Arkto Campers-Shakedown, Update

PhatPanda

This is interesting and the first time I ran across the need for permits for foreigners for their equivalent of BLM land. 10/person/per day is expensive! I'm curious what the cost is in BC, and how this is actually enforced..

Do we charge in the USA for our CA friends to disperse camp on FS/BLM land? If so, IMO, both countries should stop this in the spirit of reciprocity.

Arkto

This is interesting and the first time I ran across the need for permits for foreigners for their equivalent of BLM land. 10/person/per day is expensive! I'm curious what the cost is in BC, and how this is actually enforced..
You can just buy an annual pass for like $35. Then camp on our crown land to your hearts content! This is province dependent. Alberta requires this permit. I think it's free in other provinces.

K9LTW

Really thankful for these threads for intro'ing my wife and I to Arkto. I did have a question for those of you that have one...or @Arkto actual! Is that entry door hanging down going to be a snag concern? Granted...you need to be paying attention, stay within limitations, etc., etc., but that was a huge turn-off for us with the MO Approach (among other things). The MO's is even lower...and terribly located right behind the wheel...but those super sharp, square, edges on the door aren't, exactly, going to just glance or slide off something with inadvertent contact. I may also be worrying about nothing!

If you pull the drawers out in the front cabinet...can you actually reach the fridge? I'm guessing there's probably not enough clearance in there to lift a lid up even if you can, but having interior access to the fridge would be pretty sweet. Not a deal breaker by any means, but a nice to have on those 40 degree driving rain storms on Mt. Marston because you're too stubborn to leave despite the weather warnings :p

Lastly...just because...is there room in the wheel wells for a skinny 35? Would the carrier on the back support one and/or a tire bag full of trash? Any incremental increase in clearance/angles is something I want to keep in mind particularly as we're looking towards a lonnnnnnnnnnng term purchase that will be used with various tow vehicles.

Really stoked on this build. As with a number of you, I'm also a huge fan of the EOS-12, but...oof...$30k additional hurts. Not saying it's not worth it as that 100% functionality with the top down is huge, but it's a chunk of change. The Arkto seems like a screaming deal with minimal compromise for two adults and two bed-hogging fur missiles.

Arkto

Really thankful for these threads for intro'ing my wife and I to Arkto. I did have a question for those of you that have one...or @Arkto actual! Is that entry door hanging down going to be a snag concern? Granted...you need to be paying attention, stay within limitations, etc., etc., but that was a huge turn-off for us with the MO Approach (among other things). The MO's is even lower...and terribly located right behind the wheel...but those super sharp, square, edges on the door aren't, exactly, going to just glance or slide off something with inadvertent contact. I may also be worrying about nothing!

If you pull the drawers out in the front cabinet...can you actually reach the fridge? I'm guessing there's probably not enough clearance in there to lift a lid up even if you can, but having interior access to the fridge would be pretty sweet. Not a deal breaker by any means, but a nice to have on those 40 degree driving rain storms on Mt. Marston because you're too stubborn to leave despite the weather warnings :p

Lastly...just because...is there room in the wheel wells for a skinny 35? Would the carrier on the back support one and/or a tire bag full of trash? Any incremental increase in clearance/angles is something I want to keep in mind particularly as we're looking towards a lonnnnnnnnnnng term purchase that will be used with various tow vehicles.

Really stoked on this build. As with a number of you, I'm also a huge fan of the EOS-12, but...oof...$30k additional hurts. Not saying it's not worth it as that 100% functionality with the top down is huge, but it's a chunk of change. The Arkto seems like a screaming deal with minimal compromise for two adults and two bed-hogging fur missiles.
Hey! Feel free to give us a call as well. Happy to have a chat. But, here goes on the answers:

Step/entry door: Well, compromises, right? There are always compromises when trying to design one of these compact style trailers. The height of the wall is pretty short. So, the only way to remove the step is with a smaller door. And I'd have to say, we'd be getting a significant higher rate of push back on a smaller door, than with the step. I can tell you, that we have a few customers that put this unit through the paces, and the step has not been an issue to date.

Fridge: Haha, well, that's been thought of, but we've not been able to think of a way to design it to have drawers, a counter top, AND be able to open all of that to access the fridge.

35": You might be able to. It's an extra inch on each side of the tire. Definitely have the space on the top side. And as long as it's still the same 285 wide tire, it will fit width wise as well.

Hope that helps!

K9LTW

Hey! Feel free to give us a call as well. Happy to have a chat. But, here goes on the answers:

Step/entry door: Well, compromises, right? There are always compromises when trying to design one of these compact style trailers. The height of the wall is pretty short. So, the only way to remove the step is with a smaller door. And I'd have to say, we'd be getting a significant higher rate of push back on a smaller door, than with the step. I can tell you, that we have a few customers that put this unit through the paces, and the step has not been an issue to date.

Fridge: Haha, well, that's been thought of, but we've not been able to think of a way to design it to have drawers, a counter top, AND be able to open all of that to access the fridge.

35": You might be able to. It's an extra inch on each side of the tire. Definitely have the space on the top side. And as long as it's still the same 285 wide tire, it will fit width wise as well.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the incredibly quick response! And don’t worry, I’ll be talking your ear off soon enough 🫣

I completely hear you on compromises…everything has them. Good to hear the door hasn’t proven an issue thus far! Even with the fridge…with the “compromise” being an insane amount of storage, I (even more so my wife) don’t mind it. Not having to live out of duffles or access external storage is a major, major selling point with this!!!! Well done!

That’s good news re: tires. Not having to deal with the arc of a solid axle certainly makes things easier so long as it’s not going to smash into the top of the wheel well.

Made the mistake of having my wife sit through the videos last evening. She could barely calm down before bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EPO

Will second the door comment. No issue on this end.

When we run into weather issues, we just bring enough food, etc. inside along with a small basin to clean up for the night. There is plenty of room.

skyhogg

After an exhaustive amount of research I decided to order the G12. I ordered directly from them in Edmonton and decided to drive up to pick it up in person. Just got home last night and here are my first impressions in my order of importance:

1) I arrived at the facility in Edmonton at 9:30am. Aaron welcomed me (felt I knew him from how much time I've spent on the phone and emails), and he proceeded to devote half of his business day to showing me every detail of the camper and how its made. I didn't get on the road until after 1pm. I'm sure he would have hung out longer and didn't seem in any rush to hurry me along. In the process, I was convinced at the exceptional build quality and attention to detail. These guys are really focusing on the customer which I cant overemphasize how important that is to me. The way the G12 is designed and built, and the focus on customer service is impressive

2) The drive with my Canyon diesel was a breeze. The camper (yes fully empty) has outstanding tow manners. No matter the speed there it was tracking perfectly with no sway, bounce, or fade. Its also really well designed for practicality. You can easily pull off into a rest area and with access to everything right there, you could make lunch, or even use the potty without messing with the camper. People have said thats its a shame that you cant sleep in it with the roof down. My question is why? Who cares? It takes about 43 seconds to pop the roof up and bam...you're in bed. Total nothing burger there.

3) Its beautiful. As I said, build quality and materials are remarkable. My wife, who has been a little interested through my extensive reading and video watching, was downright giddy after I gave her the tour. The difference between this and any mass produced product is just night and day.

So thats it for now. My only disappointment is that I had to put it away today. I'm not much of a cold weather camper so I'm waiting for Feb to get down to the desert...Will follow up then.

Cheers and thanks Aaron!

Arkto

After an exhaustive amount of research I decided to order the G12. I ordered directly from them in Edmonton and decided to drive up to pick it up in person. Just got home last night and here are my first impressions in my order of importance:

1) I arrived at the facility in Edmonton at 9:30am. Aaron welcomed me (felt I knew him from how much time I've spent on the phone and emails), and he proceeded to devote half of his business day to showing me every detail of the camper and how its made. I didn't get on the road until after 1pm. I'm sure he would have hung out longer and didn't seem in any rush to hurry me along. In the process, I was convinced at the exceptional build quality and attention to detail. These guys are really focusing on the customer which I cant overemphasize how important that is to me. The way the G12 is designed and built, and the focus on customer service is impressive

2) The drive with my Canyon diesel was a breeze. The camper (yes fully empty) has outstanding tow manners. No matter the speed there it was tracking perfectly with no sway, bounce, or fade. Its also really well designed for practicality. You can easily pull off into a rest area and with access to everything right there, you could make lunch, or even use the potty without messing with the camper. People have said thats its a shame that you cant sleep in it with the roof down. My question is why? Who cares? It takes about 43 seconds to pop the roof up and bam...you're in bed. Total nothing burger there.

3) Its beautiful. As I said, build quality and materials are remarkable. My wife, who has been a little interested through my extensive reading and video watching, was downright giddy after I gave her the tour. The difference between this and any mass produced product is just night and day.

So thats it for now. My only disappointment is that I had to put it away today. I'm not much of a cold weather camper so I'm waiting for Feb to get down to the desert...Will follow up then.

Cheers and thanks Aaron!
Thanks man. Really appreciate the positive comments! Was great chatting with you, and handing off the trailer. Always exciting to be a part of that experience for people. Talk soon!

EPO

Cheers and thanks Aaron!
Great to hear! And your experience is what I'd expect from Aaron and Arkto as we have had the same.

Finbox

Anybody own a Arkto in Florida? I would like to take a look at one, I’ll pay you for your time.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I know it's hard to buy a trailer with out seeing it in person. As obsessed as I am I did. Maybe you could contact A-Aron for a video tour. Next best thing. He could enter in and out to give you a feel for door height.

skyhogg

Update: Got the G12 out this spring in Moab and love it. Made a little mode you guys might like. Posted it on another thread, here's the link:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior