Conqueror Compact Weight?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"I think that's still way too light. I'm building a trailer almost exactly the same size and it'll be pushing 1500 just for the bare bones"

I also have a home build about the same size, but estimate mine to be around
800lbs empty, but I used aluminum panels rather than steel.

XJBANKER

Explorer
I took my trailer to weigh it last night. I took it as is so the gas cans, tools tent wolf packs and everything it came with was on it or in the nose cone. grand total weigh in was 1500lbs. So there you go.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
We had our first Conqueror come into the shop to be looked at for a possible suspension upgrade, so we had some time to look the chassis over. The chassis is thin walled folded steel, so lots of weight savings there.

The chassis on this trailer was damaged after going over a shelf and coming down on the chassis member. It might be that the gauge of steel is a little thin for the types of trails and abuse handed out in the US.

We had similar issues with the trailers we used to import from South Africa, and used that experience to build a much more substantial chassis for the AT brand.

Building trailers is always a series of compromises, What do you give up if you save weight on the chassis? Our current thinking is to keep the chassis solidly built and save weight using composites on the body.

XJBANKER

Explorer
We had our first Conqueror come into the shop to be looked at for a possible suspension upgrade, so we had some time to look the chassis over. The chassis is thin walled folded steel, so lots of weight savings there.

The chassis on this trailer was damaged after going over a shelf and coming down on the chassis member. It might be that the gauge of steel is a little thin for the types of trails and abuse handed out in the US.

We had similar issues with the trailers we used to import from South Africa, and used that experience to build a much more substantial chassis for the AT brand.

Building trailers is always a series of compromises, What do you give up if you save weight on the chassis? Our current thinking is to keep the chassis solidly built and save weight using composites on the body.

How much do your horizon trailers weigh?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Interesting all of this. So they really are that light weight. I was about to say that they must be really thin gauge, and then maybe subject to damage, and Martyn confirmed that. I think the Conquerors are built more for rough road usage, not trail usage. And that doesn't necessarily mean that they won't hold up long term. Modern unibody cars are vastly stiffer/weight than an old solid frame car. But no one point on the body is capable of taking an impact load the same way you can on a frame.

Then I'm not so discouraged with the weight of mine. It will be much stouter than the Conqueror. Since I've got only 16-18" of ground clearance, I designed it to be really solid underneath with a smooth 14ga metal surface to be dragged/winched over anything. But it's not intended for the Rubicon either, as then it would just be a winchfest. But if I'm on a trail with a few tough spots, I can drag it over.

I'm hoping it'll be 2000-2500 fully loaded, but the frame will be capable of 3500 for road use when I'm hauling dirt bikes on the tongue.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
How much do your horizon trailers weigh?

The Horizon weighs 1100 lbs, all the stats are here http://www.adventuretrailers.com/comparison.html

On the Horizon and Chaser we do not use internal frames, all the strength is engineered with bends. A huge advantage over the home builds when it comes to weight.

As I said trailers are a series of compromises. If you have a trailer designed of open savanna or desert having a thin walled chassis would make sense. Tight rock trails with obstacles would lead to a heavier chassis.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Well... you do have a tubular frame, right? I almost misread what you're saying here. The reality is, once you figure two trailers have tubular frames, a few tubular uprights for the box might weigh... 100lbs. It's not a huge deal.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I will answer the first question....

I will answer the original question....in a day or two......
NYS is now requiring me to get a weigh slip before I can register my trailer. I said 1550 pounds (by converting kg) but they want it in pounds. I do plan to empty the trailer and removed the spare tire and battery. If by chance I am close, less than 1,000 pounds, I won't require a title. PS the funny part of the day, they decided today my VIN is assigned to a boat, not a boat trailer, but a boat!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Laughing on the inside

I am laughing on the inside... I assured them it wasn't a boat... but I doubt they believed me.

fubar

Adventurer
I'd laugh if I wasn't still stinging from my DMV adventure. I'm sure it will all work out...at gubment speed.

Honu

lost on the mainland
and to think they want the gov to do health care !!!

I dont care if you arm did get hit with a hatchet my paperwork says its a leg and that is what we are going to remove today !!!!!!! we dont bother stitching them up anymore !!!!!!!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
weight!

My "boat" ie Conqueror Compact weighed 1260 pounds at a certified NYDMV scale today. That was without the spare, Wolfe boxes, battery or tools and fuel cans. But I left the dishes and bar stuff. My thought was if I was close to 1000 lbs, I would remove whatever else I had to to get below the limit for needing a title. So there you have it...

1260 pounds.

fubar

Adventurer
I expect that removing the tent would get you below 1000. BTW - anyone know how to remove the tent/tent cover?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan