AT's new trailers

ksj

Observer
Thanks Martyn,

Are there any plans to do conversions of existing Horizon's or Chaser's to a teardrop?

(just thought I'd ask since I was wondering, so might as well. ;)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Thanks Martyn,

Are there any plans to do conversions of existing Horizon's or Chaser's to a teardrop?

(just thought I'd ask since I was wondering, so might as well. ;)

I don't think it would work, all of the Teardrop bodies are wider than our chassis, so you can't just drop a body on a rolling chassis.

go4aryd

Adventurer
Lock & Roll vs Multi-Axis Coupler

Martyn,
Can you enlighten us as to the advantages of your new MAX multi-axis coupler vs the Lock N' Roll hitch?

Last edited:

Martyn

Martyn,
Can you enlighten us as to the advantages of your new MAX multi-axis coupler vs the Lock N' Roll hitch?

Both the Lock-n-Roll and the Max Coupler are good couplers.

The Max Coupler is more compact and the tolerances are tighter, this results in a more positive vehicle trailer connection. Reducing the slight sway that some people have experienced with the L&R due to the movement at the rotational axis points.

For us as a manufacturer the big issue is availability. The company who manufacture L&R get involved in large military contracts, and when those hit we couldn't get couplers for 6-8 weeks.

The manufacturer of the Max coupler is local to us, we know the people, they are Overlanders, and they can supply us with couplers on a regular basis.

GunnIt

Adventurer
Both the Lock-n-Roll and the Max Coupler are good couplers.

The Max Coupler is more compact and the tolerances are tighter, this results in a more positive vehicle trailer connection. Reducing the slight sway that some people have experienced with the L&R due to the movement at the rotational axis points.

Martyn,

I have noticed my Horizon swaying at highway speeds, I have the TREG coupler. Would the Max coupler reduce this sway?

Martyn

Martyn,

I have noticed my Horizon swaying at highway speeds, I have the TREG coupler. Would the Max coupler reduce this sway?

Terry

A difficult question to answer.

Are you talking about a small amount of movement that you can see if you look in the side mirror?

Or is it an obvious side to side motion that you can see in the rear view mirror and maybe feel?

The Treg typically doesn't cause any sway. If the Treg is welded to a 2" tube that goes into the receiver tube then you may be getting a combination of movements due to tolerance differences at the trailer receiver tube and the vehicle receiver tube.

If that's the case you should try Silent Hitch Pins to stop the play.

The other thing to look at on the Treg is deterioration of the poly block due to exposure to sunlight. If it's started to break down you could be getting some effect from there.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Martyn,

Could be any number of things. But check your wheel bearing play...easy and quick to do. I let mine go too long and they were sloppy. Adjusting them helped considerably. Also check your toe-in/toe-out to be sure that is within spec.

GunnIt

Adventurer
At highway speeds the trailer produces a very slight yawing motion that is not felt in the tow vehicle but is visible through the side mirrors. It is not the bearing play, I just repacked and resealed. I'll take a closer look at the rubber block on the coupler. I might be calling you for a new coupler.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm assuming it didn't have this yaw until recently?

Many short, light trailers will have a little visible yaw (wag) in the side mirrors but nothing is really 'wrong'. My Chaser did this when new, all was fine.

If you have some yaw that was not present before maybe there is an issue.

At highway speeds the trailer produces a very slight yawing motion that is not felt in the tow vehicle but is visible through the side mirrors. It is not the bearing play, I just repacked and resealed. I'll take a closer look at the rubber block on the coupler. I might be calling you for a new coupler.

kb7our

Explorer
The Tear-drop is a collaboration between AT and So-Cal Teardrops. Gabe from So-Cal is a long time off-roader and we have been bouncing this idea back and forth for a couple of years now.

The Tear drop at the show was a concept trailer to judge peoples reception to the product. The production model looks like it will be 6 inches wider to give a little more interior room and kitchen width.

We will have all the statistics on both trailers posted to our web site sometime next week.

Martyn,

How is the production Oasis and subsequent pricing coming along?

Wade

6Pins

Adventurer
Martyn,

do you know if SoCal has a distributor on the East Coast? I'd like to guage the interior size, and from what I can gather, the Teardrop is about the same size as the Sierra.

Martyn

Martyn,

How is the production Oasis and subsequent pricing coming along?

Wade

We are juggling a few things right now.

Production of our existing trailers
Setting up to produce the Teardrop
Producing a proto-type trailer for the military

For the Oasis we need to re design the kitchen and roof rack.

Our Australian tent supplier now has difficulties supplying us with tents so we are going to have them made in the USA. We are waiting on CAD of the tent and will progress from there.

Manufacturing is not a linear process. We encounter problems and then spend time overcoming them.

As with all of our new we post it on the Portal first. Rest assured we are not sitting around eating Bon-Bons, a day off and a pay check sound good right now.

kb7our

Explorer
We are juggling a few things right now.

Production of our existing trailers
Setting up to produce the Teardrop
Producing a proto-type trailer for the military

For the Oasis we need to re design the kitchen and roof rack.

Our Australian tent supplier now has difficulties supplying us with tents so we are going to have them made in the USA. We are waiting on CAD of the tent and will progress from there.

Manufacturing is not a linear process. We encounter problems and then spend time overcoming them.

As with all of our new we post it on the Portal first. Rest assured we are not sitting around eating Bon-Bons, a day off and a pay check sound good right now.

All the best to the busy AT crew with all these endeavors! it sounds like realistically the production Oasis is likely to unfold within several months before pricing can be made and based on my experience with a '07 Horizon purchase I suspect you guys will release a fine product when the completed design is "right". Maybe Santa will have a new item to deliver this year if all goes well. I'll hold off on sending Bon-Bons :26_34_3: when you have time to come up for air.

Wade

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior