Arkto Campers-Shakedown, Update

PhatPanda

Dwellers are super heavy, otherwise if you are handy, worth the cost in my mind. The EOS and Arkto are listed at 3750 and 3600 dry, basically identical.

Sleeping with the roof down was a huge factor in deciding on a used EOS-12 we found. The Arkto for the base price is actually quite stripped down, once you add lithium (doesn't come standard), the inverter, solar, and winterization is becomes less of a good deal (there may be a slight 2024 price increase as well). The added convenience of true 4 season capability built in, wet bath, tricked out auto-leveling suspension, full Victron/Battleborn/Garmin and true percentage monitoring on tanks is icing on top.

I think Boreas should offer different layouts though on their EOS, as the lack of counter space and cabinet storage is the one weakness. The other weakness that is inherent to most trailers with outdoor kitchens are the built in propane stoves with the useless BTU rating of 7500 or less per burner, which is great for inside, but almost useless if there is any wind outside. I think it's tied to RV manufacturing safety rules for the US and Canada. The trailers that get it right use the Partner or Camp Chef stoves that output 10-20 BTU per burner.

There are a few Karavans used in the classifieds here, that is the ultimate use of space!

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I was surprised that the Boreas is only 150 pounds heavier considering the extra weight of cruise master suspension and Gray tank. The gvw rating is considerably higher. Tounge weight is a bit more to. Have you weighed your fully loaded.

If you add all options on G12 it's 62k ish US $.

That's near 20k less. Just saying. Don't get me wrong I am very impressed with Boreas.

I am suspect of the Approach. New to market. Took them forever. To much canvas. Especially the first builds.

PhatPanda

True, that is still a good deal at 62k

On the Approach, we were considering the one for sale by the previous owner but ya, it has the super awkward high canvas that they shortened on later models.

We pick up our 2022 EOS end of October!

Reactions: EPO

skyhogg

I am going to call it G12 man. Are you going to buy direct or dealer in Denver?
I'm planning to look at a G12 in Denver next week. They have two 23 models and a 24 listed. I dont need the full winter option as I really am more of a fair weather camper. I also dont mind the wood interior of the one listed at a lower price. I do want to be able to set up the lower benches for an extra person as they mention can be done.

My main thing is to be able to tow it up to say, Buffalo pass above Steamboat. My current rig, although only 4700lbs maxed out just sways and puckers all the way up despite a nice ground clearance. Just too dam tall. Many of these rigs look promising. Just need to satisfy the needs/wants to value ratio. Right now (maybe ever) there just isn't a way to justify the expense on anything over the $50k range.

I'm towing with a diesel Canyon so no issues there...

I really like the Boreas. I also really like the BRS pursuit and the Kimberly Karavan. Unfortunately there's a little circuit breaker in my brain that pops every time I seriously consider spending that much on a camper. Still have to get 2 kids through college ugh.

Started out looking at the OBI dweller and was seriously thinking of buying one as they are really cheap where I live. Then I read through the thread on this site and realized that there are 60 plus pages of hacks and fixes everyone has come up with to deal with what seems to be shoddy quality and poor engineering (no offense if you love them).

I think $50k ish is the max before that breaker pops. I have it narrowed down to the G12, the Sherpa, and the Mission Summit. The Off Grid Expedition and Vorsheer XOC were in the running as well. I really like the Sherpa and would buy it in a heartbeat but the real advantage to the G12 in my mind is being able to put that porta into its little spot for cold nights so as to not have to go outside. That and being able to sit inside and have a little space to move around when the weather turns. I can live without a grey tank but I'd really like to not have to lug around a portable solar panel.

I am confused about the inverter question. In one walkthrough video I seem to recall Aaron saying that the G12 doesnt come with an inverter but in another video he refers to the inverter on board. I could be wrong...
Regarding the G12- $50k and you still gotta shower outside? And can't use the bigger bed with the top down? Am I understanding correctly?

I really like the Boreas. I also really like the BRS pursuit and the Kimberly Karavan. Unfortunately there's a little circuit breaker in my brain that pops every time I seriously consider spending that much on a camper. Still have to get 2 kids through college ugh.

Started out looking at the OBI dweller and was seriously thinking of buying one as they are really cheap where I live. Then I read through the thread on this site and realized that there are 60 plus pages of hacks and fixes everyone has come up with to deal with what seems to be shoddy quality and poor engineering (no offense if you love them).

I think $50k ish is the max before that breaker pops. I have it narrowed down to the G12, the Sherpa, and the Mission Summit. The Off Grid Expedition and Vorsheer XOC were in the running as well. I really like the Sherpa and would buy it in a heartbeat but the real advantage to the G12 in my mind is being able to put that porta into its little spot for cold nights so as to not have to go outside. That and being able to sit inside and have a little space to move around when the weather turns. I can live without a grey tank but I'd really like to not have to lug around a portable solar panel.

I am confused about the inverter question. In one walkthrough video I seem to recall Aaron saying that the G12 doesnt come with an inverter but in another video he refers to the inverter on board. I could be wrong...
Sherpa definitely looks like an apples to oranges comparison. So...

Mission Summit is another square drop with a pop top? not exactly apples to apples there, either.

skyhogg

Regarding the G12- $50k and you still gotta shower outside? And can't use the bigger bed with the top down? Am I understanding correctly?
Correct. Only outside shower although a nighttime pee inside works. Now so concerned about sleeping with top down as its really easy to pop up. I guess I should say I was looking at a used Mission approach as well but I have to say I think I still prefer the G12

skyhogg

Mission Summit is another square drop with a pop top? not exactly apples to apples there, either.
Right! Big difference in being able to hang out in a G12 vs a Sherpa or Summit. The apple to apple comparison is really the Dweller (big concerns about quality), and the EOS, Approach, Karavan and Pursuit ( circuit breaker pop).

I'd encourage you to balance this perspective and see the good they have. Have you ever owned any trailer before? Do you actually plan to take your trailer off of maintained roads, into the remote back country where satellite communication is your only link to civilization? Because if so, that requires an Australian style hitch, or a brand new coupler about to be released in the states. Dwellers are not perfect (you did not offend me), but they're far better than your statement implies. This isn't speculation. This is 800 miles of Wyoming Backcountry with zero trailer equipment failures.

384542369_2054999884844548_87453759293473302_n.jpg

Dwellers are super heavy, otherwise if you are handy, worth the cost in my mind. The EOS and Arkto are listed at 3750 and 3600 dry, basically identical.

Sleeping with the roof down was a huge factor in deciding on a used EOS-12 we found. The Arkto for the base price is actually quite stripped down, once you add lithium (doesn't come standard), the inverter, solar, and winterization is becomes less of a good deal (there may be a slight 2024 price increase as well). The added convenience of true 4 season capability built in, wet bath, tricked out auto-leveling suspension, full Victron/Battleborn/Garmin and true percentage monitoring on tanks is icing on top.

I think Boreas should offer different layouts though on their EOS, as the lack of counter space and cabinet storage is the one weakness. The other weakness that is inherent to most trailers with outdoor kitchens are the built in propane stoves with the useless BTU rating of 7500 or less per burner, which is great for inside, but almost useless if there is any wind outside. I think it's tied to RV manufacturing safety rules for the US and Canada. The trailers that get it right use the Partner or Camp Chef stoves that output 10-20 BTU per burner.

There are a few Karavans used in the classifieds here, that is the ultimate use of space!
Yeah. They are heavy because they are well built. Something to keep in mind for travels far from tourist areas.

I'm planning to look at a G12 in Denver next week. They have two 23 models and a 24 listed. I dont need the full winter option as I really am more of a fair weather camper. I also dont mind the wood interior of the one listed at a lower price. I do want to be able to set up the lower benches for an extra person as they mention can be done.

My main thing is to be able to tow it up to say, Buffalo pass above Steamboat. My current rig, although only 4700lbs maxed out just sways and puckers all the way up despite a nice ground clearance. Just too dam tall. Many of these rigs look promising. Just need to satisfy the needs/wants to value ratio. Right now (maybe ever) there just isn't a way to justify the expense on anything over the $50k range.

I'm towing with a diesel Canyon so no issues there...
If you're towing with a Midsize, then I'm assuming you won't be towing off-road a whole lot?

gendlert

I'd encourage you to balance this perspective and see the good they have. Have you ever owned any trailer before? Do you actually plan to take your trailer off of maintained roads, into the remote back country where satellite communication is your only link to civilization? Because if so, that requires an Australian style hitch, or a brand new coupler about to be released in the states. Dwellers are not perfect (you did not offend me), but they're far better than your statement implies. This isn't speculation. This is 800 miles of Wyoming Backcountry with zero trailer equipment failures.
Looks photo-shopped :ROFLMAO:.

But I agree. Nearly 100 nights in my trailer and the biggest issue was the battery bank, which I replaced with Lithium for $2k. There are a lot of ways to spend $60k, $85k, $150k on a trailer out there, but having more of something than I need or use doesn't warrant the cost to me. I like that the Dweller sleeps north-south on a king-sized very comfortable bed, has an indoor bathroom and shower, can be slept with the top down, and has a great support network of folks who have real-world experience using them and improving them. Any trailer will require modifications, just like the tow vehicles do. Also, OBI has started incorporating the feedback of the users into their design; new Dwellers will continue to be improved.

skyhogg

384542369_2054999884844548_87453759293473302_n.jpg
Glad I didn't offend you!:). I was really excited about the dweller then I read through the thread on this site. What kept coming to mind was the myriad hacks and conversions that folks have come up with to fix some particular issue that has come up. I'm blown away by the towing characteristics that most everyone complains about. How can you engineer a camper that needs to be converted in order to not kill you at highway speeds? That said its obvious that dedicated owners have managed to work through whatever if any, issues have come up. Just not sure how dedicated I may be.

Yes they look very cool but I'm just a bit worried about what I've read from others. That's why I started looking at the others I've mentioned. I've owned many campers all of them mass produced pieces of crap. I dont plan any hardcore off roading. Just want a decent rig for all of the boondocking we enjoy. I definitely want the articulating hitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior