From Stock To Stacked...The Story Of A JK

WFTW

Adventurer
one thing i don't get is why jeep decided to mount the shock so low it almost scrapes the ground. this is rediculous - bothers me big time on mine. on my xj i raised it level with the axle, but here i cannot weld on the axle due to tech inspection (supposedly)

Mine was actually moved up about 1.5 inches and then the excess was trimmed off. It's sitting higher than the bottom of my rear differential.

There are skid plates available for the rear shock mounts if you'd like. Also check Poly Performance...they've got a rear shock relocating bracket which allows you to move the shock a bit higher. It will get yours up to about the same height as mine is.

Glad you liked the vid of the rock garden. :)

Last edited:

WFTW

Adventurer
I didn't feel much like running wires again today (had enough of that yesterday) and since there were other things needing to be done, I decided to put off the wiring for another time.

Today I took of the lower corner sections of my windshield frame.

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0017-1.jpg

As you can see, they were scratched up quite a bit...a result of installing the Wild Boar Products roof rack and then deciding to get rid of it.

DSC_0014.jpg

I then used an electric sander to get rid of the rust and took those sections down to bare metal.

DSC_0018-1.jpg

After that was done, I scratched up the rest of them in preparation for painting. They were then sprayed with primer. Tomorrow they will be spray painted black. Hopefully they'll be back on the Jeep by Wednesday.

WFTW

Adventurer
The AEV Heat Reduction Hood arrived today. Long story short...I'm getting two of them. The first one is a slightly used one which has been painted red. The second one is being custom painted by COP4x4. Since I'm not sure exactly when that one will be finished, I've decided to paint the red one black so that it will be on the Jeep when it's on display at the West Palm Beach International Boat Show (March 26-29).

My first impression of the hood is...WOW! The thing is SOOO much better than the stock hood. Not only does it look better, but it's much heavier.

Here it is in the box.

DSC_0003-3.jpg

First thing to do was scratch up the surface to prepare for painting. I tackled the underside first.

DSC_0004-4.jpg

I then flipped the hood over and did the topside.

DSC_0005-5.jpg

Next we had to fix two dents. Here's the first one.

DSC_0006-4.jpg

Here's the second one, after it was straightened out.

DSC_0011.jpg

Various scratched in the front of the hood...another reason it needed to be painted.

DSC_0009-2.jpg

Bondo was added to each areas.

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Those areas were then smoothed out.

DSC_0036.jpg

Finally, those two spots and the front were sprayed with primer.

DSC_0041.jpg

It will be painted over the next few days.

WFTW

Adventurer
My day started out with a trip to 4WP to get 2-piece soft doors. I put those together, but didn't try them out on the JK yet.

After that, it was time to get back to the whole wiring thing. I first ran the right side rock lights wire over to that side of the Jeep. Then I got to work on the digital brake controller wires (2). One had to be run from the rear of the vehicle up to the front (to underneath the steering wheel). The other had to go from the battery to underneath the steering wheel. Had a little bit of difficulty, but got it done and both wires are hidden.

I then pulled out the front ARB locker tube. I need to go to 4WP to pick up the connector parts, and will then re-run that away from any hot spots (I had a hole burnt into it twice previously).

I also bought a digital brake controller...but I still have to get the part which goes into the rear bumper for the trailer's taillights and brakes.

Brad painted the top of the hood with a different sort of primer he said in needed, and then painted the bottom of the hood black. Tomorrow we will flip the hood and paint the top black.

Finally, I met with the guy doing the Super Secret Squirrel modification on the interior of the Jeep (the one the 4th switch in my Tuffy overhead security console will operate). The meeting went well and we will tentatively do the install of that on Friday. That certain modification will be in a kit, which will be made available for purchase (mine is the first one/prototype) through Overbuilt Customs. I can hardly wait to get it put in!

Tomorrow will be yet some more wiring (rock lights). Hopefully the brake controller will be installed in the cab of the vehicle, and with any luck I'll also find that last piece for the trailer hook-up. Busy, busy, busy.

booger

Observer
looking good Jason! glad to see you at least have one hood... are we going to place bets on which one you're running when you see us in a month?? :)

WFTW

Adventurer
looking good Jason! glad to see you at least have one hood... are we going to place bets on which one you're running when you see us in a month?? :)

I'm hoping it will be the black and purple one. But just in case, the red one is being painted black. In fact, the bottom of the hood was painted last night and the top of the hood will be painted tonight (and on the JK tomorrow). :victory:

I'll have another update with more pictures later tonight. We did a little custom work today and I put on a few new parts. :)

ExpoMike

Looking good. Bummer about the drawing. Not really a fan of the stinger as I feel most are too tall and look out of place. Nice work done, just not for me.

WFTW

Adventurer
Yep, the stinger is a personal decision for each person. I hardly expect everyone to like what I've done to the Jeep. I've seen a stinger in action and it saved a Jeep from some serious damage...so for me, I thought it was a good idea. With the way the Jeep is, I like how the stinger sort of balances it out (look-wise).

More work was done on the Jeep today. The first thing done was I put on the Best Top 2-piece soft doors. I wasn't sure how the black doors would look on the black Jeep (since they're different tones of black), but I thought they looked good. Few things...

1. Would have been nice if they had the map compartments like the 2-piece soft doors for the TJ. You'd think if they put those on the TJ ones, they'd put them on the JK ones too.

2. A limiting strap to keep the door from swinging all the way open to the fender flare would come in handy. Obviously they weigh next to nothing, so the slightest of breezes blows them all the way open.

3. At 30 mph, they're fine. At 35 mph you start to hear and see some vibrations. At 60 mph you'd swear the top of the door was going to fly off at any moment and you'd better have some decent speakers if you plan on hearing the radio (had to turn my factory radio volume up to between 30 and 35 to hear it.

4. The doors come with a lock (which is not available on prior soft doors...like on the TJ). Yes, someone can get in with nothing more than a pocket knife, but a lock is somewhat of a deterrent.

5. The doors do not allow me to use my Olympic brand side view mirrors.

Overall I'm happy with them. I'll save a few hundred pounds having them on rather than the hard doors. I enjoy having the doors off and this will allow me to do so and store the soft doors easily in the trailer or behind the front seats. I'm quite certain some rain will get in (or water when I wash it), but the interior has Line-X and besides, it's a Jeep, so it's all good. I've had my past Jeeps with a few inches of water in them.

Brad (Overbuilt Customs) painted the lower windshield brackets last night and they were ready to put on the Jeep. But, with mirrors no longer fitting, it was decided we'd weld on a small metal tube to attach the side view mirrors to. They were sanded down, the part was welded on, then the brackets were repainted today. They'll go on the JK tomorrow and the mirrors will be installed.

The bottom of the AEV Heat Reduction Hood was painted black yesterday. Today the bottom was taped off and the hood flipped over. I sanded the top down (since it had been hit with primer in the three areas where dents were fixed) and then painted black. It will go on the JK tomorrow.

Finally, I called up a dealership here in Florida and bought the wiring harness that comes with the tow package on the JK. It will arrive at Brad's shop tomorrow.

I took pictures, but unfortunately forgot the camera at the shop. So, I'll post up the pictures tomorrow. Lots planned for tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it.

booger

Observer
if that harness is anything like the one i put on my Commander, the dealer will need to hook up the StarScan tool to your JK to tell it the harness exists.

WFTW

Adventurer
if that harness is anything like the one i put on my Commander, the dealer will need to hook up the StarScan tool to your JK to tell it the harness exists.

Probably the same thing...I think it's got to be scanned at a dealership.

WFTW

Adventurer
Another update. First, let's take care of the pictures I couldn't upload last night.

Best Top 2-Piece Soft Doors

DSC_0004-5.jpg

Showing why a limiting strap would come in handy. Also notice the non-existent map holder like the TJ soft doors have.

DSC_0005-6.jpg

Bottom of the AEV Heat Reduction Hood painted.

DSC_0003-5.jpg

Bottom of the AEV Heat Reduction Hood was then taped off.

DSC_0007-4.jpg

The AEV Heat Reduction Hood was then flipped over and I sanded it down to smooth out the areas that were fixed (2 small dents and some deep scratches in the front).

DSC_0009-4.jpg

The top of the AEV Heat Reduction Hood was painted last night. Not five minutes later a HUGE moth flew right into the center and ruined it. Therefore, it now has to be sanded again and repainted. Oh well...at least it will have 2 coats of paint. And yes, the moth was killed with extreme prejudice.

The lower windshield brackets were sanded down and a piece of metal tube was welded towards the bottom of them so I could attach my Olympic mirrors and be street legal.

DSC_0006-6.jpg

Lower windshield brackets installed.

DSC_0011-2.jpg

Today was a long one. The fog lights and winch were taped off and the front bumper was painted.

DSC_0014-1.jpg

The underside (axles, frame rails, springs, etc) were painted with the same semi gloss black used on the front bumper. It looks AMAZINGLY clean underneath and I'm liking it. Of course, it will only stay that way for about two weeks, but it needed to be done since the Jeep and trailer will be on display for four days at the West Palm Beach International Boat show next weekend. Still a little bit of detailing painting to do, but not much.

