10L "Jerry can", 11L Dometic "Go Hydration" or Rotopax for water?

What water can or jug for car camping?

• Rotopax 2-Gallon versions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dometic 11 Liter

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • 2.5 Gallon / 10 Liter Jerry Can

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Other?

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sid Post

Observer
I have been looking for the Scepter 10L/2.5G "Jerry Can" water jugs but, they seem to be hard to find and expensive unless I missed something in my searches. 2 of these are ~$80 plus ~$30 shipping!

The Dometic Go Hydration 11L water jugs are ~$70 delivered but, I wonder about the durability with them and the strap handles. Size-wise, they are essentially the same as the 10L Jerry Cans.

Rotapax has its place but, with the 2-gallon models, the spout stored inside seems like a good way to foul my drinking water! I do have one of the 1-Gallon modes which is pretty handy for use in my car and along the road to make some hot tea or heat some Soba Noodles!

I need water for car camping in dry locations. I have tried the soft-sided carriers and, while they work, I find them to be a real PITA at my campsite. I need enough water for a minimum of 4-days, but I frequently spend a week or more away from water so, I need adequate volume to support that and any unplanned extensions.

For anyone that is suggesting the 5-Gallon/20L Jerry cans, I can get them for a reasonable price but, the problem is their size car camping and the extra weight lugging them around (~40lbs vs ~20lbs). Tipping a full one into a ~1L drink bottle or soup pot is awkward as well and often messy with spilled or splashed water!

1 gallon water jugs and 2L soda bottle are just not worth the effort for the modest capacity. So, what are the better options these days that are not super expensive? Any web links or store recommendations would be appreciated. I will most likely be at the Expedition Portal show again in Colorado around Labor Day if there are some good options there. I did pick up a HydraPak "expedition water bag" but, it just doesn't work that well for me car camping; if I was an area where ground water was an option backpacking, I could see it working much better than in my car camping situation.

TIA,
Sid

Dometic all the way! I have two of the Go jugs and they are PERFECT. The have two openings- one Nalgene bottle sized and the other big enough to actually get your arm in there to clean it out. Can't do that even with the larger Scepter ones!

Yes, they are pricey. The construction is solid, however, and the shape is perfectly rectangular to fit better in an overcrowded rig. In fact, I read somewhere that two stacked on top of each other is the same size as one regular Jerry can! Also, Dometic makes a powered faucet that snaps directly into the jug if you want that glamping experience. I might have one of those too...

samsari

I have been using 5 gallon Scepter water jugs because of their durability. They don't keep the water cold but they do the trick on an adventure. I use a 5 gallon water jug water pump for 15 bucks on amazon and it fits perfect on to the jugs nozzle. the water pump is rechargeable and no need for fancy electric pump setups.

I'm not sure if I copied the link right but here it is:

mazon.com/Drinking-Charging-Automatic-Dispenser-Universal/dp/B07KW4TPNG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=2V4IAPVSHGMO7&keywords=5%2Bgallon%2Bwater%2Bdispenser&qid=1676604305&sprefix=5%2Bgallon%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-2-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVDVUSVVFNDNCNEEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1ODcyODgzMkRUSFg5UUhJMjQ4JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5NjI0ODNWOVJGQzkzTldGMU4md2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

Sid Post

Observer
www.amazon.com/Drinking-Charging-Automatic-Dispenser-Universal/dp/B07KW4TPNG?th=1

This will take you to the right web page. Normally, the stuff after that is information like referral links for payments to the person publishing the link or, formatting information for different devices.

Pumps like that work well on with a standard 5-gallon, or similar, water jug. Being clear though, the jugs themselves develop algae really fast for me outside of an office or home environment.

Something similar for the Dometic 11L jugs should work well for me.

Trail Talk

We use Scepter’s 10 and 20L water containers for winter dry camping, keep the smaller one on the counter and refill from the larger ones as needed. Now using this marine pump dispenser to avoid the tip n’ pour required with Scepter’s own spout.

C3BFBB39-CDE6-44D0-8197-CDCA94270DF6.jpeg

Last edited:

pluton

Adventurer
I've had the Scepter 10L and 20L water cans...always in 'United Nations blue' for water...for ≈20 years. I originally selected them for their ruggedness. If I was to roll my vehicle into a ditch in a waterless location, I want the water cans to survive. The new (post 2019) screw lids with O-rings are much more leakproof than the old ones.

helenandtoby

Consider MSR Dromedary 10L bladders.
Their big advantage is that they fit in odd shaped spaces, like the back seat floor. I can easily store 20 gallons of water on the right side floor.
They are expensive, but very tough.

Ragman

We are currently using the 20L Scepter cans and find them very handy. Tipping can be a PITA for sure so we have slapped together this simple valve system. If you want to tip it and leave it tipped you will want to tighten around the fitting with a hose clamp, just pressed on it will dribble a little bit. We tend to avoid complexity when possible.

It consists of these two pieces-

IMG_4308.jpeg

jreddy

Definitely prefer Scepter. The shape packs well, and there are plenty of options for storing them on the exterior of vehicles or trailers. My MO is to fill a few Nalgenes first thing in the morning so I don't have to deal with tipping it all day. If you only have to do it once, it's not a big deal. I never bother to scrub them out. Just fill with water and a capful of bleach after each trip, then rinse and let it dry.

Sid Post

Observer
FWIW: I got an Amazon notice for the 10L Scepter water cans for ~$39. With free shipping, pretty hard to beat. The 20L versions are ~$50 as well.

Amazon 10L Sceptor water can

After looking at one at an REI, I preferred it to the Dometic option for its larger opening for cleaning and the built-in handle versus the straps on the Dometic version.

Other colors are available with a google search for ~$40 but, shipping bites pretty hard FWIW.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
1679239498697.png

29 gallon, larger ones available. Water can be plumbed in or transfer to small container like cans.

$89.00

Advantage, space saving, if it's not full fold it up, not used roll it up, empty cans take up space. Probably much lighter than 5- 6 gallon cans too.

Next, weight can be centered in vehicle or placed low as opposed to mounting cans outside.

Besides, if your baby goes, they have a water bed!

WANLIAN Large Capacity Collapsible Water Container, Portable Water Storage Bag, Drought Resistant, Fireproof, Agricultural Water Tank, Collapsible Durable Storage Emergency Water Tank. (110L/29 gal) (amazon.com)

Sid Post

Observer
Collapsable water carriers have their place but, I find them a bit irritating to use generally unless it is one of the better backpack styles or a simple 1L style for use at airports or for a small backpack or jacket pocket when out and about.

Cayenne-958-TDI

We use Scepter’s 10 and 20L water containers for winter dry camping, keep the smaller one on the counter and refill from the larger ones as needed. Now using this marine pump dispenser to avoid the tip n’ pour required with Scepter’s own spout
View attachment 765994

Really like your marine pump solution better than the electric ones
What brand and part number did y'all use?

Cayenne-958-TDI

Two Scepter 20L water containers mounted to our swing out have worked for us these past 138k principally off-road miles. For longer trips have brought along 2 four gallon jugs stored inside.
Note: you can order Scepter products directly from Scepter vs giving Amazon non-value added profit.
Otis & Guy WABDR.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior