Arkto Campers-Shakedown, Update

skyhogg

Looks photo-shopped :ROFLMAO:.

But I agree. Nearly 100 nights in my trailer and the biggest issue was the battery bank, which I replaced with Lithium for $2k. There are a lot of ways to spend $60k, $85k, $150k on a trailer out there, but having more of something than I need or use doesn't warrant the cost to me. I like that the Dweller sleeps north-south on a king-sized very comfortable bed, has an indoor bathroom and shower, can be slept with the top down, and has a great support network of folks who have real-world experience using them and improving them. Any trailer will require modifications, just like the tow vehicles do. Also, OBI has started incorporating the feedback of the users into their design; new Dwellers will continue to be improved.
I havent completely ruled out the Dweller 13. I really like the slide out bed and the bathroom

Glad I didn't offend you!:). I was really excited about the dweller then I read through the thread on this site. What kept coming to mind was the myriad hacks and conversions that folks have come up with to fix some particular issue that has come up. I'm blown away by the towing characteristics that most everyone complains about. How can you engineer a camper that needs to be converted in order to not kill you at highway speeds? That said its obvious that dedicated owners have managed to work through whatever if any, issues have come up. Just not sure how dedicated I may be.

Yes they look very cool but I'm just a bit worried about what I've read from others. That's why I started looking at the others I've mentioned. I've owned many campers all of them mass produced pieces of crap. I dont plan any hardcore off roading. Just want a decent rig for all of the boondocking we enjoy. I definitely want the articulating hitch.
The D13 tows fine. The D15 just needs more tongue weight. It's honestly a problem blown way up by people who haven't towed much. I think the D15 is too much trailer for a mid size and the D13 is pushing it. If you're not planning on doing any decent off-roading, a ball hitch will be just fine. You won't need an Aussie style coupler. The Dwellers are tanks of a trailer. They have quirks (like all campers do), but I've had shockingly few problems with mine.

The D13 tows fine. The D15 just needs more tongue weight. It's honestly a problem blown way up by people who haven't towed much. I think the D15 is too much trailer for a mid size and the D13 is pushing it. If you're not planning on doing any decent off-roading, a ball hitch will be just fine. You won't need an Aussie style coupler. The Dwellers are tanks of a trailer. They have quirks (like all campers do), but I've had shockingly few problems with mine.
I think his canyon would tow the D13 without any issue. D15 would be pushing it. My Colorado diesel tows better than quite a few half tons I’ve driven or owned, as long as you don’t mind not going over 70 on the freeway or 65 up a pass.

rehammer81

Based on the price threshold you have, I wouldn't be so scared off of the Dweller 13 as you seem to be. You should definitely at a minimum go look at one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EPO

I'm planning to look at a G12 in Denver next week. They have two 23 models and a 24 listed. I dont need the full winter option as I really am more of a fair weather camper. I also dont mind the wood interior of the one listed at a lower price. I do want to be able to set up the lower benches for an extra person as they mention can be done.

My main thing is to be able to tow it up to say, Buffalo pass above Steamboat. My current rig, although only 4700lbs maxed out just sways and puckers all the way up despite a nice ground clearance. Just too dam tall. Many of these rigs look promising. Just need to satisfy the needs/wants to value ratio. Right now (maybe ever) there just isn't a way to justify the expense on anything over the $50k range.

I'm towing with a diesel Canyon so no issues there...
I've towed my G12 about 3000 miles including over Rabbit Ears pass with a Ford Ranger. Plenty of forest service roads including one that was particularly nasty. No issues whatsoever. Of course, mpg goes down.

Based on the price threshold you have, I wouldn't be so scared off of the Dweller 13 as you seem to be. You should definitely at a minimum go look at one.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Yeah if you can pick one up for $25k even if you have to drop 10 into it you’re still ahead. Or that 42k like new approach… honestly I was in the same boat regarding price. Have to make some compromises if you’re not going to pay top dollar

skyhogg

Thanks guys. I'm definitely considering options. Not worried about towing with the baby DuraMax. It does as well or better than my old 2nd gen Dodge Ram 2500. Just wanted to downsize a bit while keeping a sane price tag. The D13 is a full 1k lbs heavier than the G12 and I didn't want to mess around with shock upgrades. But you guys are right that it at least deserves a look. If I can get it at the right price, who knows...

I am going to inquire after that new/used Approach and there's an older Karavan listed that has piqued my curiosity as well.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

True, that is still a good deal at 62k

On the Approach, we were considering the one for sale by the previous owner but ya, it has the super awkward high canvas that they shortened on later models.

We pick up our 2022 EOS end of October!

Congrats such a solid built. Artic Tern windows and doors. Top of the line

I think his canyon would tow the D13 without any issue. D15 would be pushing it. My Colorado diesel tows better than quite a few half tons I’ve driven or owned, as long as you don’t mind not going over 70 on the freeway or 65 up a pass.
Lol I'm in Texas. 70 on the highway is about as slow as one can safely go. Towing, or not towing.

I'm planning to look at a G12 in Denver next week. They have two 23 models and a 24 listed. I dont need the full winter option as I really am more of a fair weather camper. I also dont mind the wood interior of the one listed at a lower price. I do want to be able to set up the lower benches for an extra person as they mention can be done.

My main thing is to be able to tow it up to say, Buffalo pass above Steamboat. My current rig, although only 4700lbs maxed out just sways and puckers all the way up despite a nice ground clearance. Just too dam tall. Many of these rigs look promising. Just need to satisfy the needs/wants to value ratio. Right now (maybe ever) there just isn't a way to justify the expense on anything over the $50k range.

I'm towing with a diesel Canyon so no issues there...

I belive your canyon has a 7,700 pound towing capacity. If this is correct the g12 loaded is maybe 4,200 pounds. If you watch your tow vehicle cargo weight you are fine with your canyon.

I'd encourage you to balance this perspective and see the good they have. Have you ever owned any trailer before? Do you actually plan to take your trailer off of maintained roads, into the remote back country where satellite communication is your only link to civilization? Because if so, that requires an Australian style hitch, or a brand new coupler about to be released in the states. Dwellers are not perfect (you did not offend me), but they're far better than your statement implies. This isn't speculation. This is 800 miles of Wyoming Backcountry with zero trailer equipment failures.

384542369_2054999884844548_87453759293473302_n.jpg

All the trailers that skyhogg is considering have articulating hitches.

ruadhrigh

Both my border crossings were surprisingly easy.

I came up through Montana and crossed at Carway, AB. It was a very rural crossing and I got through quick. Border agent mostly asked about paperwork and firearms, didn't care to see the paperwork and barely noticed my dog.

I am sure there are some people that know a lot better than I do regarding the camping. My first night was at a spot that Aaron at Arkto recommended. It was a relatively short drive from Edmonton and the senery was amazing. From there I just used the Campendium app to find places to stay. Canada has free dispersed camping much like the US, I think it's called Crown Land.

My time in Canada was short so I didn't get to explore the CA rockies as much as I wanted but the mountains are endless and seems like there's a picturesque lake or peak around every corner.

ruadhrigh

Quick search netted this:

"Canadian citizens and some legal residents can camp on Crown land for free for up to 21 days. However, non-citizens will need to buy a permit. Luckily, the permit isn’t too expensive. For example, in Ontario, a non-resident camping permit will run you about $10 per person per day."

Don't tell the Canadians but I did not buy the permit 😵

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior