Yetti’s Pacific North West Exploration & Expeditions Picture heavy

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Individual pouches

Airway: Gen 1 pouch. All replaced as I did this.
• Chest Seals
• OPA’s ( goes into the mouth to keep an open airway)
• NPA’s ( Goes into the nose to keep open airway, if oral won’t work)
• Lube, always take time to lube
• King LT-D/ Will be replaced with an I Gel. When it gets here Wed. Goes into the Trachea to keep an air way in a PT. Like during CPR and attaches to BVM.
• BVM, Bag Valve Mask, fold out of that round case.
• Missing is a small suction bulb.
IMG_20240330_150425_691.jpgIMG_20240330_150357_148.jpg

Bleeding (Small blood)

• Bandaids, mix- cloth.
• 2x2 Gauze
• 4x4 Gauze
• Trauma pad
• Rolls of Gauze
• Alcohol Schwabies
• CoFlex. (vet wrap, sticks better, is .50/c roll, and comes in pretty colors)

IMG_20240330_151544_111.jpgIMG_20240330_151538_550.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
You may notice some things are in multiple pouches, as designed. And since they all have Velcro backs they stay in place. Or can be grabbed and chucked to someone else. Or re packaged into a different bag. As well as you could add more, of any of them. Maybe it’s a chain saw juggling event, so you add extra hemorrhage pouches.

IMG_20240330_153051_976.jpgIMG_20240330_152257_324.jpgIMG_20240330_152153_221.jpg

^^^^
Environmental; Misc 2

• Red chem lights
  • Green chem lights
  • Blue chem lights
  • Extra ziplock bags
  • Emergency blanket
  • Burn dressing
  • Hot hands
  • Ice pack
  • Sting & Bite Ampules.

IMG_20240330_151925_964.jpgIMG_20240330_151902_828.jpg

Bandages; Ortho/Trauma etc. ^^

• Triangle Bandages
  • Petroleum gauze
  • Coflex
  • Ace wraps
  • Eye Patch
  • 1,2 and 3-inch-wide gauze rolls.

IMG_20240330_151209_354.jpgIMG_20240330_151113_231.jpg

Hemorrhage ( big blood) ^^^^

• QuikClot- Combat Gauze. For Z packing bleeds.
  • CAT, Tourniquet.
  • Israeli Bandages- Work well, but are something you should be used to using.

Yes, some items are showing old Exp Dates.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
The pouch that has hands down, gotten the most abuse, and use. Is the one that’s is marked Vitals. There is not a patient I have laid hands on, that this has not been with me. With maybe a few exceptions of patients I was not expecting. Like on a random flight or hike.

Vitals:

• BP cuff, Pistol grip. For one handed use
  • Pulse Ox, small black pouch
  • Glucometer
  • Pen Light
  • Pen, and permanent marker.
  • Pediatric cuff for the BP cuff
  • Write in the rain, PT notes booklet.
  • Band-Aids,
  • I am almost deaf in the right ear. So a good stethoscope is a must, Littman Cardiology III.
IMG_20240330_153516_168.jpgIMG_20240330_153421_376.jpgIMG_20240330_153351_856.jpgIMG_20240330_153336_993.jpgIMG_20240330_153334_407.jpg

And various patches for my hat. MEDIC-AEMT-PAWLEY-SAFETY

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Meds

• Eye Drops
  • Ammonia Inhalants
  • Loperamide
  • Antacids
  • Ibuprofen
  • Tylenol
  • Benadryl
  • Insta-Glucose
  • Activated Charcoal
  • Pain & Itch relief spray.
  • Epi (Sometimes pen, or vial) Its still about $500/pen (not pictured)
  • Narcan. (not pictured)
Anything that is expired, gets replaced/removed before the bag goes out. I have so much expired stuff. That I struggle to always throw it away. But for family, I don’t hesitate to use it. Or give it away.

IMG_20240330_150856_536.jpgIMG_20240330_150854_915.jpgIMG_20240330_150851_060.jpgIMG_20240330_150844_634.jpgIMG_20240330_150838_955.jpgIMG_20240330_150821_589.jpgIMG_20240330_150725_646.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
As you can see, a few random things are in there to fill voids, and keep it tight. Most medications are in single use packages. It makes things not rattle, as well as keeps everything flat and packable.

IMG_20240330_144906_704.jpg

^^ Gloves, Pen, Lights/ Markers. Tiny field guide. Cloth tape 1 inch, cloth tape 3 inches. All pre edged. So you can pull them with a gloved hand. And some disposable trauma sheers on a leash.

IMG_20240330_144850_459.jpg

IMG_20240330_144857_968.jpg

^^You will see I have SAM Splints around the edge to give the bag some shape, and structure. They are light weight, and worth their weight in gold when you need them. It also serves a double purpose and takes some weight out of the equation. I believe I have 4 32’inchers in there.
IMG_20240330_153553_968.jpg

Everything switched into the new pouches, and new bag. With new tape labels. Except the vitals pouch, as it gets pulled out more than anything else. And the velcro is pretty strong.

And the most important thing of all, > is the training, or knowledge. The best gear in the world does not do much if you have no idea what to look for, what it means, or what to do. I would priorities training over the equipment any day as far as the medical goes.

Obviously, this is all pretty extensive, and expensive. So not what most people would carry. Edit * In fact not even what I carry all the time* The only thing not covered, is the small kit kept in my glove box. It’s the same one that I took through Patagonia on the moto trip.

Any questions, comments; concerns? That was A LOT of info to absorb.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Seeing your clotting packs made me think of the one I have had on my ATV for the past six or seven years. Do you know if they have an expiration date?

The products that have the clotting agent impregnated into the gauze work better, IMHO. And seem to have better shelf life. All you see in the hemorrhage pack, is getting replaced. Including the TQ’s.

Pretty much everything has an expiration these days. The Actual QuikClot brand, Z packs. Have a listed shelf of 5years. The Specific Name brands, you could maybe stretch to 10 yrs in a stable shelf storage environment. I haven’t seen studies on those uses after listed expiration. I can say I have seen them used past the date.

I would guess* from a risk management standpoint they cut it in ½ from the lab tests. They could show less efficacy then one would expect. (Of course, if the seal is broken, or its been sitting in the sun for all the time, it would probably be less than the listed)

When it comes to the TQ, and hemostatic agents. I am hard on only using name brands from a mfgr I know. And personally wont use off brands.

As far as meds, I posted an article a few years back in the medicine sub forum about the DID using most OTC meds up to 15 years past expiration is a stable storage environment, with minimal loss of efficacy.

Some of the initial products used Shell Fish, and or a chemical reaction that created heat. Those were unstable, you can still find them in old kits. I don’t believe they sell them in the US anymore. Those type could actually do harm when used correct, so would chuck them after the date. > most of these were a powder you would dump into the wound.

Thank you for the overview of your kits.
Much appreciated!
No worries. I had not gone completely through everything in some time. I always knew what I had, and where it was. But its always good to go over stuff.

Especially since the last few years, the majority of the times I was provided everything I needed. With the exception of my personal preferred diagnostic tools.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I am sure you know this although others may not, according to my cardiologist ibuprofen and Advil type pain killers should not be given to people with heart conditions. Tylenol is ok. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Good Question/Clarification. You may have noticed a lack of nitro in my kit. Depending on what level of aid I am working, its used/provided when needed.

NSAID- AKA Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. It can increase the risk of heart attack and stroke. Regardless of a heart condition with long term use. It however affects those with heart disease greater than those without. There are a lot of variances, as far as each individual goes. Medical history and even how things may affect the Rx’s they are already taking. I think the most recent FDA update on this was in 2019.

The short answer is NSAIDS can cause the Kidneys to retain more salt and water into the body, increasing fluid overload=Stress on the heart.

ITTOG

Good Question/Clarification. You may have noticed a lack of nitro in my kit. Depending on what level of aid I am working, its used/provided when needed.

NSAID- AKA Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. It can increase the risk of heart attack and stroke. Regardless of a heart condition with long term use. It however affects those with heart disease greater than those without. There are a lot of variances, as far as each individual goes. Medical history and even how things may affect the Rx’s they are already taking. I think the most recent FDA update on this was in 2019.

The short answer is NSAIDS can cause the Kidneys to retain more salt and water into the body, increasing fluid overload=Stress on the heart.
I was on NSAIDs for almost 20 years until I had a blood clot last year. Fortunately no heart disease in the family but I've always been concerned about the long-term effects. So far it seems I have been fortunate without any heart issues. Hopefully nothing ever creeps up. The downside of being off the NSAIDS is I am in pain all the time and taking a lot more opioids. Which is worse, NSAIDs or opioids? I guess going by the doctor's it would be the NSAIDs.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
AbleGuy,
No worries, glad to do it. I take for granted I think all my background sometimes, and its mundane for me. I enjoy sharing and teaching though. And if folks found it valuable and or learned something, or made em think. Always a win.

+ at work right now, I have no shortage of time. It has given me plenty of time to work on CE hours, and catch up on ExPo though. And writing down my stories. I am waiting to hear if I will have to spend some time in Vegas for work. As my current office location has slowed down a lot, may be downsized. So I may be looking into the next thing.

ITTOG
Sorry to hear that. Glad you are recovered. And hope you continue to find many adventures for long into the future.

As far as your question, there have been no shortage of studies on it. And they both have their own contraindications and interactions. And I could provide multiple articles.

Not a bad idea to carry some narcan. For anyone who is prescribed Opioids. It can be bought on Amazon. Is about 40/usd. And has zero side effects if given when not needed. And is just a nose spray.

I think the one I just got has a few years’ shelf life. Unfortunately, ½ the people I see who need it, are folks who just forgot they took their Rx already that day. Heck, I can barely remember to take my vitamins. And forget all the time.

The bugger of it is, there is no perfect answer for all things.

I am what most would consider a young guy. 34, and I have started taking care of myself better. But have always been hard on myself & body, and my professions have not been easy on the body. Every time it rains I am all sorts of stiff, and limp around. I worry about what it will be like for me as I continue to march against time. What I do know, is I like being active and outdoors. So..ima do that until I can’t. And do my best to enjoy every minute I can.

Jerry, who has a long time running thread here on Expo, is an inspiration for me. He just keeps going. :) His adventures may have changed over the years, but they have not stopped. I think a lot of us are familiar with him. If not, check out his thread it’s a good read.

* Jerry's thread " My Journeys" added.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Its looking like a good chance of some Motorcycles and Peru this November. Albiet only for a few weeks.

And for med kit, continuity and my own records. I gel, Narcan, and body bag (can also be used as stretcher but would suck) added to the main kit bag.
Sent from my Titan using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater