80 Series vs. 4th Gen 4Runner. Thoughts?

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
You're right...it won't happen. Trouble is...look what it did for Hummer. Sales though the roof. Everybody wants one. Still want them. If they only could have made the FJ Cruiser with the same focus as Hummer did in the H3.

They put a rear locker in the back with a updated version of ATRAC,which is aggressive for Toyota I must say. I think the biggest draw back with the FJ is the looks and overall feel. If they put full leather, V8, better visibility it would be a killer. Now if they focused on their larger vehicles and made them a little more offroad capable out of the box (not saying the 100 is a pussmobile stock, just a few drawbacks, same with the H3, Jeeps, etc). We can ***** and moan about what is better. Some like hauling *** over long stretches of dirt in comfort, some like crawling, some like a mix of both (like I). The 100 is perfect for me, yea, sure, has drawbacks, what vehicle doesn't?

but it's toyota... your right, it won't happen... We must wonder to the other side of the pond to get the goodies from the factory.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Stock to Stock...Mod to Mod...a 4Runner can't touch an H3 and that's with the SAME driver in BOTH seats.

...When I go with FJC's and 4Runners I am asleep. Taco's are another thing!

HAHAHAHAHA and what pray-tell would be the great difference between a Taco and a 4Runner??? Equaly equiped (as in T-case gears and F/R lockers) the 4Runner will ALWAYS be the superior vehicle. they're built far better and in terms of dimensions and visibility they're the clear winner too. yes the H3T's bed is a neat idea but the break-over angle is terrible and the H3 wagon isn't much better.

Better yet, if I took all the money(since that's really what it comes down to inthe real world aplication) I'd spend on a dead platform like the H3 and put it into BUILDING an old Toy P/U or 4Runner (like what I have or like say DieselCruiser heads amazing Diesel P/U) then it's not even a competetion, the Hummer would never be able to compete dollar for dollar (I realize that's not the comparison but I can't help but go there in my mind) anyway...

NOW, if Toyota would focus on the 4Runner (instead of spreading the money around on all these different SUV derivitaves ala the big three - I know it's a sales thing, but since this is Expo-portal and we don't care about soccer-mom mobiles I won't go into those variables/considerations - but seriously, HOW MANY variations on the 4dr SUV do you need to make??? It's clearly not working for Ford or Shivvy...) and make a 4Runner in varrying W/B and 2/4-door to compete with the Wrangler (as in maybe the 70-series axles/lockers PLUS 'crawl control and lower T-case gears) then I'd be completely satisfied and Toyota would have NO competitors other then the G-wagen and other non-US model Cruisers.

that's just my opinion. Clearly it's going to be a LONG time before I find a truck that I can import into the US that will be able to pull me away from my 1st gen 4Runner... But then I am a bit of an old truck snob of sorts eh ;)

Cheers

Dave

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
HAHAHAHAHA and what pray-tell would be the great difference between a Taco and a 4Runner??? Equaly equiped (as in T-case gears and F/R lockers) the 4Runner will ALWAYS be the superior vehicle. they're built far better and in terms of dimensions and visibility they're the clear winner too. yes the H3T's bed is a neat idea but the break-over angle is terrible and the H3 wagon isn't much better.

Better yet, if I took all the money(since that's really what it comes down to inthe real world aplication) I'd spend on a dead platform like the H3 and put it into BUILDING an old Toy P/U or 4Runner (like what I have or like say DieselCruiser heads amazing Diesel P/U) then it's not even a competetion, the Hummer would never be able to compete dollar for dollar (I realize that's not the comparison but I can't help but go there in my mind) anyway...

NOW, if Toyota would focus on the 4Runner (instead of spreading the money around on all these different SUV derivitaves ala the big three - I know it's a sales thing, but since this is Expo-portal and we don't care about soccer-mom mobiles I won't go into those variables/considerations - but seriously, HOW MANY variations on the 4dr SUV do you need to make??? It's clearly not working for Ford or Shivvy...) and make a 4Runner in varrying W/B and 2/4-door to compete with the Wrangler (as in maybe the 70-series axles/lockers PLUS 'crawl control and lower T-case gears) then I'd be completely satisfied and Toyota would have NO competitors other then the G-wagen and other non-US model Cruisers.

that's just my opinion. Clearly it's going to be a LONG time before I find a truck that I can import into the US that will be able to pull me away from my 1st gen 4Runner... But then I am a bit of an old truck snob of sorts eh ;)

Cheers

Dave

You're speculating. My comments are based on real-world wheeling not from reading specs. You wouldn't believe how the H3's school the Runners and FJC's.

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Yes I would... I wheel ALOT here in the NW and frankly the H3's DON'T school anything in my experience. It'sd a moot point, they're a dead platform. I totaly applaud the use of the added T-case gearing and F/R lockers, but a 5th gen 4Runner with the same mods would completely embarass an h3 if not just for the fact that you can actually SEE what you're doing.

Antoher Factor is you're in AZ... Maybe the Hummers work well out in that open dry terrain, but here in the NW they just don't do well. It's the same way with H1's. They're utterly useless here in the NW because of the tight trees and other factors...

I have TONS of real-world experience in ALOT of terrain from running Unimogs as Wild-land Fire engines to Working on a Cattle station in Australia and living here in the NW. I'd put my seat time up against anyone I've ever met.

Cheers

Dave

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
they're a dead platform.

Antoher Factor is you're in AZ... Maybe the Hummers work well out in that open dry terrain,

HA!
OPen dry terrain...never been here huh? ROCKS buddy...and that's the H3's forte and the low slung gas tanked Runners hinderance.

Last edited by a moderator:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Yes, I've wheeled AZ lots... and compared to the NW it is open and Dry... We've got Rocks, dirt, trees, mud, sand, more rocks... The NW is a far more diverse terrain field overall and it shows in the rigs that get wheeled up here. My 1st Gen is pretty De-Reguier (or haowever you spell that) for a reason: Perfect wheel-base, loads of ground clearence and built tough as nails. that lineage is alive and well in all 4Runners since mine... I think maybe the issue is the drivers of you 4Runners and not the rigs.

BTW you never answered yuor question about what makes the Taco so much better then the 4Runner... The gas tank is one thing, but all in all they'er pretty simmilar platforms and really the Tank doesn't hang down enough (I know that the 4th Gen Runner is the lowest stock of the bunch, but that's ONE gen of 4Runner) to be THAT big an issue. IF ti were the NW terrain would show that fault and there's be ALOT less of them on the trails. as it is, the most common rigs out here are Toyota P/U's and 4Runners, Jeep Wranglers and Cherokee's, and Suzuki Samaurai's... For a reason. They work the best in the varried terrain up here. My 4Runner has done some amazing things down in the SW too where the massive ammount of GC and the WB makes alot of other rigs look silly. Toyota's are the "Go anywhere" tractors of the 4wd world and if you've ever been outside N.America you'd know that (or maybe you have been and you didn't get to find out...). With the 33's, and F/R LSD's I've taken my 4Runner over terrain that had guys in Wranglers puckering and wishing for more WB and GC. I've also been stuck in places where a shorter WB would have let me manuver better. I've NEVER been in a situation where I thought "gee, I wish I had an extremely LONG truck with a terrible break-over angle and yards more W/B plus terrible visibility"

I realize the Runner has a low-slung tank, but again, the breakover angle of the H3 is a total killer. GM made GM garbage...

Once again, I have tons of seat time in tons of rigs (4 continents and numerous JOBS that involved running 4wd's to their limits). I can't say what your experience is, but clearly we have different views on things. Oh well, that's bound to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Oh and What does Obama have to do with GM's horrible corporate policy and Hummer being a dead platofrm. Obama didn't make GM garbage, GM made GM garbage...

The "garbage" was selling like mad and in far more demand than some Toyota products for sure. The new H3T "garbage" was about to hit and would have been another massive win for Hummer. The "garbage" went away due to Obama Motors...taking over GM and having his idiots who know nothing about the auto business make their decisions. And now we have higher Cafe in play.

So call it "garbage" but the "garbage" didn't go away because it sucked...on the contrary, they were amazingly sucessful for GM and sales were on fire. It's a big loss for GM and Hummer's followers.

Buckru

Observer
Yes...like the picture on Page 10. That sure is dry.

Anyone trying to liken Arizona weather and landscape to the Pacific NW to prove their point is either an idiot, is in desperate need of a geography lesson or is showing they will argue anything that contradicts their beliefs be them right or wrong.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Anyone trying to liken Arizona weather and landscape to the Pacific NW to prove their point is either an idiot, is in desperate need of a geography lesson or is showing they will argue anything that contradicts their beliefs be them right or wrong.

Yes...and same for anybody who thinks one of these rigs is better in one area than the other.

Box Rocket

I feel tired.

If I didn't already have an 80 series and a Tacoma, I think I'd go out and buy a 4Runner just to spite Mr. Shotts. ;)

to the OP, I hope you've already made up your mind and don't have to wade through this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998