From Stock To Stacked...The Story Of A JK

1speed

Explorer
:drool: Looks awesome! When do you expect to get your charity stuff straightened out so you can sell raffle tickets again? I really want a shot at that Jeep! :Wow1:

WFTW

Adventurer
:drool: Looks awesome! When do you expect to get your charity stuff straightened out so you can sell raffle tickets again? I really want a shot at that Jeep! :Wow1:

The raffle won't happen. The program starts in less than a month and there's simply not enough time to get all the permits needed prior to the start of the program. Sorry...sucks because I was totally committed to doing the raffle.

Did some more work on the Jeep. My tail lights were sitting at an angle (angled upwards) and I couldn't figure out why they weren't fitting over the AEV Rear Corner Guards correctly. Yesterday a friend pointed out that the reverse lights were on top...they should be on the bottom. I switched those and the problem was solved.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

The other thing I did was mount the Hi-Lift jack. I didn't want it exposed to the elements (as well as to thieves), so I wanted it mounted inside the vehicle. Given it's size, there weren't a whole lot of options. I finally decided to mount it to the rear roll bars. I drilled a hole through each one and with a few washers, nuts, and 1/2 inch bolts, it came out really good, I think.

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

1speed

Explorer
Bummer on the raffle deal. The money was refunded to me through Pay Pal automatically. Can I assume if I send it to your charity again it will be kept as a donation? I still want to make the donation if possible.

The Jeep looks sweet!

WFTW

Adventurer
Yes, I refunded everyone who made a donation for a raffle ticket. We are still trying to raise money, but without the raffle, it's proving to be very difficult. Donations of all sizes are accepted via the donation page of the WFTW website. All donations are tax deductible (everyone who donates receives the information needed to claim their donation on their taxes).

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT! :D

WFTW

Adventurer
I got a few things done to the Jeep today...nothing overly special, but things that needed to be done.

Last June while testing out the Jeep I broke the front right marker light (attached to the fender flare). It has been held on via a zip tie since then. Today I finally decided to fix it properly. I drilled a pilot hole and screwed it back in. One of the wires had come undone, so soldered that back on. I lengthened the wires a bit as well, just to make it easier to work with.

Here's a shot of the underside of the right front fender flare.
DSC_0002-1.jpg

The next thing to be done was connect my fog lights. The right fog light was fine, but the wires for the left one weren't long enough to reach the light. So, I first borrowed some 16 gage wire from an extension cord I had.

DSC_0001-1.jpg

I then lengthened the wires going to the fog light. Checked them afterwords and they work fine.

DSC_0003-1.jpg

I now have three lights working that didn't work yesterday...not bad.

WFTW

Adventurer
Spent another day on the Jeep. First thing needing to be done was the removal of the hard top.

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0003-2.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

With the hard top off, we removed the Tuffy overhead security console. The reason that needed to be taken off is because that is where I'll mount the CB and all the switches for the rock lights, off-road lights (few sets), etc. There will also be a switch for an AWESOME thing Brad (Overbuilt Customs) has come up with...we're not sure if we're going to be able to get it on there or not (time sensitive), but if we do it will be pimp! I'll let that out of the bag once/if it's installed.

With that taken care of, it was time to tackle the exhaust. I dented the tailpipe when I took the Jeep to Tellico to test it out. That trip also put a hole in the exhaust. It wasn't my bad driving...just a bad location for the exhaust.

The heat shield was relocated to the left side of the vehicle and the pipe re-routed so the tip would come out behind the left rear tire. It was then adorned with a new tip. You can see in the first picture that the muffler is tucked up under the vehicle really nicely (above the frame rails).

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

Driving it home was GREAT...real nice sound!

Have a long day ahead of me tomorrow. I'll be spending the first half of the day detailing the interior (since it's now easier to do with the top off). The second half of the day will be spent on the all the wiring.

Finally, I got confirmation today that the WFTW Jeep and trailer will be on display at the West Palm Beach International Boat Show. This show is HUGE...people from all over the world go there. While it's a "boat show," there are Ferraris, Lambo's, and other high-end vehicles there. Being among the waist-high sports cars, the Jeep and trailer should really stand out and I'm excited about having it shown there to help spread the word about the WFTW program and bring attention to our country's wounded service members.

WFTW

Adventurer
Today started out with cleaning the interior of the Jeep...lots of cleaning. While it was a good first run, I still have a little ways to go. I'm guessing I'll have to do what I did today twice more.

The massive job of wiring everything up was then started. Since the Tuffy overhead security console was already removed, that was one less step. Five holes were drilled into the front of that box for the switches. The ground wire was run to each and then the power wire was run to each. The Tuffy overhead security console has a hole already made in the rear (panel closest to the windshield when installed). This is very handy because all the wires will fit nicely through there.

The housing for the CB was then installed inside the console. So that I wouldn't have screws showing underneath the console, it was attached to the top panel. Finally, the mount for the mic was installed to the side of the console.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, but will get some Sunday when we pick off where we left off today. Sunday will consist of running the wires we already attached to the switches (as well as the 5 individual wires still to install) to the various locations (fuse box, rock lights, windshield lights, rear bumper lights). You'll notice that's only 3 accessories, but I have 5 switches. One of the switches is for the super-secret-squirrel item and the last switch was put in just in case something else gets added later.

WFTW

Adventurer
Great to see you on here too, Jason! Looking forward to the Boulder Creek meet in May.

Boulder Creek should be an absolute blast! :D

Spent the day running wires...not fun, but necessary.

As mentioned in a previous post, the CB housing and switches were installed into the Tuffy overhead security console. The power and ground wires were then attached.

DSC_0004-3.jpg

The CB housing was mounted to the top panel of the box so the screws used to mount it would not be visible from the bottom.

DSC_0007-2.jpg

The CB mount was attached to the left side.

DSC_0006-3.jpg

Here's where the wires come from under the hood and into the interior of the Jeep.

DSC_0016.jpg

The wires were then run up the windshield frame, across the top, and into the back of the Tuffy overhead security console.

DSC_0017.jpg

To get the CB antenna wire to the antenna I ran it out of the rear of the Tuffy overhead security console, across the top of the windshield (under the plastic molding), and under the roll bar padding.

DSC_0018.jpg

I then ran the cord down the bottom of the Tuffy box, across to the hinged side of the tailgate, and then into the tailgate, coming out just under the antenna mount.

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

WFTW

Adventurer
Here's a shot of the Tuffy overhead console installed.

DSC_0023.jpg

And here's a shot of it with the switches on.

DSC_0022.jpg

From left to right:
Windshield mounted KC HiLiTERS
Rear bumper mounted KC HiLiTERS
Rock lights
Super Secret Squirrel Thing
Extra switch (for whatever I want to add later)

In addition to all that, I also ran a wire which is going to be needed for the trailer's electric brake controller (ran it with the rear bumper KC HiLiTES wires to the front of the vehicle).

Tomorrow will involve more wiring to finish everything up.

XXXpedition

Explorer
one thing i don't get is why jeep decided to mount the shock so low it almost scrapes the ground. this is rediculous - bothers me big time on mine. on my xj i raised it level with the axle, but here i cannot weld on the axle due to tech inspection (supposedly)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998