Conqueror Compact Weight?

Honu

lost on the mainland
not sure any one who has them here in the states ? that has had them on scales to be for sure ?

one of the guys from a SA site has hid on a scale and said it was about the same as they had on their site ? but he had a few things in it ?

I thought they were around 900 lbs empty ?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
1650lbs Empty.

Just checked on it for you.

However, although the weight is reflective of the quality of build, ... the trailer is so perfectly balanced, that one person can maneuver is around quite easily.
Additionally, I can barely tell it is behind my truck!!

Hope that helps.

Dendy

ThomD

Explorer
Thanks guys. Dendy, by empty, do you mean the water tanks empty and nothing not on the stock trailer, ie no fridge?

Honu

lost on the mainland
maybe it was 900kg for the conqueror then I was thinking as that does sound a bit light :) hheheheh

I want to get mine to a scales sometime so I know for sure

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
ThomD said:
Thanks guys. Dendy, by empty, do you mean the water tanks empty and nothing not on the stock trailer, ie no fridge?

Yes, that is with no fridge and the water tanks empty. Forget what the ratio is for gallons of water to pounds, but I think 5 gallons is equal to 60lbs. Not sure about that.

ThomD, ... you thinking about getting one?

We need another Conqueror Club member!!! ;-)

Dendy

ThomD

Explorer
8 lbs to the gallon. Yes, we are looking at all out options trying to figure out where best to stimulate the economy. We are on the west coast, so I can't easily go see the ones in Georgia and there is the issue of getting it from there to here.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The stamp on mine and my paperwork says it has a GVWR of 1650 pounds, not dry weight of 1650.
I've been curious to weigh it; I'll try to find a scale around here.
If tongue weight is an indicator, it's usually about 175 pounds and tracks true. I've got almost 5,000 miles pulling it so far and haven't complained since I regeared the Jeep...

ThomD

Explorer
Thanks guys. Dendy, thanks for the PM. I think we are ready to move from the "I wonder how that would work out" to "I wonder if we want to spend that much money" phase. I usually spend a couple of weeks in this phase.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
ThomD said:
Thanks guys. Dendy, thanks for the PM. I think we are ready to move from the "I wonder how that would work out" to "I wonder if we want to spend that much money" phase. I usually spend a couple of weeks in this phase.
I spent 4 months in that phase. During that time I drew up plans for building my own trailer, contacted custom builders, looked at ghetto-rigged trailers, considered racks and RTT's, and even talked to Martyn on the phone for a half hour (Martyn is a gift from the heavens, btw; thank you, sir).
In the end the Compact was the right trailer for us. The investment pays for itself in the use of your all-too-valuable quality leisure time.

ThomD

Explorer
arg. Since the Compact does not have trailer brakes, it exceeds the towing specs of my Suby. Back to square one.

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
I am curious to know why you eliminated the Chaser from consideration. I weighed mine dry with the Eezi-awn 1800 tent and Engel MT45 fridge onboard. It weighed 1480 lbs which is well below what the Subaru is rated to tow. It has trailer brakes.

I just towed mine from Kansas through Tennessee to Virgina behind a 2006 Honda CR-V. Because I was moving, I removed the tent and fridge to use the trailer as a utility trailer. I filled it with about 600 lbs of assorted household stuff and the CR-V pulled it just fine. Granted it was never off road, but the CR-V would not be my first choice in an off road vehicle anyways. The only issue was that the tongue was a little heavy. That could be rectified by not using the dual battery setup that I have.

Based on my experience, I would think that the Subaru would have no issues with towing the Chaser.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
ThomD said:
arg. Since the Compact does not have trailer brakes, it exceeds the towing specs of my Suby. Back to square one.
Swap the axle and wire up some brakes.
I plan to do that eventually myself. I'll also match the hubs of the Jeep while I'm at it.

BTW, I went with a Conqueror over an AT for only two reasons.
1) the Conqueror has a really tall vestibule standard -- and I'm really tall
2) price

I still have dirty dreams about Horizon trailers and think they're the overall best built.

ThomD

Explorer
Nuclear Redneck said:
I am curious to know why you eliminated the Chaser from consideration.
Cheers,

Thanks for the info. I have not completely eliminated the Chaser, but there are some things that put me off: 1. Difficulty accessing the interior. I'm short. 2. Water container on the outside not secured. 3. First glance at price seems a bit higher. 4. I was seduced by Overland TV's video of the Conqueror.

I'm not disputing in anyway that ATs are excellent. I may decide to get one, but like I said, there are some issues that give me pause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan