Zam15’s Tacoma Build

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx
Your truck is poop, sell it to me now before it loses too much value! Seriously, this truck is the one I dream about. I prefer 1st gen DC over 2nd Gen DC all day. The 1st gen is simply better. better bones, better skin. Yours is the nicest one I've ever seen. I call dibs. Tell you what, mine for yours with 15K from you. killer deal! hahahhaaha! Seriously nice truck amigo.

Zam15

Explorer
Sweet!

I need to get mo onboard air setup worked out.
Don't we all.

Love the tacoma man and the pictures are awesome! how is the weight of the RTT on top of you camper? Was thinking about putting one on mine but hear a lot of people say its too heavy for the top.

No problems with the shell, just with the bedsides, had to brace them. If you had a vertical sided shell it should reduce the issue.

Keep up the good work Derek! It's looking good!

Thanks! Hey so did you ever get all that moon dust out of your truck?

Nice! I'd like to figure out a better OBA setup as well.

This is my first attempt so I am doing one thing at a time, still have a few things to pickup (air tank, manifold) but it should turn out good.

Your truck is poop, sell it to me now before it loses too much value! Seriously, this truck is the one I dream about. I prefer 1st gen DC over 2nd Gen DC all day. The 1st gen is simply better. better bones, better skin. Yours is the nicest one I've ever seen. I call dibs. Tell you what, mine for yours with 15K from you. killer deal! hahahhaaha! Seriously nice truck amigo.

Ha thanks! But sorry this one is a keeper, took forever to find her because no one sells theirs! Hope to keep her running for another 300k and then swap in a new motor for another 400 :smiley_drive:

So I got the compressor mounted and man it was a tight fit! Had to cut one bracket and move another to make room, literally have less than 1cm on the sides. But overall a perfect fit! Don't have much space left in the engine bay anymore...

dustinxgarrett

#betheadventure

You kinda got me thinking about double cabs and such and figured I'd see what's available locally, for ****s and giggles. Oh wait, first listing I see: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5079939684.html $25K, damn, sweet rig though!

Zam15

Explorer
You kinda got me thinking about double cabs and such and figured I'd see what's available locally, for ****s and giggles. Oh wait, first listing I see: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5079939684.html $25K, damn, sweet rig though!

Thats a turn key expedition rig right there. Wish one like that would have been up for sale when I was looking, would have saved me some time and money lol

But ya just did a pressure test on the coolant system and checked cylinder three, and there is a minor coolant leak. Looks like my head gasket is done for, have to have a new one put in :( This is going to delay my other upgrades for a little. At least once it's swapped out I will hopefully not have to worry again for another few hundred thousand miles.

Zam15

Explorer
Why did you decide on that vs co2?

Don't like the concept of having to find a place to top off my tank every time it runs low ($15+) specifically in remote areas. I would hate to run out of co2 and not be able to air up or engage my lockers... co2 also seems like a waste to inflate a raft, air horns, air bags, its also a little more complicated to hook up everything, as the pressure in a co2 tank is much higher. I have also heard that co2 is bad for air lockers and seals but I have nothing to back that up...

Also got a decent deal on the pump, and air unlimited is free (hopefully)!

Just remembered this thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/110607-CO2-vs-Portable-Air-Compressor

"Only problem is the cost of refills and finding somewhere to fill it at a reasonable price. "

Just sounds like another PITA and something I don't want to think about before leaving on a trip... But to each their own.

Last edited:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Don't like the concept of having to find a place to top off my tank every time it runs low ($15+) specifically in remote areas. I would hate to run out of co2 and not be able to air up or engage my lockers... co2 also seems like a waste to inflate a raft, air horns, air bags, its also a little more complicated to hook up everything, as the pressure in a co2 tank is much higher. I have also heard that co2 is bad for air lockers and seals but I have nothing to back that up...

Also got a decent deal on the pump, and air unlimited is free (hopefully)!

Just remembered this thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/110607-CO2-vs-Portable-Air-Compressor

"Only problem is the cost of refills and finding somewhere to fill it at a reasonable price. "

Just sounds like another PITA and something I don't want to think about before leaving on a trip... But to each their own.

Eh. My 20lb bottle lasts over a season doing my 35" tires and my dads 34s and random other people. So around 30+ fill ups from 10 to 32psi.

Co2 is actually better for air lockers. It's dry. No condensation at all.

To me seems much easier to hook up. All you need is an adjustable regulator and your done. Can run everything at that point.

But fair enough! Was just curious.

I know my co2 fills my 35x12.5r15s about twice as fast as that dual compressor does while airing a 33x10.5r15. That's really why I love it. So damn fast.

But I know that compressor does good as well. Buddy has it. Still need an air tank for air tools though.

Zam15

Explorer
Eh. My 20lb bottle lasts over a season doing my 35" tires and my dads 34s and random other people. So around 30+ fill ups from 10 to 32psi.

To me seems much easier to hook up. All you need is an adjustable regulator and your done. Can run everything at that point.

I know my co2 fills my 35x12.5r15s about twice as fast as that dual compressor does while airing a 33x10.5r15. That's really why I love it. So damn fast.

But I know that compressor does good as well. Buddy has it. Still need an air tank for air tools though.

Good points, ya I have been on a few runs with guys that have co2 and it is fast as heck, would be hard get an air setup that speedy. Figure if I add an air tank I could fill er up before and it should should reduce the air up times. I have a set of 35s in the future as well so I needed the upgrade. Still impressive how many fills you can get out of a co2 tank.

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
Good points, ya I have been on a few runs with guys that have co2 and it is fast as heck, would be hard get an air setup that speedy. Figure if I add an air tank I could fill er up before and it should should reduce the air up times. I have a set of 35s in the future as well so I needed the upgrade. Still impressive how many fills you can get out of a co2 tank.

Yea I don't think most realize how many you actually get. It's quite a bit.

As for lockers. I plan on using this and paintball canisters. One canister will do thousands of actuator flips.

http://www.ox-usa.com/shifters/437-ox-co2-air-system.html

Have a buddy with it and it works great. Plus keep my tire/tool co2 free.

seanpistol

Explorer

Hmmm.... interesting. I just found this thread on building your own CO2 getup - http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/build-your-own-co2-tank-system-–-high-quality-lowest-cost.479803/

I could put my MV50 on backup duty... worst part about airing down is how long it takes to air back up. And I just made the jump to 35s.

Zam15

Explorer
Alright so two new heads with associated seals, an oil change, brake job and she is back up and running, and my bank account is empty but it's a much better option than breaking down in the middle of the desert and the piece of mind is worth it for me. Truck should outlast me know hopefully. No more upgrades for a while however... :(

Guess I should have expected the cost for replacing half the motor. :eek:

Zam15

Explorer
Last few parts for the on-board air are flowing in, now to find the best place to mount this baby!

2.5 Gallon Viair Tank - Should run the air tools nicely.

shmabs

Explorer
Do you by chance frequent the rancho bernardo area? I work in the Cleveland National Forest H.Q. on Rancho Bernardo road and have seen your truck a few times.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater