2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

XJLI

Adventurer
Clutch, I think you would be stoked with an access cab first gen Tundra. Outside of the lack of manual in the V8. I loved mine and it's build quality was great, better than our more recent FJC which didn't feel like it was screwed together as well. The gen 1 Tundras are a great size too.

I'm thinking more and more about the 1st gen Tundras. I had a rusty T100 for 3 weeks up until last week (cool truck, WAYY too much rust for me to keep it to DD) and sold it. I might grab a lower miles 05-06 DC Tundra from someplace where rust isn't much of a thing, then undercoat the hell out of it.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I'm thinking more and more about the 1st gen Tundras. I had a rusty T100 for 3 weeks up until last week (cool truck, WAYY too much rust for me to keep it to DD) and sold it. I might grab a lower miles 05-06 DC Tundra from someplace where rust isn't much of a thing, then undercoat the hell out of it.

I liked the t100 too, always thought that was such a great truck. KC O'Connor and I have had some fun backcountry outings and was always impressed by his T100 with 4 Wheel Camper combo. The Tundra is great too, a bit quieter, effortless power and not too different sizewise than the current Tacomas anyway, but seemingly much roomier inside. I had a lot of great trips in mine, thing just ate up the miles and even with such a simple setup it worked great for 1-2 people.

And I see you have a '95 D1, ironically that's what I decided to keep as my daily driver and sell this truck. It was a 5 Speed with a 4.6 conversion. Was a fun rig to drive. Definitely my non rational side got the best of me. After a couple of years though I regretted it as the Disco was keeping me busy with leaks and little things. Plus for long trips it just beat me up.

Edit* I knew I had a pic of his T100 and my D1 somewhere

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That photo of you Kristian with K.C. is awesome.

Always wanted a modern version of my VW Westy, that thing was great for Sunday drives and that was about it.
They did though.

84c83b479df853f6c5097225e8a40a1f.jpg 91454871d236b8867d68e3933b099f07.jpg

If you ask me it's about not constraining yourself to the past but making what actually is work for you. There will never be a perfect vehicle so I don't see the value of wrapping yourself around the axle worrying about it. I enjoy the idle chat about it all, I'd plunk my money down on a diesel Hilux in a heartbeat. But if I sit around waiting for that to happen I'd miss out on life in the here and now.

Clutch

<---Pass
That photo of you Kristian with K.C. is awesome.

They did though.

View attachment 386719 View attachment 386720

Someone else brought up the Honda Element...that is NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR A VW WESTY!!! ;) :)

It is the whole forward control, being able to jump in the back and pop the top without having to go outside thing. There is something about a forward control vehicle...especially a VW, it is like the first car on a carnival roller coaster, quite a thrill wondering if some bolts are going to shear off and send you careening off the track. One of the few vehicles that you can have a "oh ********" moment while going slooooow.

If you ask me it's about not constraining yourself to the past but making what actually is work for you. There will never be a perfect vehicle so I don't see the value of wrapping yourself around the axle worrying about it. I enjoy the idle chat about it all, I'd plunk my money down on a diesel Hilux in a heartbeat. But if I sit around waiting for that to happen I'd miss out on life in the here and now.

That is the thing, I am quite content with what I already have...it is just getting old, bummed that I can't replace with the exact same thing, just new. The SR Tacoma is the closet thing, what was an option on my truck is now pretty much standard on the base model, other than a locking rear diff.

Think I (we?) use this forum as a version of Top Gear/Grand Tour, where we pick apart vehicles for the fun of it. ;) For another never ending example...the 1st gen Tundra, I like it...but no manny and the dash looks like it came out of a Ford Taurus....don't want to be looking at that thing for a couple hundred thousand miles.

Definitely have vehicle A.D.D....don't act on it though. If I was rich...would probably have a truck/van version of Jay Leno's garage.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Those Elements have a cult following, especially since they stopped production. I'd always wished they came with 4 real doors and 3 seats across the back. Very cool utilitarian vehicle. And the e-camper should've come as an option from the factory!

Clutch

<---Pass
Those Elements have a cult following, especially since they stopped production. I'd always wished they came with 4 real doors and 3 seats across the back. Very cool utilitarian vehicle. And the e-camper should've come as an option from the factory!

One of the Wife's colleagues has one, they gave me a ride into town with it one day when my truck was in the shop for a leaking fuel injector (go figure! :D) I dunno...seemed really cheaply built to me, that and sat rather low in it, felt like being on the bottom of a fish bowl.

The VW however you sat up high and had a commanding view of the road. Don't know what it is about aircooled VW's and their emotional attachment, was really sad to see it go...it was however the only vehicle where I actually doubled my money on the sale. Helped pay the move and buying the new to us house. Just have to keep on reminding myself that it wouldn't fair to well in Idaho. It was too cherry to really really use it anyhow.

If we kept it, wanted to toss a modern engine in it and convert the suspension to wishbone. Put that on the board of "oooh...one day..." builds...which will never happen.

http://www.red9design.co.uk/type2.htm

Bus%20Wishbone%20Rear.jpg

http://www.red9design.co.uk/type2.htm

IMAG0003%20small.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I believe they moved the gas tank lower, among other components to maximize interior space. They're pretty spacious and efficiently designed. Plasticy? Yep. Again, total utilitarian. I had a Fit, which had a similar layout with magic seats. Wonderful use of space.
_
Regarding the Westy--things living in your memory are often much better than you remember. I could guarantee you wouldn't be so fond of that Westy if you had one today. Especially if you're thinking a Toyota 2.7L may be underpowered. :D A friend of mine had a VW van and knew all the local mechanics by first name. So there's that, too. :sombrero:

DaveInDenver

A couple of our friends have Elements, they are popular with kayakers and cyclists. I can see why, too. Tons of interior space that is highly useable. You can store several bikes or boats inside and still carry the people that go along with them. You can carry gear and sleep inside. In a way they are small Sprinters (which are also very popular right now). I don't know if they feel any more cheap than any other run of the mill Japanese vehicle, Civics, Tacomas, etc. that we've owned.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
In the next 4 to 5 years I'll be moving from the JKU into a truck to pull a small 5th wheel. The whole diesel-gas thing is really fun to read, and watch how things are developing.
As much as I'm not a GM fan per se, I'm definitely pulling for them with the Colorado, and Canyon. That's a lot of American Jobs, and recycling of the American dollar into our own economy.
In this regard, I'm pretty happy that Toyota doesn't care about powertrain innovation.
I think these are pretty exciting times to be an automotive power train engineer, and for us as consumers of all the American brands. :beer:

One thing that does scare me is the costs of these vehicles. I sure hope that can stabilize, as technology costs are reduced and cross platform parts sharing becomes more common. Otherwise, I'll be driving a 1972 Yugo with a cardboard box taped to the top for a RTT. ;)

Clutch

<---Pass
_
Regarding the Westy--things living in your memory are often much better than you remember. I could guarantee you wouldn't be so fond of that Westy if you had one today. Especially if you're thinking a Toyota 2.7L may be underpowered. :D A friend of mine had a VW van and knew all the local mechanics by first name. So there's that, too. :sombrero:

Only sold it 2.5 years ago...it was a Sunday driver...sure as hell wouldn't want to commute in it...had a pretty hopped up motor in it, but it was maybe 80-90 horse.

Where-as my Tacoma with a Wildernest...you can daily it, and go a lot more places where the Westy couldn't or shall I say, I wouldn't take it. Hated to take it off pavement as it was too nice, didn't want to ruin it.

Sure I could recreate the Westy vibe with a 4X4 Sprinter or a Transit with a Quigley 4WD conversion, then we are talking $50K just for the vehicle...where-as you can get a base Taco with a AT Hatitat or Shell ATC, and pretty much accomplish the same thing, but way cheaper.

A couple of our friends have Elements, they are popular with kayakers and cyclists. I can see why, too. Tons of interior space that is highly useable. You can store several bikes or boats inside and still carry the people that go along with them. You can carry gear and sleep inside. In a way they are small Sprinters (which are also very popular right now). I don't know if they feel any more cheap than any other run of the mill Japanese vehicle, Civics, Tacomas, etc. that we've owned.

It felt on the lines of my aunt's Scion of cheapness. Just a couple steps below a Tacoma or an Accord. All plasticky...Element felt like it was cheaper plastic.

Can see the appeal of them...kinda like a Suby or a Ridgeline, don't think it will withstand years of wash board roads.

DaveInDenver

It felt on the lines of my aunt's Scion of cheapness. Just a couple steps below a Tacoma or an Accord. All plasticky...Element felt like it was cheaper plastic.

Can see the appeal of them...kinda like a Suby or a Ridgeline, don't think it will withstand years of wash board roads.
All I can say is one friend is not gentle with his, I'd guess it's about 10 or 12 years old now. Similar age to my Tacoma but with a lot more miles and it doesn't rattle any more than my truck. He obviously doesn't 4x4 it but it's seen plenty of less than well graded roads over the years. He mops the interior like you would a kitchen floor. Not quite a full on hose out like a Jeep but much more aggressive than I would be with a truck cab and not all that much less than I ever was with the WilderNest mounted.

Comparison in build quality to a Subaru is appropriate. Although here in Colorado a lot of people we know have those and I don't have much faith in Subarus mechanically. Headgaskets and transmissions seem to be periodic scheduled maintenance. The Element is probably going to run forever, Hondas are like the Toyota of cars.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
All I can say is one friend is not gentle with his, I'd guess it's about 10 or 12 years old now. Similar age to my Tacoma but with a lot more miles and it doesn't rattle any more than my truck. He obviously doesn't 4x4 it but it's seen plenty of less than well graded roads over the years. He mops the interior like you would a kitchen floor. Not quite a full on hose out like a Jeep but much more aggressive than I would be with a truck cab and not all that much less than I ever was with the WilderNest mounted.

Comparison in build quality to a Subaru is appropriate. Although here in Colorado a lot of people we know have those and I don't have much faith in Subarus mechanically. Headgaskets and transmissions seem to be periodic scheduled maintenance. The Element is probably going to run forever, Hondas are like the Toyota of cars.

Ours friend's Element just needed the whole front end rebuilt to the tune of $2200 they were saying...it has never seen dirt. They like enough to repair it and not trade it in on something....would say they are the typical car owners, view vehicles as appliances.

"Hondas are like the Toyota of cars"....that is fun-nay right there.

We used to have a Civic, the Element's interior felt a little below that...though I was only in it for an hour...so maybe I didn't look hard enough. Think it was one of those...ooooh, always wanted to see what these things were like, and then felt a little disappointed with it.

Like the time I thought I really wanted a Subaru...so I rented an OB for 2 weeks just make sure...mang, couldn't wait to get back in my Tacoma....think I even let out a "Ahhhh...that's better" when I climbed back in the ol' girl.

p nut

butter
... and I don't have much faith in Subarus mechanically. Headgaskets and transmissions seem to be periodic scheduled maintenance. ...

...Like the time I thought I really wanted a Subaru...so I rented an OB for 2 weeks just make sure...mang, couldn't wait to get back in my Tacoma....think I even let out a "Ahhhh...that's better" when I climbed back in the ol' girl.

Hey, hey, c'mon. My Sub and I are standing right here!

Clutch

<---Pass
But if I sit around waiting for that to happen I'd miss out on life in the here and now.

Oh definitely not sitting around...took a loooong lunch today.

Not a bad spot to brown bag it. :D

16722577_10155090025154630_8330262344753050601_o.jpg

16700596_10155090025279630_6809967974197905082_o.jpg

16729065_10155090025419630_1171161246874990958_n.jpg

In the next 4 to 5 years I'll be moving from the JKU into a truck to pull a small 5th wheel. The whole diesel-gas thing is really fun to read, and watch how things are developing.
As much as I'm not a GM fan per se, I'm definitely pulling for them with the Colorado, and Canyon. That's a lot of American Jobs, and recycling of the American dollar into our own economy.
In this regard, I'm pretty happy that Toyota doesn't care about powertrain innovation.
I think these are pretty exciting times to be an automotive power train engineer, and for us as consumers of all the American brands. :beer:

One thing that does scare me is the costs of these vehicles. I sure hope that can stabilize, as technology costs are reduced and cross platform parts sharing becomes more common. Otherwise, I'll be driving a 1972 Yugo with a cardboard box taped to the top for a RTT. ;)

The retirement rig...mang that is a whole other can of hand wringing.... ;) :D

All the tech is definitely cool....hard to swallow the prices though. I have become a cheap SOB over the years, coming from a person who used to spend it like no tomorrow....if I am this thrifty now, imagine I'll be much worse after I retire.

Dude! A Yugo!!?? My dad actually dragged one of those home for $500. it was wrecked...and did our best Nitro Circus arsejackery with it. Good Times!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger