Arkto Campers-Shakedown, Update

EPO

After some family related delays, we finally took the Arkto Campers G12 on it's shakedown trip that was actually 2500 miles from Colorado into Wyoming, Montana and a bit of Canada and took the time to visit Arkto and crew in Edmonton while they did a 400w solar installation for us. When we bought the camper, solar was not available, we wanted it and I preferred permanent installation as opposed to portable and said, yeah, 2500 miles sounds like a good shakedown test.

I really have nothing at all to say except for what a wonderful camper it is. Build quality is fantastic, easy to set up and take down, the amount of storage is unparalleled in the hybrid class, excellent kitchen, shower, Truma Combi, tows like a dream and Aaron (principle), his business partner and everyone we met at the shop were great. Got a tour of the shop, saw what they were building, etc. We were even out the door the following day earlier than when they said the camper would be completed. Aaron personally answered several questions that I had regarding components and functionality and even "why was such and such done this way"?

We tried the camper out in various locations and conditions. Examples, Bighorn National Forest (won't let me post a pic, file to big apparently but wow, what a beautiful place), in a free camping spot in Montana in the middle of nowhere, a campground in a small town in Canada, and a truck stop in Wyoming with the top down. Rain, hail, smoke from fires, sun, dirt roads, pavement, flats, steep hills, everything.

We added on two lithium batteries, BMPRO, winter package including the insulated canvas and heated water lines and tank, toilet, corner weight bearing stabilizer (came in handy in rainy conditions/wet ground) and 270 awning.

Never hooked the camper up to power and water, all self sufficient which is what we were looking for.

All I can tell you is that if you are interested in this type of camper, I highly highly recommend it. There is a reason that Arkto won "Best All Around" from Outside Magazine for 2023.

Well done Arkto. Great camper and great people combined to make great experiences.

Last edited:

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Very impressive EPO! I am glad your trip went so well. It is so nice when you travel that far and your wheel and brake hub doesn't explode and fly off the trailer at 65 mph ?

Arkto is very impressive!

EPO

Thanks Obsessed. I can't even imagine what that was like with the wheel coming off. Hope I never experience something like that.

EPO

One of the many reasons that Arkto appealed to me was to be able to sleep with the top down. Have to stoop over a bit to get around but I/we don't live in it except for bad weather or sleep. Some of the advantages to a hybrid camper is the potential to garage it (we do) and to sleep with the top down if needed or desired. Here is an interior video:

Last edited:

DFNDER

One of the many reasons that Arkto appealed to me was to be able to sleep with the top down. Have to stoop over a bit to get around but I/we don't live in it except for bad weather or sleep. Some of the advantages to a hybrid camper is the potential to garage it (we do) and to sleep with the top down if needed or desired. Here is an interior video:

Agree. That’s one of the things I love about our EOS as well. It’s perfectly livable with the top lowered. We camped at a really noisy Hipcamp one night and lowering the top was the only way to sleep. I can even sit and work at the table no problem and the John is even usable, though using the shower would be awkward. That’s a really important design consideration for any hybrid.

PeteEinMT

Observer
I assume sleeping with the top down is on the spare bed not the main bed? Are you able to utilize the table with the top down?

PhatPanda

The ability to not sleep in the main bed with the top down makes it unusable for us, it just doesn't look like there would be enough room.

EPO

The ability to not sleep in the main bed with the top down makes it unusable for us, it just doesn't look like there would be enough room.
It would be tight and most probably wouldn't do it. The only time to take the top down is perhaps severe weather (rare really, not just some rain) or when one wanted to experiment as I was doing.

EPO

Copy and paste of a response on another thread (Financing a Canadian trailer):

Pretty funny...I just came on to provide an update on last week's adventure high in the Rockies. This photo was taken at a dispersed campsite on top of one of the passes.

Drifter...yes, the forest service road I was on here was pretty rutted and washed out due to the rain. I tow with a Ford Ranger and the Arkto with it is a champ. I even commented to the person that was with me that the Ranger feels the bumps and I hardly feel anything from the Arkto. Easily was going through 10-12" or so potholes along with the wash out on the forest service road. 65 mph coming home and took it on a 2500 mile trip in June. The limiting factor to where the Arkto will go is the Ranger driver...me. I won't take it up steps in Utah for example because I don't want the truck or camper damaged.

Functionality...no issues at all. Rained like crazy for a couple of days last week, no leaks. Stove, inverter, heater (getting a little chilly at night at 10,000 ft. elevation, ran heater a little bit), water heater, shower, etc. all worked fine.

The Arkto is a great camper and I could not be more pleased with it.

Edit: Pic is a little blurry but couldn't upload a higher res pic.

Attachments

• IMG_9741.jpg
    IMG_9741.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 57

ruadhrigh

Great looking camper EPO! Can't wait to pick up mine.

Couple questions for you:
- When you plug in the trailer are you using the 7 pin harness?
- Does your Ranger have a fluctuating voltage on that 7 pin harness? My '22 F350 has a variable output (0-14v), I charge my current trailer through a DC/DC converter without issue but not sure if it'll be an issue on the Arkto
- What is the tongue height on your trailer? Do you use a drop hitch? My truck is kinda tall so trying to find out how much drop I'll need to hook up

EPO

-Yes, I use the 7 pin.
-The brake controller is an aftermarket Redarc sold by Ford since the current Ranger's don't have it factory installed. I don't believe the 7 pin is fluctuating.
-Arkto lists the tongue weight at 397 lbs. and I suspect mine is around that. No issues towing except for the expected loss of gas mileage. I believe the drop is about 2" or so.

skyhogg

Been researching these types of campers like crazy and the G12 is top of my list. Going to look at one next week. Wondering if anyone has done a rooftop solar conversion? I'd prefer to not carry around a portable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan