JK Unlimited Expedition Build

County98

Agreed. Turned out awesome. Very interested in the stuff you had installed at adventure trailers, have to look into that.

moto-treks

On the road
Very Very cool rig.

Thanks

Agreed. Turned out awesome. Very interested in the stuff you had installed at adventure trailers, have to look into that.

Their kit isn't cheap but it's well thought out and top quality. For example, keeping the passenger seat that's behind the driver seat for "guides". I had thought of removing both rear seats until I remembered some counties require guides and therefore a place to sit.

moto-treks

On the road
Stage II sits right behind the front passenger seat and in front of stage 1 and requires the removal of the 3/4ths rear seat.

i-95FVMj5-L.jpg

Stage 1 and Stage II make a flat platform from the tailgate to behind the front passenger seat that one can sleep on if desired.

By itself it is another storage area with 3 compartments. There is a narrow storage compartment closest to the door followed by a larger one

i-HqWXNpZ-L.jpg

The larger compartment has a false bottom that provides separation for a top and bottom storage area

i-PNQvtgq-L.jpg

Or, you have the option of a 11 gallon water container under the false bottom, a water pump and a 1.6 gallon 12 volt hot water heater as yet another option. I went for the heated water setup so that I can pull into camp, connect the shower head and rinse off. The heater is well insulated and I've found that the water is still hot in the morning if needed.

Last edited:

moto-treks

On the road
Next order of business is to figure out how to get this

i-5vtTm9h-L.jpg

into this

i-XgdMkrn-L.jpg

Looks like I have to remove about 2" from the stove

i-GvmkDTW-L.jpg

The drawer was made to hold a Partner stove but I'd like to keep away from propane. Anyone ever disassembled a Colman stove?

Last edited:

moto-treks

On the road
Purchased. It's the fridge/drawer combo from AT. I have a ARB fridge slide (no drawer) but decided a drawer would be a good option. Now I'm thinking about getting my stove to fit into the drawer.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
We are use to traveling by motorcycle so I sure hope I don't fill the back up with gear ;)

Now, putting it back in all muddy will really suck. On my old CJ I keep a HiLift on the front bumper which had its disadvantages too.

I keep mine in a similar spot in my LJ. If it gets funky Use the blowgun attachment with your OBA and to clean it off... lol ;)

dstock

Explorer
I see you have your RTT tent mounted with the ladder towards the rear. I'm assuming there is enough clearance to open the rear hatch glass even with the tent deployed? Considering a RTT and trying to figure whether to go rear or side entrance.

Thanks.

moto-treks

On the road
I see you have your RTT tent mounted with the ladder towards the rear. I'm assuming there is enough clearance to open the rear hatch glass even with the tent deployed? Considering a RTT and trying to figure whether to go rear or side entrance.

Thanks.

Yes, the rear hatch glass opens without a problem. I can and do close the rear of the Jeep at night or if I plan on leaving the Jeep unattended. I have had to move the ladder back to open the read door a few times. It sort of depends where I've parked and how far I have the ladder angled to support the tent. When I do move the ladder its a simple one handed maneuver.

I don't have the tent mounted during the winter but here is the best picture I have of the rear area.

i-r6Dqgsk-L.jpg

The tent is open with the annex attached, both the window and tailgate are open. I can use the tailgate shelf but it gets a little tight with the cutting board next to the ladder.

Since I've finished adding the rear drawer and fridge slide I've though about moving the tent to the open on the side. But, I really like the extra shelter the tent provides over the rear as well as the narrower footprint the whole setup takes.

Last edited:

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Yes, the rear hatch glass opens without a problem. I can and do close the rear of the Jeep at night or if I plan on leaving the Jeep unattended. I have had to move the ladder back to open the read door a few times. It sort of depends where I've parked and how far I have the ladder angled to support the tent. When I do move the ladder its a simple one handed maneuver.

I don't have the tent mounted during the winter but here is the best picture I have of the rear area.

rttladder.jpg

The tent is open with the annex attached, both the window and tailgate are open. I can use the tailgate shelf but it gets a little tight with the cutting board next to the ladder.

Since I've finished adding the rear drawer and fridge slide I've though about moving the tent to the open on the side. But, I really like the extra shelter the tent provides over the rear as well as the narrower footprint the whole setup takes.

Just get a rear awning. With sides if you need the extra shelter. Works great on my LJ. I've never been so restricted by geography that the tent opening to the side was a hindrance.

dstock

Explorer

I don’t have the tent mounted during the winter but here is the best picture I have of the rear area.

Since I’ve finished adding the rear drawer and fridge slide I’ve though about moving the tent to the open on the side. But, I really like the extra shelter the tent provides over the rear as well as the narrower footprint the whole setup takes.

Very cool, thanks for the pics. So here's another question if I may. How do you go about getting the RTT mounted and unmounted? How long does it take you? I park in a 7ft garage at work and there isn't any other option for parking so it's going to be a mount the RTT when needed and off when we return.

I'm looking at a CVT that is about 120lbs so I imagine I would have to get a couple of buddies to help me heave it up there but wondering if there is a better way like building a stand to tilt the Gobi back on to and then mounting it that way.

I'm probably way over thinking it but curious what your method is...

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998