A Trip To Nowhere and Everywhere

Benjamin Gray

Uncle Jerry,

Just finished reading through your adventures. What an awesome way to live. Glad you made it back home for repairs. I can't wait to read/see more.

Love, Ben

Hey Ben...........more to come. Glad you found the site. Hope to leave for Argentina in (30) to (60) days.

Here's my mileage so far:

Truck 5,302 miles
Jeep 130 miles
Ferry 135 miles (estimated)
Foot 120 miles (estimated)
Total 5,685 miles

VicHanson

Adventurer
Hi Jerry,

I didn't realize that you were posting an ongoing trip report until tonight! I'm in San Jose, CA with friends, heading towards L.A. No schedule either, just hiking, biking, visiting friends and some beach time. Sorry you had to take time out for repairs. I need to finish a number of things on my camper too. Finally got the solar panels hooked up a few weeks ago, they work great.

What are your plans for Argentina? How long will you be there? I plan on spending the winter in CA and AZ, other than that no schedule. Loving retirement and my time on the road so far, but I have been spending too much money so need to spend more time in one place and less driving.

Hope all goes well as you continue.

Vic

VicHanson

Adventurer
Jerry, I finally finished your trip report - sounds like you had a fabulous time! Are you back in Virginia yet? When you get a chance please give me a call - 612-570-0379, would love to connect again. Thanks,

Vic

So, here's a very vague map showing Phase 1 of the trip, and what I have in mind for Phase 2 of the trip. Right now I'm thinking that I'll depart by December 1st at the very latest. Phase 1 doesn't look like much compared to Phase 2. Yikes !!!!!!!!!

uRssSc9FGX%282%29.jpg

dependencies

Observer
Thanks for that,

Green (with envy)
doesn't begin to describe my colouring just at the moment,
but as some consolation I'm enjoying your experiences from here

great thread drive safely

Hey Vic............I'll give you a call one day soon. I forgot about your message. My apologies. Well, regarding my plans, my preference is to do the trip by bicycle. I just finally got the clearance from the surgeon to start cycling and today was my first day back on the trainer. I'm thinking that I may leave Virginia right after Thanksgiving on the bicycle, visit relatives in Atlanta and Pensacola, and then head west, then south. Like you, with no income, it's tough pulling in and filling up with diesel. The bicycle would be a nice relief. I don't know for sure about plans in Argentina (or any other S.A. country). Climbing for sure, but I'll have my dog. We'll see. Anyhow, I'll be calling you.

daviddwilson

we need to keep in contact as from your route it looks like our paths may cross
Safe travels
Janet

So, Day 1 was a success with a few bumps along the road. I made it to Rickson Tire and Wheel in Hunt Valley, Maryland and will overnight here in their parking lot. They were kind enough to hook me up with electricity, and not to beat a dead horse, but with these temperatures, it's great to have electricity with the camper a/c. I was on the road for (3) hours which doesn't sound like much, but it's the most truck time that I've seen in (5) months.

So, phase 2 of this trip will now be delayed a little longer than I had originally planned when I returned home. Last night I bought a plane ticket to go here:

potala-palace-500.jpg

I'll be in Tibet (assuming that I get a visa) until November 24th. Yes, I am very excited !! I hope to do lots of treking in the Himalayas and maybe summit a few of the smaller peaks near Lhasa.

x32792

Adventurer
So, here's a very vague map showing Phase 1 of the trip, and what I have in mind for Phase 2 of the trip. Right now I'm thinking that I'll depart by December 1st at the very latest. Phase 1 doesn't look like much compared to Phase 2. Yikes !!!!!!!!!

uRssSc9FGX%282%29.jpg

Just read your whole thread today and wanted to ask if I could join you as you passed near Florida on the run south ....But now you're off to Tibet?

Hope you find what you're looking for....Good luck.

John

Last edited:
I've wanted to go to Tibet for years but for some reason I've always ended up in South America (7 times so far). Tibet has been on my to do list and recently some close friends of mine offered to watch Yukon for me after I mentioned that I had frequent flier miles that I needed to use. I'm really not looking for anything...........I'm simply trying to enjoy my time on this planet as best as I can. Tomorrow I go to the Chinese embassy to apply for a visa. I leave town on October 27th.

I wonder if I should post about that trip on this site (on this thread), since it's not an expedition ? Hmmm........

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I for one hope you post about your Tibetan (sp?) travels right here!

Good luck with the Visa application process, hopefully it doesn't take too long.
My cousin actually travelled to Tibet earlier this year, didn't mention anything about the Visa process. She had some few interesting things to say about the Chinese military officials that searched her bags and caused some significant inconvenience during her trip though... :Wow1:

So, China came through for me and I got my visa on Thursday. Everything seems to be coming together for this trip. My application for the Tibet Travel Permit will be submitted tomorrow. Nervous once again.

I've got my itinerary for the trip worked out. It goes something like this:

I'll be taking a train from Shanghai, China to Lhasa, Tibet. That's a (48) hour ride and I did get a sleeping berth. After flying for I don't know how many hours, I couldn't imagine sitting up for that ride.

Once I arrive in Lhasa, I plan to climb (3) peaks...........Bumpari, Druk Zuk, and Gyaphelri. These are all one day climbs. Plus I plan to check out many of the monasteries and markets.

Next I'll travel by 4x4 Toyota Land Cruiser to Everest Base Camp (EBC). I found (4) guys that are traveling from Nepal to EBC, and I've hooked up with them. Actually we'll have (2) vehicles.

After that I'll travel back to Nepal with them, and then I'll return to Lhasa in one of the 4x4's.

Then I've got a 2 1/2 day trek planned to summit Mindruk Tsari.

And last I'll return to Shanghai by train once again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan