IM BACK!!! again....

toyrunner95

Explorer
OK so now I'm back to my question. I think I decided to save and get a proper complete system. However deciding on a kit is a delima. The toytec and ome are similarly priced. 11th and about 1200. Over all I have decided that I want to run 285/75/16. So I was thinking toytec because it's a bit adjustable. But I'm worried about the alignment issues. What would be a proper course of action?

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I don't think you can go wrong. The toytec has more adjustment which can combat the taco lean and adjust your lift so you can use the stock upper control arms, adjustment is a big plus in toytec. I think that OME is stronger and I like the KISS mentality. OME is not made by Monroe, the parts are manufactured by Tenneco who also manufactures parts for monroe, walker, dynomax, rancho, kinetic, and others.

To the OP, pick your poison. There are many options and the toytec sounds like a good one for you. :sombrero: You dont need a ton of lift to run the 285's but you need the correct wheel offset and potentially to cut your cab mount if you don't like the rubbing. If you lift it more than ~2.5" and can't get it in alignment you just need new upper control arms to give the front suspension the correct geometry to be able to align.

toyrunner95

Explorer
THANK YOU! that's what I needed to hear.

Now let's narrow it down a bit further. Should I get an economy kit with aal or should I get a full kit with new rear packs. I for see a decent load in the bed and on the roof. Probably at or above capacity.

GS1150

Observer
Lift question

I have a 13 DCSB with ARB bumper and m8000 winch. I started to get the OME kit with 886s but opted for the Bilstein 5100s. By piecing it out it was approx $60 cheaper. I went with an aal in the rear. If you measure the front and rear center of fender they are even, but just eyeing it seems to be just a bit lower than the front. After running this for a while I have realized that I should have just paid more up front for some Dakars or similar rear springs while the truck was on the lift. I can't keep them from squeaking!! Loaded with gear it does sag a little. Shoulda woulda...

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
We put AAL's on my brothers 2013 Tacoma. I put a touch of grease on the ends and they don't squeak.
I have a 13 DCSB with ARB bumper and m8000 winch. I started to get the OME kit with 886s but opted for the Bilstein 5100s. By piecing it out it was approx $60 cheaper. I went with an aal in the rear. If you measure the front and rear center of fender they are even, but just eyeing it seems to be just a bit lower than the front. After running this for a while I have realized that I should have just paid more up front for some Dakars or similar rear springs while the truck was on the lift. I can't keep them from squeaking!! Loaded with gear it does sag a little. Shoulda woulda...

red87

Adventurer
New leaf packs are always better than AALs but they cost more. The full pack will have better ride quality and flex than the AAL. The AALs are more likely to break than a whole new leaf pack too. I don't know that it's super common but something to keep in mind.

If it was my money? New leaf packs every time. I'd rather save a bit and spend the money to get the better solution. It's not like your suspension is worn out yet so you could wait a little to get what you really want.

toyrunner95

Explorer
So I talked to my mechanic and he recommended toytec over arb. 1. Same price for a better and more adjustable product. 2. Has had zero complaints with toytec and arb, though well designed, is hit or miss with the uca's. 3. Is a dealer for both so slightly cheaper and service available easily.

So now all I have to do is come up with the money. Maybe I'll hock my ex fiancé's engagement ring. Any body want a 1 karat diamond ring?

toyrunner95

Explorer
FINALLY!!! I have the funds to get my truck in the air. my mechanic can get me a Toytec Ultimate kit with tires for a flat 3k! so next week I'm going to order the kit. Then all i have to do is make the deck for the bed, and get a RTT and we are ready for the summer! 13 years and it will finally happen!

toyrunner95

Explorer
yep, when i bout that i knew i wanted something that was going to last, and be as functional as possible. so i went with the windoors with slides for the dog.

toyrunner95

Explorer
So Thursday I'm getting my suspension installed. And I have started to turn my attention to storage. I'M starting to compile a kitchen list. I have a couple outback drawers that I have dedicated one side strictly to kitchen stuff. The table is going to be slid underneath the draws in a big pocket. The stove will go in the drawer along with the propane and untnsils. Some dry goods will fit in the back. Of the drawer along with sink tubs.

Does anyone have any suggestions on utensils or equipment t or storage of them. Just looking for what the pros are doing.

toyrunner95

Explorer
I got my truck back today and man does it make a diffrence. It rides better, sits higher, and it even steers better. I'll post up pics tomorrow

toyrunner95

Explorer
20150206_112930.jpg

Well there she is! 3" higher and alot nicer to drive. Its handling is much more responsive. And the ride is alot nicer. It's nice to have some squishy Meats under my truck again.

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
View attachment 211833
2013 Tacoma double cab TRD off road package
OK so I have been doing a bunch of reading about modifications for this truck. I want to keep it simple and reliable so the mod list is short. but I do have a few questions that I need straight answers to.

1. An Arb deluxe bull bar, I have always wanted one and with my tax return I think I can finally get one. I have read that modifications need to be done to the stock front bumper in order to fill the gab between the grille and Arb. Is this true?

2. What winches will fit in the Arb? I'm looking at getting a 9.5 xd. Or something of that sort.

3. I want to do an old man emu 2.5" lift to improve ride quality and performance. Again nothing fancy. It is my daily driver so nothing too wild. I have read that the upper control arms are giving people alignment issues. What's the deal with that?

4. Interior issues. I have scoured the internet and found that the interiors vary a bit from model to model and I can't find a dcent place to put switches or a cb! I found an s pod that mounts in the sunglass holder above but I don't really want to tear down the headliner. I also don't want to drill and cut bunch of new holes in the dash. As for a cb I might go with a cobra all in the mic unit to save space and hole drilling.

Anyway those are my issues. Answers would be awesome. Thanks guys.

I have an ARB on my 2010 TRD 4x4 and love it. I have an M80000 from Warn. Make sure you can seperate the winch control box from the winch to get it to fit in the ARB. I think the M8000 is going to be enough, but if not it will go on CL and I'll start looking for something bigger.

I too went with OME for the lift. I got the 886 springs in the front (heavy) and Dakar leaf pack. Before I bought the OME kit I put a set of Bilstien 5100s on the back. As soon as you can, get UCAs from ICON or Camburg, or similar. Pro Comp was having fitment issues with theirs when I bought mine from 4 wheel parts, and ended up having to get the ICONs anyway. 4Wheel Parts traided them at only $13.00 more. The ICON UCAs fix the geometry and it rides much better than the stock UCAs because of the lift.

I have an sPod in my truck, and there is a video on youtube that shows step by step on how to install it in the sunglass holder. No pulling the headliner down, although you do have to pull it out of the way and it pratically falls out of the way anyhow, and it is real easy. The hardest part was getting the wires through the rubber boot with the other factory wires. I ended up CAREFULLY cutting the rubber boot and shoving the wire loom through. It is real easy, and looks great.

I just got mine paid off... great feeling!

PM me if you want more info.

Rick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears