Arkto Campers-Shakedown, Update

rehammer81

Been researching these types of campers like crazy and the G12 is top of my list. Going to look at one next week. Wondering if anyone has done a rooftop solar conversion? I'd prefer to not carry around a portable.
Not to take away from the Arkto, it's a great option, but the Boreas EOS-12 can have 500W of solar on the roof (plus a portable panel plug) and comes base with 540Ah of Battleborn lithium and Victron electronics connecting the two.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: EPO

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Great points Re. Full disclosure I have not seen either trailer in person and I bet you have. To me the difference of these two trailers is :

Boreas has interior wet bath and gray tank. It has a more robust suspension (three times the cost of Timbren). Victron are high quality.

Arkto is lighter and more interior space. The winterize canvas in pop up is top notch. Quality electronics.

If you need a more of an off road capable trailer with wet bath and can handle the extra weight with tow vehicle and have a budget of 15 -20 k more Boreas is the one.

If not Arkto is the one.

EPO

Been researching these types of campers like crazy and the G12 is top of my list. Going to look at one next week. Wondering if anyone has done a rooftop solar conversion? I'd prefer to not carry around a portable.
My G12 was one of the early 2023 models and didn't have a rooftop solar option. So our shakedown trip was in part to drive to Arkto's shop where they installed 400w solar. Works like a charm, clean install which is typical for Arkto. Plan to have it out next week.

Current Arkto's can have solar installed while being built.

No desire for a gray tank or indoor bathroom. The portable potty that they include is fine and we also use another option.

EPO

Great points Re. Full disclosure I have not seen either trailer in person and I bet you have. To me the difference of these two trailers is :

Boreas has interior wet bath and gray tank. It has a more robust suspension (three times the cost of Timbren). Victron are high quality.

Arkto is lighter and more interior space. The winterize canvas in pop up is top notch. Quality electronics.

If you need a more of an off road capable trailer with wet bath and can handle the extra weight with tow vehicle and have a budget of 15 -20 k more Boreas is the one.

If not Arkto is the one.
One other consideration is that the Arkto will fit in an 8' garage. That ultimately made the decision between these two. To be clear, I am a fan of Boreas.

400w solar on the Arkto is more than enough.

skyhogg

I really like the Boreas. I also really like the BRS pursuit and the Kimberly Karavan. Unfortunately there's a little circuit breaker in my brain that pops every time I seriously consider spending that much on a camper. Still have to get 2 kids through college ugh.

Started out looking at the OBI dweller and was seriously thinking of buying one as they are really cheap where I live. Then I read through the thread on this site and realized that there are 60 plus pages of hacks and fixes everyone has come up with to deal with what seems to be shoddy quality and poor engineering (no offense if you love them).

I think $50k ish is the max before that breaker pops. I have it narrowed down to the G12, the Sherpa, and the Mission Summit. The Off Grid Expedition and Vorsheer XOC were in the running as well. I really like the Sherpa and would buy it in a heartbeat but the real advantage to the G12 in my mind is being able to put that porta into its little spot for cold nights so as to not have to go outside. That and being able to sit inside and have a little space to move around when the weather turns. I can live without a grey tank but I'd really like to not have to lug around a portable solar panel.

I am confused about the inverter question. In one walkthrough video I seem to recall Aaron saying that the G12 doesnt come with an inverter but in another video he refers to the inverter on board. I could be wrong...

EPO

I really like the Boreas. I also really like the BRS pursuit and the Kimberly Karavan. Unfortunately there's a little circuit breaker in my brain that pops every time I seriously consider spending that much on a camper. Still have to get 2 kids through college ugh.

Started out looking at the OBI dweller and was seriously thinking of buying one as they are really cheap where I live. Then I read through the thread on this site and realized that there are 60 plus pages of hacks and fixes everyone has come up with to deal with what seems to be shoddy quality and poor engineering (no offense if you love them).

I think $50k ish is the max before that breaker pops. I have it narrowed down to the G12, the Sherpa, and the Mission Summit. The Off Grid Expedition and Vorsheer XOC were in the running as well. I really like the Sherpa and would buy it in a heartbeat but the real advantage to the G12 in my mind is being able to put that porta into its little spot for cold nights so as to not have to go outside. That and being able to sit inside and have a little space to move around when the weather turns. I can live without a grey tank but I'd really like to not have to lug around a portable solar panel.

I am confused about the inverter question. In one walkthrough video I seem to recall Aaron saying that the G12 doesnt come with an inverter but in another video he refers to the inverter on board. I could be wrong...
An inverter is an option now. I have one.

If you want/need a cold weather package, the G12 can have one as I do.

The G12 has rooftop solar if one opts for that. No need to deal with portable solar.

Suggest taking a close look at the kitchen in the MO Summit and compare it to the G12.

Sherpa is a teardrop if I'm not mistaken. Not a pleasant way to wait out the type of weather/rain that I had on my last trip a while back (and I have done it in a teardrop; was not fun). Was completely comfortable in the G12 for multiple days of intermittent and 3-4 hour rain.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Thoughts on BRS Pursuit: Three big negatives. It's $10,000 per linear foot of the box. That blows my circuit breaker just thinking about it. Not really sure if the US manufacturer has built very many of them. Tad heavy. Huge star gazzer window that will likely leak.

Kimberley Karavan is an awesome trailer.

skyhogg

An inverter is an option now. I have one.

If you want/need a cold weather package, the G12 can have one as I do.

The G12 has rooftop solar if one opts for that. No need to deal with portable solar.

Suggest taking a close look at the kitchen in the MO Summit and compare it to the G12.

Sherpa is a teardrop if I'm not mistaken. Not a pleasant way to wait out the type of weather/rain that I had on my last trip a while back (and I have done it in a teardrop; was not fun). Was completely comfortable in the G12 for multiple days of intermittent and 3-4 hour rain.
Glad to hear about the inverter and rooftop solar options now. I'll ask about that next week when I go look. I did look at the Summit kitchen. Are you talking about the stove being weak? That seems to be the prevailing opinion but it also is just barely more room than the Sherpa as a glorified teardrop that you can stand up in but not much else hence the G12 being top of my list for the exact reasons you listed.

Thanks

skyhogg

Thoughts on BRS Pursuit: Three big negatives. It's $10,000 per linear foot of the box. That blows my circuit breaker just thinking about it. Not really sure if the US manufacturer has built very many of them. Tad heavy. Huge star gazzer window that will likely leak.

Kimberley Karavan is an awesome trailer.
The place I'm looking at the G12 also happens to have what I think may be the only Karavan in stock in the US. My wife raised an eyebrow when I told her I'm going to look at it "just for the hell of it". Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Her wisdom has kept me out of trouble in the past. Perhaps I'll just look at the G12 and steer clear of the Kimberly...

rehammer81

That Karavan will go anywhere you dare if your vehicle is capable. It is just so low profile and compact when transformed into "travel mode". I personally love the room it gives with a north/south QB bed. I really like the swing out toilet/shower stall also. Great design using space and minimizing the negatives of a wet bath. As you have pointed out, the price to get it in my garage just tripped my circuit breaker.

The Arkto has a lot of organized storage. That is one thing I really like. My EOS-12 has ample storage but it is almost all bulk storage so I find myself still wanting to build a dresser drawer or countertop like setup. The Arkto winter canvas option is also a positive. The EOS-12 luckily keeps the amount of canvas a bit less but I would appreciate a thicker option for slightly better climate control. For us, an internal wet bath was the requirement that drove us to lean to the EOS-12. I also personally prefer the Cruisemaster suspension over Timbren but Timbren is a solid suspension option. Another difference that mattered to us between the Arkto and EOS-12 was the ability to sleep in the EOS-12 with the roof down.

EPO

That Karavan will go anywhere you dare if your vehicle is capable. It is just so low profile and compact when transformed into "travel mode". I personally love the room it gives with a north/south QB bed. I really like the swing out toilet/shower stall also. Great design using space and minimizing the negatives of a wet bath. As you have pointed out, the price to get it in my garage just tripped my circuit breaker.

The Arkto has a lot of organized storage. That is one thing I really like. My EOS-12 has ample storage but it is almost all bulk storage so I find myself still wanting to build a dresser drawer or countertop like setup. The Arkto winter canvas option is also a positive. The EOS-12 luckily keeps the amount of canvas a bit less but I would appreciate a thicker option for slightly better climate control. For us, an internal wet bath was the requirement that drove us to lean to the EOS-12. I also personally prefer the Cruisemaster suspension over Timbren but Timbren is a solid suspension option. Another difference that mattered to us between the Arkto and EOS-12 was the ability to sleep in the EOS-12 with the roof down.

Great options for sure. All have pluses and minuses. I would have probably bought a Karavan but I really don't care for the driver side door though for some/many, it doesn't matter to them.

I have slept in the G12 with the roof down.

EPO

Glad to hear about the inverter and rooftop solar options now. I'll ask about that next week when I go look. I did look at the Summit kitchen. Are you talking about the stove being weak? That seems to be the prevailing opinion but it also is just barely more room than the Sherpa as a glorified teardrop that you can stand up in but not much else hence the G12 being top of my list for the exact reasons you listed.

Thanks
The Summit's kitchen does not have a pantry. I much prefer the G12 and EOS kitchen.

Also, I didn't care for the Summit's door. Too hard for me to close.

BTW, I have dealt with both Arkto and Boreas personally and can only say great things about both companies and the people that run them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998