With most of the painting taken care of, the wiring was then tackled. First thing to do was install the harness for the trailer lights. It attached to the left taillight and was then run underneath the vehicle to the battery and a small wire coming off the harness was then run through the firewall into the cab of the vehicle...all easier said than done.

The two rear bumper KC HiLiTES were then wired up. Again, easier said than done. I absolutely HATE wiring but am slowly getting use to it.

Finally, four rock lights were installed (one in each fender well). For whatever reason, the bulbs are white but they put out a blue light, which isn't going to light up much. Looks very cool, but that's about it. The lights were put on relays, so if I want to change them out for white ones later, it won't be so much of a hassle. By the way, you can see the wires in the pictures, but they were tucked away out of view later.

Here's their location in the front fender wells.

DSC_0012-1.jpg

Here's their location in the rear fender wells.

DSC_0013.jpg

Still to do:
Programmer (to fix the speedometer, shift points, etc)
Wire up the digital electronic brake controller
Finish wiring up the trailer light harness and drill hole in rear bumper for this
Finish wiring up the windshield mounted KC HiLiTES
Finish painting the AEV Heat Reduction Hood and other random parts of the vehicle
Install Super Secret Squirrel item in interior
Install Best Top 2-Piece Rear Soft Doors (when they arrive)
Install Raingler Nets (and possibly modify one of them)
Check all nuts and bolts underneath for tightness
Detail interior and exterior
Apply all the stickers

I'm sure there's a few more things here and there, but that's most of it.

Last edited:

WFTW

Adventurer
First thing done today was the removal of the OEM hood.

DSC_0002-4.jpg

The AEV Heat Reduction Hood was then FINALLY installed using the hardware from the OEM hood.

DSC_0003-6.jpg

DSC_0004-6.jpg

DSC_0005-7.jpg

DSC_0007-5.jpg

I'm liking the hood. Since it's heavier than the OEM hood, I don't have that hood lift problem at high speeds anymore. Now I just have to wash and wax the rest of the Jeep so that it will match.

WFTW

Adventurer
After putting on the AEV Heat Reduction Hood (see previous post) there was more to take care of.

A few pages back were pictures of the Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Seat Covers. Well, they didn't fit my new Mastercraft seats very well, but I wanted to keep them because I really liked the back pieces. So, I threw away the front part and then cut off the velcro straps along either side (which attached the back pieces to the front ones). I kept the very top velcro parts to allow the equipment carrier to hang on the seat.

There were two problems with this. First, one of the velcro pieces I kept had to be twisted half a turn to work with the other velcro piece. The second thing wrong was due to not attaching on the bottom anywhere, it hung straight down rather then angling towards the front of the vehicle at the bottom (following the contour of the seat back).

To fix these things, one of the top velcro pieces were removed, rotated a half turn, and sewn back on. Looks great now.

DSC_0014-2.jpg

Next, two straps were sewn onto the bottom of the equipment carrier (one on each side) and attached to the seat mounts so that it wouldn't hang straight down, but rather stay against the seat back.

DSC_0016-2.jpg

Worked well.

DSC_0015.jpg

With that taken care of it was time to modify the Raingler Net that goes behind the rear seats. I wanted something to separate the back seat area from the trunk area as well as allow me to see better. With towing a large trailer, I want to be able to see as much as possible.

First thing done was to lay the net on top of the fabric we were using and mark off the areas to be sewn as well as where the window would go.

DSC_0008-1.jpg

The net was sewn to the fabric around the perimeter and then the window was sewn in. We decided not to sew all the middle parts of the net to the fabric because, when installed, the fabric would be pulled tight anyway (so all the sewing wasn't necessary).

It was then flipped over so that the fabric blocking the window could be cut out. The glass used won't scratch like other Jeep windows...I forget the name of the stuff, but it's top notch.

DSC_0010-2.jpg

Here's what it looks like on either side.

DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0011-3.jpg

It was then installed in the Jeep and we noticed it could use another two straps at the top (to help with the added weight).

DSC_0020-1.jpg

I decided to install it with the nets facing the front of the Jeep, just in case I (or someone riding in the back) want to hang something from them.

DSC_0017-2.jpg

Here's the view from the back.

DSC_0018-2.jpg

The company is called Top Stitch and they do really good work. They've made various custom soft tops, bikini tops, etc for the Jeeps Brad (Overbuilt Customs) builds. If you're interested in something like this, the guy's email is Mat@topstitch.us All you would need to do is mail him your net or whatever else you need work done to.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan