A Trip To Nowhere and Everywhere

VikingVince

Explorer
Jerry...your post on crossing the border into CA reminded me of an incident I had a few years ago. After I didn't give the "right answer" to a border agent's question, I too was pulled over, "cross-examined" inside their building, the dogs put on my truck, etc. (maybe single men are subject to more scrutiny?) The border agent asked me my purpose for visiting and I said visiting a female friend on Vancouver Island. He asked me where we had met. I hesitated...he said 'the internet?' I said yes. That was all he needed to hear. (they later told me there had recently been a sexual attack in Canada with some guy crossing the border to meet an internet contact) They actually called the woman I was going to visit to confirm that she was expecting me! After about a 2 hour delay and talking to my friend, they gave me a rueful smile and said have a good trip! I did too!:)

Again, thanks for posting...really enjoying the eastern Canada posts. I've spent time in western CA but want to do the eastern part.

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
Jerry,
I'm enjoying your photos and write-up. Well done! We were there about a month ago, so its interesting to see again.

Really enjoying reading this thread...thanks for posting. I'm thinking of doing Canada next summer from west to east.
Great pics of the wolves! I'm surprised they hung around in your presence for the pics much less one being aggressive!

Those wolves are probably the young ones that were being fed by the road workers...its been discussed on several ADVrider threads. They will be dead come winter.

We spent a month in Newfoundland and Labrador in 2006, and a shorter time this August. I could not believe the increase in traffic this year...or the amount now paved. But QC389 is a far more interesting road, anyway. You'll enjoy it after Labrador City, as it follows the height of land. Opening the new section and eliminating the ferry from Cartwright to Happy Valley/Goose Bay has meant a big increase in visitors this year.

I originally had not planned on taking the tour of the massive power plant in Churchill Falls. I personally am not big on dams, but I decided to go for it anyhow. They start out with a (20) movie which shows Hamilton Falls before the plant, and after the plant. It was amazing to see the amount of the pristine forests and rivers that were decimated to make the plant. Then they show you the river and the falls prior to the plant construction. Absolutely jaw dropping. After we did the tour, we left town and took the trail out to see what was left of the falls. You walk up onto this huge canyon, well over 300' deep, and the first thing you think is where's the river. Even though you know better, you still think it. For me it was a rather sad sight. Here's some pictures:

030.JPG

029.JPG

026.JPG

We continued west for maybe (5) miles when I noticed a gravel road leading to the north. It lead to an area where they had once excavated for gravel. It was the perfect campsite. I pulled up alongside a lake and parked the rig for the day, having driven only (20) miles at most the entire day. This place was just too perfect to leave.

049.JPG

037.JPG

We took some long walks that evening and watched the sunset.

053.JPG

063.JPG

080.JPG

We went to sleep that night listening a soft rain on the camper roof. A perfect evening.

The following morning I slept in until 6:30 a.m. I looked out the window to see the sky and this is what I saw:

098.JPG

099.JPG

100.JPG

I made my cup of coffee and we went for an early walk. It appeared as though we had visitors last night as there were wolf prints everywhere. By the size of the prints, these were much larger than what I saw several days earlier. We hung around until 11:00 a.m. as I considered staying another night. Finally I packed up and we drove west.

Once again we didn't get too far when I was distracted by a road to the north. I thought that maybe this was the road to Esker, and after waiting for a passing vehicle to confirm it (no road signs when you come from the east-there's one sign up the road a ways when you come from the west). I decided to unhitch the Jeep and do a little exploring. Just as we began to leave a Conservation Officer pulled up. I jumped out to chat with him and during our conversation I asked about collecting Caribou antlers. Turns out that it's illegal. I reached into the Jeep and handed him my collection.

012.JPG

We also talked about the pack of wolves I saw. The story on the wolves: the mother had the litter underneath a nearby cabin. She's gone now, and the wolves have hung around the area. Unfortunately people have begun to feed them and they are becoming domesticated. The conservation officer has recently put in a request to move them to a remote location. He's of the opinion that they'll be dead by winter if they aren't moved. He's waiting to hear back from people further up the ladder.

Anyhow, we drove part way to Esker and stopped for lunch.

025.JPG

As soon as I stepped out of the Jeep, there was another caribou antler. They sure are tempting, but I left it there. Here's some scenery along the road:

014.JPG

017.JPG

013.JPG

We returned to the Trans Labrador Highway and continued our journey west. I saw this cool set up along the way and decided to photograph it. Looks like something a trapper might live in during the day. It's certainly a place that makes my imagination come alive.

003.JPG

007.JPG

001.JPG

Continuing along the highway, we occasionally came across large rigs going east. Here's a sequence of (3) shots showing it as it happens. All (3) shots are taken with the camera in the same spot.

037.JPG

038.JPG

039.JPG

And a last shot of the highway.

031.JPG

Last night, like all nights, we found ourselves a private campsite along an unknown lake. I had my usual can of something, grabbed a book and called it an evening.

This morning we arrived in Labrador City, and this afternoon we're in Fermont, Quebec. I'll post up more next time I'm online.

Hey Lauren...........glad you're enjoying !!

Last edited:

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I hadn't thought about it, but what sort of food have you been eating and what did you take with you?
It seems like there have been a few time when you're out of contact with "civilization" for days at a time, I'm curious about the food aspect.

lbarcher

Adventurer
Good to note the antler collecting.
In most parts of Canada and especially in National and Provincial parks, it is unlawfull to remove animal remains.
It is unlawfull to pick flowers and even remove stones in our National parks.

They do take the old "pictures and footprints" axiom very seriously.

Mr. D

Adventurer
wow those morning pics on the 17th had to make it hard to leave. The pictures of the lake look like a piece of glass especially with the reflection of the sky. I really enjoyed the pictures today. Jerry , enjoy the rest of your travels and stay safe...

The camera is a Nikon D70.

Regarding the foods, I'm eating what I usually eat, although not quite as healthy as I eat at home. I'm usually buying enough groceries for a few days. I haven't been out of touch with reality much more than that.

So, we arrived in Labrador City and did some grocery shopping. This is a booming city with the nearby mines. I think it's iron ore that's being excavated from here, and Fermont as well. A last shot of the Trans Labrador Highway.

001.JPG

And here's a shot leaving Labrador City. The picture doesn't do the scenery justice once again.

012.JPG

And arriving in Quebec..........

019.JPG

After our brief stop in Labrador City, we moved on to Fermont, Quebec, maybe a (20) mile drive west. While waiting for the libary to open for the wi-fi, I noticed the bike rack on the Jeep's spare was askew. As I repaired it, I saw that the entire spare was falling off. Turns out that (5) of the (6) bolts had fallen out. I've since moved the spare into the back of the Jeep with the truck spare.

022.JPG

We continued west and pulled over for the evening.

056.JPG

051.JPG

Some showers moved through that evening and produced a perfect rainbow.

038.JPG

044.JPG

We got another early start Saturday morning and there was a heavy fog out.

002.JPG

The truck had barely slipped into second gear when a wolf crossed the road. I fumbled for my camera and hoped for a picture of the wolf in the fog, but he moved on too quickly for me. Lots of trains moving through the area, hauling the spoils of the mines, south to civilization.

003.JPG

A shot of the forest after a fire.

008.JPG

While Labrador had the lakes, it seems as though Quebec has the rivers.

015.JPG

Late morning I saw a sign indicating the trail head for Mont Jauffret. We decided to climb it. We stopped for lunch near this waterfall.

054.JPG

Yukon was really into this moss. I thought it was beautiful, but she was eating something in there ???

043.JPG

047.JPG

We made the summit and had some amazing views of Quebec's mountains and valleys.

039.JPG

041.JPG

That night I noticed a small piece of glass on the kitchen bench. Turns out that a rock had hit one of the rear windows on the camper.

063.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears