Building an Expedition-Worthy 2005 4Runner

DrJohn

Observer
ARB Fridge-Freezer

This is one of the mods I've been coveting for years, and it finally happened :wings:

My plan was to leave tomorrow morning for Wyoming, but I spent all day installing the fridge (my wife insisted :coffeedrink:). This piece of gear was too important to leave behind.

I modeled the stand after many of the others I've seen around here. I decided to put it behind the driver's seat, taking out the small back seat and leaving room for 2 rear passengers and gear in the back.

I started with a plywood base and glued/tacked some carpet on to clean it up. I used existing bolts from the rear seat to install the stand:

3770925254_76e0153a1c_o.jpg

3770925150_f1513c175b_o.jpg

Then it was an issue of bolting and fastening the fridge to the stand.

Front:
3770925334_abe8c6222b_o.jpg

Side, with quick-grab Mag lite:
3770925382_0b4ed535aa_o.jpg

Rear:
3770124417_d212b28a26_o.jpg

I also did the full-time 12V power outlet mod so that I can use the rear auxilliary 12V power to run the fridge while the engine is off.

3770124029_522bd64359_o.jpg

I have not yet installed a second battery, but the ARB fridge has an automatic shutoff before it drains the battery too far. Just to be safe, I'm bringing this:

3770925470_ce60be3712_o.jpg

Hopefully this setup will keep our food and drinks cold for a few days without getting stranded with a dead battery. I'm only going out for the weekend on this trip for reconnaissance, which will allow me to test the gear and fix/update before going out for a longer stay.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Uhhh? If you wait to install the RTT until after the lift and tires, you realize that you just have to lift it further from the ground to rack.....right?

:sombrero: :costumed-smiley-007

spikemd

Explorer
Your build is coming along beautifully and the truck looks nice. I see you are quite partial to all things ARB... Great write-up. Keep it coming... :coffeedrink:

The ARB fridge and location is very clean and your passenger can get to it from the front seat. Great idea to take out the split back seat.

DrJohn

Observer
Uhhh? If you wait to install the RTT until after the lift and tires, you realize that you just have to lift it further from the ground to rack.....right?

:sombrero: :costumed-smiley-007

:oops:

And that thing isn't lightweight either.

Oh well, now I have an excuse for skipping the gym today :sombrero:

DrJohn

Observer
That ARB fridge looks siiiick!
Your build is coming along beautifully and the truck looks nice. I see you are quite partial to all things ARB... Great write-up. Keep it coming... :coffeedrink:

The ARB fridge and location is very clean and your passenger can get to it from the front seat. Great idea to take out the split back seat.

Thanks! I will probably re-carpet the fridge stand when I get back from this trip, since I made the mistake of drilling the stand with the carpet on it. The drill bit often caught a strand of carpet, resulting in those lines you see in the photo. Also, I want to get rid of the small notch on the corner with a diagonal cut to clean things up.

The passenger access to the fridge is a definite bonus.

Photog

Explorer
Beautiful fridge install.

The way the fridge is tied down, the vibrations will cause those two turn buckles to migrate to the center, and become loose.

You could add some type of spacer (PVC tube) on the fridge handle (between the turn buckles) to maintain the spread.

Last edited:

bobDog

Expedition Leader

The way the fridge is tied down, the vibrations will cause those two turn buckles to migrate to the center, and become loose.

You could add some type of spacer (PVE tube) on the fridge handle (between the turn buckles) to maintain the spread.
Yep just run a horizontal cut on the table saw on 1"1/4' PVC and snap it over the handle....unless you're into 'tuckey tech' wrap some duck tape!:victory:

DrJohn

Observer

You could add some type of spacer (PVC tube) on the fridge handle (between the turn buckles) to maintain the spread.

Yep just run a horizontal cut on the table saw on 1"1/4' PVC and snap it over the handle....unless you're into 'tuckey tech' wrap some duck tape!:victory:

That's a good idea. I may try that, but the rubber tubing I put around the buckles really sticks well to the fridge handles. No problems with them migrating so far, but I may do the pvc trick just in case.

DrJohn

Observer
Castle Gardens Petroglyphs Inventory

I just returned from a week in central Wyoming surveying and recording the Castle Gardens petroglyphs. This is an amazing place that was a sacred landscape for prehistoric inhabitants who inscribed over 80 panels of rock art along the sandstone outcrops.

The new 4Runner components worked great! There is a gravel road leading right to the site, so I didn't do a lot of hardcore offroading. But this place is a 2 hour drive from anywhere, so all of the camping components really helped to make the project a success.

The rooftop tent handled wonderfully, and withstood some insane Wyoming winds. I was going to stay only a couple of days for reconnaissance and then return, but I decided to finish the project in one go. And the fridge kept my food and drinks at a chilly 33-degrees the entire time, without running down my single battery :victory:

Here are some shots:

RTT in the sunset:
3801932699_d47dfd4c36_o.jpg

The Rig:
3802748968_52dd92f0ec_o.jpg

Recording a petroglyph panel:
3801932747_21e05f8ff1_o.jpg

3802748974_48fb5abc51_o.jpg

Storm passing (and tired dogs):
3802749010_da4bc4e24a_o.jpg

The weather gods are appeased:
3802749022_7c35e00a6f_o.jpg