10L "Jerry can", 11L Dometic "Go Hydration" or Rotopax for water?

What water can or jug for car camping?

• Rotopax 2-Gallon versions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dometic 11 Liter

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • 2.5 Gallon / 10 Liter Jerry Can

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Other?

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Umbrarian

Observer
A good solution for many but, to me, it seems more travel trailer oriented. The web strap handles weren't my thing and, that powered faucet is really expensive. The 11L water containers are expensive too! My 10L Scepter MWC were almost half the cost of the Dometic 11L version.

I got mine on sale at Overland Expo East. Fits behind seat, no travel trailer required. Yes, the faucet is a creature comfort, not needed as you can use the pump or just pour it.

Sid Post

Observer
I scored a pair of Green 20L Scepter MWC for $43 each at Tractor Supply if anyone needs one or two. Mine shipped free to my house but, I'm a member of their loyalty program and buy a lot of fencing supplies there as well. Amazon has a good price right now on Sand colored 10L MWC but, prices there are a bit volatile at ~$38 today and up to $43 recently.

I'm considering using the threaded outlet in the cap to fit up a 45-degree PVC fitting to fit one of the USB powered 5-gallon office water jug pumps which are $10~$20 or so on Amazon. With $5~$10 of PVC fittings, I should be able to get an adaptor combination to fit the 'seating' ring of the USB water pump and I should be able to drop the water line down into the 10L/20L MWC. This should make it a lot easier to use.

sn_85

Observer
I have the Scepter MWC, Front Runner style water cans, and Dometic 11L. I primarily use the Dometic 11L now and have 2 of them. I got the cans and faucet thing on sale at OE-PNW. I prefer the Dometic for a few reasons. The spout is easy to open, no need for a spout wrench. The two openings are large, easy to use, and can pour without glugging or splashing. I tend to spill and splash a lot of water with the Scepter can as the flow rate can be inconsistent and the lid always gets in the way of whatever you're trying to pour it into. The CPC quick connect fitting is universal so you install an inline filter if you wish. The openings are large enough to empty out the entire jug and clean. It takes a bit of effort to empty out the MWC. I have not had any issues with the lifting straps. They work and are sturdy, no complaints on the straps and it doesn't effect how I use the can.

I also have a 10L Scepter MWC. IMO, the 10L cans are a lot easier to use and transport than the 20L in a vehicle. I'd prefer to carry 2-3 10L jugs than a large 20L can. If I had a bumper with a water carrier I'd carry the 20L but for ease of use and transportation I'd use a 10L jug all day long

RKRUGER

Adventurer- Toyota Nut
I use the Dometic 11L jug and supplied rechargeable faucet. REI w/ coupon and dividend. It has been a game changer in the back to the LC. IMG_1500.jpegIMG_1496.jpeg
Mounted to the RDRF, the faucet extends beyond the tailgate for dispensing and the jug is tied down with the same loop as the fridge. No rattles or issues. I recently routed the hose through the side pocket on the fridge. Tidies everything up nicely.

Cayenne-958-TDI

Two Scepter 20l for water attached to our swing arm spare tire carrier
For long trips also carry two 4 gallon containers with a water purification kit
21371011_519965158353221_8878696732726159125_n.jpg

dstefan

One of the cons to Scepters is the odd size thread on the small cap. One of the big pros is the flexible spout Scepter makes.

The spigot can be clicked on to run or very precisely controlled for water conservation.

The spout wasn’t long enough for me, so I put both ends on a longer hose. It just took a 1/2” SS barbed straight connector on the can end and pressing the spigot‘s barb into the new hose.

I put my Scepter on a riser and made a real vent hole sealed with a SS 1/4-20 bolt. The hole was tapped for the bolt. Scepter’s are plenty stout to tap a thread into. We have found the gravity feed to work far better with less water, weight and complexity vs an electric pump.
View attachment 770443
I set it up as a simple dispensing station that makes solo hand washing or other use simple — just tap the blue lever with arm or elbow.
View attachment 770444
The magnetic ball head is sturdy, but easily pulled off for use on the tail gate or inside the camper.

View attachment 770445
We often cook inside the camper (usually reheating or coffee, etc) but there’s plenty flow to fill a or cup or water bottle inside. We leave the whole system set up and ready to use with no setup with the spigot secured to a small steel plate magnetically mounted above the Scepter on the camper wall.

Its never come loose on even the roughest trails. No drips, no spills, no errors … so far!
We still really like this setup for outdoor use, but needed an additional ~2.5 gal capacity so bought a Dometic Go and the faucet on sale this summer. On our last trip, we used the Dometic faucet on about 5’ of 1/4” tubing for inside water on our cabinet with a collapsable sink. Worked well! Mostly we’re filling water bottles or the pot for cooking.

I also ran the line and the faucet outside and that worked pretty well too, but the Dometic faucet isn’t great for quick on/off with soapy hands.

So, right now we’re running both, as the faucet and tubing isnt much hassle and weight since we wanted the extra 2.5 gal capacity anyway. Still figuring out if we want to live with just the Dometic or not. I may try to put in fixed lines up to our counter/sink and a T to the outside as well.

Does anyone know a good source for the 1/4” potable water quick connects? Havent had much luck so far for that small of a size.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
We still really like this setup for outdoor use, but needed an additional ~2.5 gal capacity so bought a Dometic Go and the faucet on sale this summer. On our last trip, we used the Dometic faucet on about 5’ of 1/4” tubing for inside water on our cabinet with a collapsable sink. Worked well! Mostly we’re filling water bottles or the pot for cooking.

I also ran the line and the faucet outside and that worked pretty well too, but the Dometic faucet isn’t great for quick on/off with soapy hands.

So, right now we’re running both, as the faucet and tubing isnt much hassle and weight since we wanted the extra 2.5 gal capacity anyway. Still figuring out if we want to live with just the Dometic or not. I may try to put in fixed lines up to our counter/sink and a T to the outside as well.

Does anyone know a good source for the 1/4” potable water quick connects? Havent had much luck so far for that small of a size.
Search McMaster-Carr they have a virtually unlimited selection. You’ll likely have to choose food grade over potable.

dstefan

geojag

I use the Scepter 10 and 20 L jugs, they have held up very well for years. I have a shaker siphon with a valve from JAGMTE that I set up at camp.

Sid Post

Observer
The 2.5G/10L MWC have been working well for me. They are so much easier to handle than the 5G/20L versions too!

That being said, the larger MWC definitely have there uses for me, especially when going to a really "dry" area, not just a restricted water area (think an outhouse area being the only water source and far away from the camping area).

Now, I need to consider water filtration for State Parks with failed water sanitation systems!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior