AT Tacoma Habitat: Official Thread

Outbackhack

Any chance the tent (fabric and poles) would be available for purchase by itself for those of us diy fabricators? I probably will not be in the market for the complete Habitat camper (although it looks awesome) but I could definitely see integrating that tent onto my homebuilt trailer if something like it were available.

Clutch

<---Pass
We are not using an off the shelf rear tailgate window we believe they are easily opened and are a security risk. Our custom rear hatch will be much more secure and will have the option of having a rear window.

Is it going to be similar to this?

Shell-Tradesman-Photo-31.jpg

Any plans of doing a door, like on the Caravans?

gallery5.jpg

tacozord

Adventurer
Well done, Mario! I remember talking to you over a year ago regarding this product. I only wish it came out earlier as I had expected. I didn't want to wait, so I ended up buying a used Flippac.

I especially like the photo of the photographer standing on top. I'm glad you incorporated that idea, because I use this feature a lot with my Flippac.

2015-11-22_MojaveRoad_Z2A8805_web600.jpg

kb7our

Explorer
Mario, well done! Nice to see these kinds of continuous innovations from the AT team. One BIG problem...it's going to look ridiculous on my RAM ;)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Any chance the tent (fabric and poles) would be available for purchase by itself for those of us diy fabricators? I probably will not be in the market for the complete Habitat camper (although it looks awesome) but I could definitely see integrating that tent onto my homebuilt trailer if something like it were available.

We haven't thought of this, right now our tents are all designated for production.

Frostymug

Observer
Mario & Martyn, congratulations on bring the AT Tacoma Habitat to market. How about posting a video tour which shows how the tent is opened and closed.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Mario & Martyn, congratulations on bring the AT Tacoma Habitat to market. How about posting a video tour which shows how the tent is opened and closed.

We need to work on that, possibly something next week if we can create more hours in the day.

T2cr

+2 on the video walk around.

Looks fantastic. Very excited to see the DCSB model and pricing. Also looking forward to seeing the sleeping options for a kid or two. Great job, AT and thanks for your patience in answering all these random questions people post.

austintaco

Explorer
If you were going to "fix" another flippac defect, make sure the rear window forms a better seal with the rest of the camper and the tailgate. It's amazing how much water can find it's way into the truck through that little gap.

For the side windows, just a thought, make a removeable guard that bolts up from the inside that would still allow visibility, protect the window from damage, and add security. Maybe it could flip up so you didn't have to actually unbolt it.

Is there an open lot next to AT for all of the used Flippacs that are heading your way?

Eazy.E

PNW Wanderer
If you were going to "fix" another flippac defect, make sure the rear window forms a better seal with the rest of the camper and the tailgate. It's amazing how much water can find it's way into the truck through that little gap.

For the side windows, just a thought, make a removeable guard that bolts up from the inside that would still allow visibility, protect the window from damage, and add security. Maybe it could flip up so you didn't have to actually unbolt it.

Is there an open lot next to AT for all of the used Flippacs that are heading your way?

There is an open bed on my truck for all of those used flippac's if an AT flippac becomes available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
The Taco is an interesting vehicle, in that the rear suspension is anemic, and any type of slide in camper will require some form of suspension upgrade. The Tacoma Habitat Camper is light enough not to require suspension upgrades, it produces less strain on the vehicle, and can be left in place for the daily driver.
While I agree the suspension is anemic I wouldn't have hesitated to put my FWC Finch in my truck with stock suspension. I would hesitate to load it out for a trip though. The empty weight is 575lbs. I'd guess the aluminum construction of the habitat flippac is lighter than the fiberglass. The flippac I had did overstress my stock suspension with camping load out after more than 25 trips. There are pros and cons to each type of design. I like what you're doing with the redesign and had it been what I originally purchased the choice to go with FWC would have been much more difficult. Hope these are water/dust proof.

socalktk

Dibs on a 3rd gen :) Looks amazing, I cant wait to see the price. Might have to drive out to the overland expo just to see it!

robert

Expedition Leader
Looking at one of those pictures from the rear it appears that the supports angle out slightly which will likley increase outward pressure on the shell (seems logical but I'm no engineer). The shell being attached to the bed rail will put outward pressure on the bedsides which may cause problems. There have been reports (with pictures including here on expo) of the metal part of the beds in the Tacomas cracking from spreading. Since Toyota went with the wonky two part bed system they dont have as much tying them together. I'm thinking some sort of brace may be in order for the beds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998