A Trip To Nowhere and Everywhere

Yesterday we drove for most of the day. The roads in Quebec are constructed differently than they are in Labrador. The Quebec road is an old road, not improved, and fairly heavily traveled. I found that the road is graded in such a way that it seems to always pull you off the roadbed. I drove it slow. The trucks don't. This guy knows what I'm talking about.

005.JPG

And more rivers..........

002.JPG

The gravel road ended, and I was sorry to see that. I sure enjoyed the drive. I wasn't on the pavement for (5) minutes when I noticed my trailer brake light on. I pulled over and found this. Taped it up and it still works. I could hardly believe it since the pavement chewed it up pretty good. I've also got the camper window taped as well.

012.JPG

Called it quits for the day just before entering Baie-Comeau, the first town on the St. Lawrence River.

This morning we're leaving Baie-Comeau. It's weird getting back on a (4) lane highway, everybody seems to be in a hurry. I'm still poking along.......I've already been honked at twice this morning. I guess I need to get back to reality full time, once again. The plan now is to head for Quebec (city) and then Montreal. Not sure what's next ??

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I'm sure you already know, but make sure to get into the old section of both Quebec and Montreal. You'll mostly want to walk the area as there are some great narrow old streets that would not lend themselves well to a p/u with camper towing a Jeep. ;)
And don't forget to get some crepes while you're in Quebec city, they are typically a breakfast food, so get to the restaurant before noon. ;)

westyss

Explorer
Labrador city

Labrador city and Wabush, used to be two places because of the two mines, each operated by different companies, the iron ore is railed to the town of Sept Iles (Seven Islands ) where they are processed into pellets and shipped. The two companies used to be Iron Ore of Canada and Wabush Mines, a US based company. My dad worked at Wabush mines and we lived in Sept Iles, there never used to roads to those places, folks shipped their cars by rail to Sept Iles, then they drove.
How are the bugs at those places, used to be bad.
Definately stop at Quebec city, the old part, seems more like a European city than a Canadian one. Also your timing might be good for the Laurention Mountains to the north of Montreal, the leaves will be turning and the mountains seem like they are ablaze. Mont st. Sauver is a nice town to check out.
great trip, keep it coming.

dependencies

Observer
That road appeared to have sand-blasted the towing hook-up,
Its nice you included pictures of the road and especially that burned forest as well,

brilliant

I only wish there was a map of some sort with your route plotted

sinbad

Well narrated, Well written, Great pictures...nothing else is needed to show the world your great adventure. Stay safe and thank you again for keeping us well informed:)

So we took a leisurely drive down Route 138 towards Quebec (city) and enjoyed some nice views of the St. Lawrence River. We stopped lots and Yukon got some swimming in today. I was completely surprised by this when we arrived in Tadoussac:

010.JPG

I thought "oh no, I must have been spacing out and missed my turn to Quebec (city)". I pulled over and turned around and went into Tadoussac to find the turn. See, the thing is I don't have a map of Quebec, so I was using my road atlas which doesn't indicate a ferry. Anyhow, we got things sorted out and got ourselves onto the free ferry across the Saquenay River.

019.JPG

Nice views as usual.............

018.JPG

We camped out that night right along Route 138. Not a good night. Lots of truck traffic..........all night long.

Up the next morning and found another serious problem with the Jeep. I had dual exhaust installed on the Jeep years ago, and the driver's side exhaust system is falling off. Without climbing under the Jeep, this picture gives you an idea as you can see a clear break in the pipe near the rear tire.

002.JPG

I took a closer look at the Jeep and noticed rock damage to one of the headlights.

003.JPG

And while I'm showing you broken stuff, here's a reading light in the sleeper that bit the dust as well. Look just above Yukon's head.

026.JPG

And here's an actual shot of something that isn't broken. This is Quebec (city) as you arrive from the northeast.

001.JPG

So, I'm on my way to Quebec, and then Montreal, I began to seriously consider returning home and making repairs to my rig, as well as some modifications. I pulled over into a rest area and saw this rig. The owners, from Ontario, invited me inside and I got to watch my new friend Joe eat eel sandwiches (he brought eel back from their trip to New Foundland). Joe built this himself. It's a really sweet rig. He purchased a truck and a motorhome, cut them in half, and glued them together, or something like that.:Wow1:

003.JPG

And I finally decided that I needed to return home and get some things done before I move on. Montreal is only about (12) hours from my cabin. I won't be this close to home for quite some time. From there I can get much more done in less time, for probably less money, than I can on the road. I also think that I'll leave the Jeep at the cabin, which will require some modifications to the truck and to the camper. And before I started this trip, I was in the market for a tandem sea kayak. I'd sure like to find a used one before I leave, so I'll be scanning Craig's List. Here's my to do list:

1.) Camper-install a kayak rack on the roof plus a roller system for loading and unloading. I saw one on this trip and it was pretty slick. And buy a new to me kayak.

2.) Camper-install a bike rack onto the camper ladder. Hopefully I can find something stock off the internet.

3.) Camper-upgrade the am/fm radio's reception. Not sure what the problem is here, but I'm able to get (20) stations on the truck and none on the camper.

4.) Camper-modify the television cabinet. It's lost space. Not worth explaining.

5.) Camper-replace broken rear window. (completed 11/07/2010)

6.) Camper-repair / replace broken reading light.(completed 11/19/2010)

7.) Camper-replace the door pneumatic closer (or whatever it's called). (completed 10/07/2010)

8.) Truck-100,000 mile service. (completed 10/20/2010)

9.) Truck-repair the wiring harness for the trailer hitch. (completed 09/29/2010)

10.) Truck-have a spare tire mount built on the front of the truck. (completed 09/26/2010)

11.) Truck-replace pitman and idler arms and front end alignment. (completed 10/20/2010)

12.) Truck-replace front brakes. (completed 10/20/2010)

13.) Truck / Camper-a system for holding spare fuel tanks. Not too sure what will be best here.

14.) Me-go to dentist. I broke a tooth while I was in Nova Scotia. (completed 10/05/2010)

15.) Me-I need a follow-up test because of the surgery I had in March. (completed 10/01/2010)

Then there's the Jeep. I'll be making repairs to it as well, even though I won't take it.

16.) Jeep-replace headlight. (completed 02/02/2011)

17.) Jeep-replace exhaust system.

18.) Jeep-repair spare tire mount. (completed 09/28/2010)

19.) Jeep-replace the driver's side door mirror. (completed 11/23/2010)

20.) Jeep-replace windshield. (completed 01/29/2011)

Last edited:
Yukon and I would like to extend our appreciation to all the Canadians that were so kind to us and made the first part of our travels so memorable.

012.JPG

And thanks to everyone for reading, commenting, encouraging, and whatever else you did........I really did enjoy posting here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears