10L "Jerry can", 11L Dometic "Go Hydration" or Rotopax for water?

What water can or jug for car camping?

• Rotopax 2-Gallon versions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dometic 11 Liter

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • 2.5 Gallon / 10 Liter Jerry Can

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Other?

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ragman

I use the Scepter 10 and 20 L jugs, they have held up very well for years. I have a shaker siphon with a valve from JAGMTE that I set up at camp.
That siphon looks like a good solution as, unlike my set up (earlier post) you don't need to set the can on the side. Same type of siphon used in my AEV Fuel Caddy, they work very well.

Roger M.

Adventurer
I've long used a couple of blue 20L Sceptre's, along with the beige 10L Sceptre as an "emergency" back-up ... but I'm very impressed with the entire Dometic Go water system infrastructure ... robust and easily cleanable container, internal USB power bank powered faucet, magnetic faucet holders, etc.
I still pack the Sceptre's with me for bulk water transport, but rather than take water directly from them, I pour down into the Dometic Go, and enjoy the near equal convenience of a normal household water tap for drinking, cleaning dishes, washing up and brushing teeth, etc.

Last edited:

Smitty619

I've long used a couple of blue 20L Sceptre's, along with the beige 10L Sceptre as an "emergency" back-up ... but I'm very impressed with the entire Dometic Go water system infrastructure ... robust and easily cleanable container, internal USB power bank powered faucet, magnetic faucet holders, etc.
I still pack the Sceptre's with me for bulk water transport, but rather than take water directly from them, I pour down into the Dometic Go, and enjoy the near equal convenience of a normal household water tap for drinking, cleaning dishes, washing up and brushing teeth, etc.
I bought one from the Black Friday sale and, while I’ve only used it on a few single overnight trips, it’s pretty awesome!
Yeah it’s expensive and you can put something together that would do all the same things, but it’s ridiculously handy and easy to use. I think the system is pretty well thought out.

Cayenne-958-TDI

Tangential post,
Question, how long can potable 'city' water remain useful for drinking? Yes boiling is an option but curious what the straight out of the can shelf life is.
Currently store ours in a couple of blue 20L Sceptre's. We are preping for much longer trips than we have been taking. - thanks,

Roger M.

Adventurer
Tangential post,
Question, how long can potable 'city' water remain useful for drinking? Yes boiling is an option but curious what the straight out of the can shelf life is.
Currently store ours in a couple of blue 20L Sceptre's. We are preping for much longer trips than we have been taking. - thanks,
If your city chlorinates the water, rule of thumb is that it‘s “good” for drinking for approximately six months in a completely sealed container. If you use a portable salt chlorinator, you can keep re-chlorinating your stored water and stretch it out indefinitely, although things like changing PH balance over time can affect the stored waters taste, ever though re-chlorinating it keeps it safe to drink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online