bftanks expo projects - update, 4-28-12, mounted winch on explorer

bftank

Explorer
oh and my son teaching me how to read picture books
IMG_3253.JPG
me teaching him how to fly
IMG_3257.JPG

thought these were fun pics. some of you might enjoy.

bftank

Explorer
did some work on the f350 this last week.

i installed strictly diesel high pressure stainless steel crossover tube to give equal oil pressure to the cylinder heads for firing injectors. it's behind the intake y pipe
IMG_3281.JPGIMG_3280.JPG

while i was doing that i noticed diesel in the intake valley and figured my fuel bowl was leaking again, so i got rid of it. the extra space is so nice.
IMG_3288.JPGIMG_3299.JPGIMG_3283.JPG

bftank

Explorer
i did this the cheap way and cut up the old regulator, drilled and tapped the return for a 3/8ths barb. through a 3/16ths bb under the return spring to increase the fuel psi. the old screens and filter were disgusting.
IMG_3287.JPGIMG_3286.JPGIMG_3284.JPG

this is the old regulator. i clamped it to some plywood to drill and tap it. and then cut off the parts i didn't need and ground it smooth.
IMG_3297.JPGIMG_3296.JPGIMG_3295.JPGIMG_3298.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3300.JPG
    IMG_3300.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

bfdiesel

Explorer
So the napa gold 3123 is rated nominally for 12 microns which means like 60%-98% effective on first pass. The only absolute rating I can find is the Donaldson filter p550944 which is like 38 microns absolute.

bftank

Explorer
thanks for the info on the fuel filter/water separator.

so the filter base is a napa 4309 pn and the filter is a 3123 pn. the rest of the fittings i got at the hardware store.

on saturday i went up to bf diesels place to hangout and we decided to put together a stainless set of lines for the filter, since the galvanized 90* fittings had a little leak to them. it turned out pretty sweet. now the only thing that seems to leak a little is the hose clamps, but tonight i picked up a set of fuel injection hose clamps that have a better design.

IMG_3309.JPGIMG_3310.JPG

Last edited:

bfdiesel

Explorer
So the two filters that fit the 4309 filter head are the napa 3123 and the napa 3418 ( about two inches longer ) both carry the same rating. I will do some more searching to see if anything else fits that base.

bftank

Explorer
so i thought i would give preliminary results of deleting the fuel bowl and adjusting the regulator.

from what i have researched the factory set the fuel psi around 40-45. with the bb in front of the regulator spring. it is at 40 psi. at 240,000 miles i'm sure the spring is a little worn out.

i have replaced some of the hose clamps with the correct fuel injection clamps and that has helped with the idling and start up. less air in the system i am thinking.

butt dyno tells me it has more power and runs smoother. it doesn't start knocking around at an idle randomly anymore. it actually starts up quicker, even with the cold weather (it has been around 16* here lately in the morning). we will see how it does below zero.

bftank

Explorer
finished replacing the hose clamps with the proper fuel injection clamps and my fuel psi went from a bouncy 30-40 psi to a solid 50psi after it is warmed up. from what i have researched 70 psi is a good goal. so i might try sticking another bb in there.

and i got my hangers from ruffstuff for my homemade shackle reversal. it looks like they will be perfect for a 3.5" lift.

IMG_3311.JPG

i am planning on using rear f350 leafs minus the overloads. if that doesn't ride the way i like i can swap in f150 or superduty leafs.

Attachments

• IMG_3309.JPG
    IMG_3309.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

bftank

Explorer
i heat wrapped my downpipe today. what a pain. i recommend if anybody does this to their powerstroke that you jack up the cab a little to get more room. i had to encourage it to go in between the block and the firewall witha piece of oak.

on another note when i opened my hood after starting the f350 i noticed the fuel psi was back down to going between 30-40 psi again, and there was fuel in the intake valley. so i grabbed a flashlight to check it out and noticed that the high pressure hoses that go from the cylinder heads to the regulator were dry rotted and cracked. the passenger side was split open. :oops: so i will see how much they are from the dealer and go from there. i am hoping this is the last of my fuel issues.

bftank

Explorer
following up on the f350, ford doesn't sell the high pressure fuel lines any more according to our dealer in rifle, so i had napa make me some out of 5000psi hydraulic hose. got that back together, still at 40 psi of fuel, still knocks occasionally. so i traced a leak down to behind the a/c compressor where there is a brass plug in the oil rail that pressurizes the injectors. took out the plug and it looked like it was missing one of the two orings that seals the brass plug so i replaced the one and added the other one. runs a lot smoother at start up now, still leaking somewhere, takes quite a while to start as well. still running about 40 psi for fuel.

edit: upon further inspection it is leaking oil out of the oil rail plug on te driverside. apparently i did it wrong. only one oring, and use a form of loctite to seal the plug.

"Check your Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) actuator and also check the large 2" diameter High Pressure Oil Rail End plug on the back of the head. It has a 1/2" square-drive recess in it. There are plugs like this on each end of each head. If that is the leaker, you will need:

Oil Rail End Plugs (large plugs at each end of heads; incl. O-rings, use LOCTITE #11747 to seal threads)
(Ford) Same number as International
(International) 1827535C94", quoting patrick feely on powerstrokenation.

will fix this next week.

in more f350 news i finally got my new liftgate hydro tank yesterday, it is now installed and the liftgate works great with no leaks. :wings: went down to littleton for thanksgiving, and took a trip to colorado springs and picked up the new wheels. it was freezing with the wind blowing, reminded me of north dakota. i also snapped a motivational picture, with the spare tire.

Attachments

• IMG_3358.JPG
    IMG_3358.JPG
    839 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger