Expedition TrailBlazer Project

JamesDowning

Explorer
Here are the new flattened ends made with the vice. Much cleaner.
9.jpg

Supports all mounted up to the hinges:
10.jpg

Rough layout of the support hoops. Things still need to get cut down to final heights. Slowly taking shape.
11.jpg

JamesDowning

Explorer
interesting idea. nice "vice work"......are you going to seal that plywood before it warps? any plans for some metal frame/banding work around the perimeter and some sort of ribbing?

some router work..... http://brunnerent.com/Tools/Portfol...size=0&lngDisplay=0&jPageNumber=9&strMetaTag= or

http://www.brunnerent.com/Tools/Por...size=0&lngDisplay=0&jPageNumber=3&strMetaTag=

The plywood is sealed, but as with most wood it still warps a bit. The boards I used have a very predictable warp to them, which I used convex-up to actually assist with tent strength.

I am still going back and forth regarding framing the bases or not. I'm actually leaning towards using a velcro peremeter to attach the tent material. I think it will make tension adjustments easier, and if the tent ever needs to be washed/mended/modified, it would be easier to unvelcro the tent in order to remove it from the base.

On to some updates from the weekend. A lot of work, but it doesn't LOOK like a whole lot. A lot of seat-of-the-pants engineering work going on.

Support hoops trimmed to the proper lengths, adjustment knobs added.
12.jpg

Hinge and support hoops when the tent is folded up. Looks nice and neat.
13.jpg

Quickly laying out the ladder to see where the brackets will need to sit. (I still need to make the ladder brackets, not enough time in a weekend to do everything.)
14.jpg

Through my testing so far, I noticed the cantilevered base section bowed under my weight much more than the base that is anchored to the roof. With my full weight, I could stick my fingers through the opening that was created between the bases. So it was not only a pinch point, but a weak point in the design too. So I added an aluminum support lip so the anchored base so it shares the load with the cantilevered base. So far it's working great, especially since it's essentially a bandaid that I didn't originally expect to need.
15.jpg

Since I'm using a lighter polyester, and not a heavy canvas for my cover (and since it will not be fully stretched upon unfolding), I saw the possibility of hyper-extending the main joint. That could cause reliability issues, so I created a suspension support to help hold the weight of the cantilevered section. This will prevent pulling a seam or breaking the hinge. The main support will actually come from the ladder, but these should be a good aid, especially when setting the tent up.
16.jpg

Detail of the nylon abrasion insert in the support tube.
17.jpg

I also got a good start on the tent mounting points, but it needs more work. I'm hoping to have the whole structure mounted and tested on the truck later this week. It's slowly getting there. The real challenge will be the tent material itself.

JamesDowning

Explorer
I got it all mounted up and tested it out a bit last night. It seems to work as planned. I'm getting ahead of myself...

First I had to get the ladder mounted up. I was just trying to get it done, so it's not the prettiest mount.
18.jpg

Here's a detail of the mount (still unfinished/unpainted but in working order). Hard to really see what's going on, but basically I notched a 1x1 steel tube so the full cross section would be resting on the inner rail of the roof rack, but then becomes a thin tab that functions as the hold down. The trick is reaching your fingers in there to get the nut on the stud with only 1" of room. Not too bad though. I'm thinking about adding a small 1/4" spacer to the bottom of the tab, just to lower the mounting stud a bit more. A ratcheting box wrench helped a good bit. (I wrapped electrical tape around the end so it wouldn't scratch the roof as I put it all together, so that's the thin plastic you see.)
19.jpg

Here it is all mounted. It was a bigger challenge to get it up there than I thought. I figured 80 lbs, no problem to lift that by myself. Wrong. It wouldn't have been too hard with two people, but my wife pulled something in her shoulder, and wasn't able to lift it. So I ended up disassembling the main hinge and lifting it up in halves. Surprisingly it wasn't that bad doing it in pieces and the assembly wasn't too hard since I could rest the cantilever section on the support lip while reassembling the hinge. However I didn't end up getting it up there until it was dark out. As for the ladder leash, it probably isn't necessary in softer ground, but on pavement I felt better with it there.

Anyways, here it is:
20.jpg

Supporting my weight, no problem.
21.jpg

TKSC01

Adventurer
I finally subscribed

This thread just keeps getting better and the build quaility is just rediculous! My new addiction......:wings:

BPMOU

Observer
I am following this thread to get a good idea whats out there as well. I used to have an 80 LC that I sold three years ago. We now have two cars, but are planning selling on of our newer cars and get back into a paid off 4x4 for my wife, daughters and I.

Here in CO, I could use the 4x4, and while I like the cruisers I also like being able to get any part I may need at the local auto parts store.

I plan on going with a full size domestic as well. Good luck on your hunt.

JamesDowning

Explorer
I am following this thread to get a good idea whats out there as well. I used to have an 80 LC that I sold three years ago. We now have two cars, but are planning selling on of our newer cars and get back into a paid off 4x4 for my wife, daughters and I.

Here in CO, I could use the 4x4, and while I like the cruisers I also like being able to get any part I may need at the local auto parts store.

That is the nice thing about a late model GM in the US... parts are relatively cheap and very available. Although the TB doesn't exactly stand out as an obvious choice for a good midsize overland vehicle... it actually is.

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
Can't wait to see the final product of this!! If you listed previously I apologize but how many will it sleep? Very nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger