would need going to the front is my charging wire coming straight from the 2nd alternator.

Will this work? I would have two entirely different systems. One for starting, cabin accessories, forward lights etc. and the other for all living accessories. With a possible bridge between them with cutoff just in case I need one to charge the other.

I like the sound of this with above scenario. What do you think?

I dont know enough about dual Ford alternators to offer any useful advice. Are they internal or external voltage regulated.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I know you want to put two house dedicated batteries in the skid plate... and that's fine to do, no problem at all with that set-up... I've had many similar set-ups too.

FWIW I've been DIY'ing vans and boats for decades with different manual switching, isolating or solenoid controlled separate house and starting battery bank systems.

but I'll pitch again for another frame rail battery box for a total of 3 batteries.
Why??? Easy of wiring! With another battery on the frame rail, there would only be two short wires running to the other battery on the frame rail.
No switches, isolators, solenoids nor many feet of expensive battery cables running back and forth.

IMHO four newer products makes it unnecessary to separate house and starting batteries in vans.
Combining house and starting batteries into one bank means more total amps for house use with less batteries.
Perkert effect problems benefit from a larger bank.

Products:
1. AGM batteries with their ability to very fast charge with high amp engine alternators.
2. Reliable and easy to wire amp and voltage gauges to monitor battery bank.
3. Small, light weight, reliable and very quite Honda and Yamaha generators (1000 or 2000 watts)
4. 3 stage chargers with a 2 stage UPS setting.

Not trying to be a goof that only knows one way of doing things or my way is the right way, nonsense.
Have fun with it. I'm confidant you'll put together a set-up that will work great for your needs.

pratty85

Adventurer
I know you want to put two house dedicated batteries in the skid plate... and that's fine to do, no problem at all with that set-up... I've had many similar set-ups too.

FWIW I've been DIY'ing vans and boats for decades with different manual switching, isolating or solenoid controlled separate house and starting battery bank systems.

but I'll pitch again for another frame rail battery box for a total of 3 batteries.
Why??? Easy of wiring! With another battery on the frame rail, there would only be two short wires running to the other battery on the frame rail.
No switches, isolators, solenoids nor many feet of expensive battery cables running back and forth.

IMHO four newer products makes it unnecessary to separate house and starting batteries in vans.
Combining house and starting batteries into one bank means more total amps for house use with less batteries.
Perkert effect problems benefit from a larger bank.

Products:
1. AGM batteries with their ability to very fast charge with high amp engine alternators.
2. Reliable and easy to wire amp and voltage gauges to monitor battery bank.
3. Small, light weight, reliable and very quite Honda and Yamaha generators (1000 or 2000 watts)
4. 3 stage chargers with a 2 stage UPS setting.

Not trying to be a goof that only knows one way of doing things or my way is the right way, nonsense.
Have fun with it. I'm confidant you'll put together a set-up that will work great for your needs.

I really appreciate your input and effort to help me! That's why I love this forum, people helping like minded people accomplish a goal. :elkgrin:

I am going to start looking for a 2nd battery frame box.

Questions:
Should I wire the second alternator to the third battery since the wire is already there?
Will I still be able to run my fuse/inverter/monitoriung setup in the back? I have heard that less wire length between battery and inverter, fuse setup, etc is better? Is this true?

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper

Great find!

... Think that's the correct box for your van, but lets double check to make sure that it is the correct battery box for your Van.
From your pictures and info about your battery size it may be smaller that yours???

Here are pictures of an extra one that I have, that is the same as the Ebay link.

241661_4548695079997_1467095565_o.jpg

285933_4548698160074_1055760714_o.jpg

Size description from Ebay link.

16 x 10 x 9 1/2 inches.

maximun battery size 12"long x 7 1/2"wide 6 1/2" tall

Hope it's the same size as yours

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
I really appreciate your input and effort to help me! That's why I love this forum, people helping like minded people accomplish a goal. :elkgrin:

I am going to start looking for a 2nd battery frame box.

Questions:
Should I wire the second alternator to the third battery since the wire is already there?
Will I still be able to run my fuse/inverter/monitoriung setup in the back? I have heard that less wire length between battery and inverter, fuse setup, etc is better? Is this true?

Need to research that second alternator wire more and how your alternators are currently wired.
For a one battery bank set-up, want to have both alternators working together.

Will be posting more later, but to answer your 2nd question.
Less Battery cables anywhere is preferred.
You'll be OK on placement of inverter and other components in rear metal box inside your van.
Need to size cables for run length and watts of inverter.

Before you jump into this one battery bank for house and starting use, a small generator is important to have along.
Mistake WILL happen, that's why the traditional set-up has separate starting and house batteries.
Of course the small generator has many other use.
There are also really cool and very expensive Gasoline powered battery chargers.
If this is your first project, may not have an appreciation of dollars savings for many parts not needed for a simple one bank set-up.
That money saved will go a long way to pay for a small generator.

There is (was) a USA importer of the gas power charger, can't find link now.

http://www.christieengineering.com.au/Products.asp?PCat=

MIGX10080ND.jpg

Last edited:

pratty85

Adventurer
Great find!

... Think that's the correct box for your van, but lets double check to make sure that it is the correct battery box for your Van.
From your pictures and info about your battery size it may be smaller that yours???

Size description from Ebay link.

16 x 10 x 9 1/2 inches.

maximun battery size 12"long x 7 1/2"wide 6 1/2" tall

Hope it's the same size as yours

My battery is 12"x7 1/2"x 6 1/2" So it will fit!
Are you interested in selling yours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk