JK Unlimited Expedition Build

moto-treks

On the road
Just get a rear awning. With sides if you need the extra shelter. Works great on my LJ. I've never been so restricted by geography that the tent opening to the side was a hindrance.

I've thought about that. Eezi-Awn also makes the Bat 270 awning that would solve that problem

Bat-1.jpg

I'm going to leave the RTT mounted off the back for now and see how I like it. However, if I can figure out how to get that Colman stove into that drawer I may change my mind as that puts my kitchen in the back of the JK. I have mixed feelings about that too as I've enjoyed being able to move the kitchen away from the Jeep, especially when I burn my dinner :sombrero:

moto-treks

On the road
How do you go about getting the RTT mounted and unmounted? How long does it take you?

I picked up an overhead garage storage lift and modified it to hold the RTT.

i-jR2HvWm-L.jpg

It takes me about 20 minutes to unload and 40 to load when I do it my myself. That can be speed up a bit if I have someone help guide me under the lift and turn some nuts. Loading this year should be quicker as I've marked the rack as to where to place the RTT and I left the center support bar connected to the RTT which will help with positioning too. I have thought about just leaving the tent mounted to the Gobi and remove both the rack and tent and set them on the floor - maybe I'll try that next winter.

Gobi says not to tilt the rack back with a load on it. I'm guessing that's because it would put too much stress on the rear rods. I guess if you had enough people to support the tent you would be ok. The first time I mounted the tent I had my son help me lift the tent onto the Gobi. I'm just under 6 feet tall and he is about 6' 6" so it wasn't that difficult.

I went with the lift as he's not always around and I wanted to be able to mount and unmount alone. The garage lift really makes it pretty easy. It also stores the tent out of the way.

Last edited:

dstock

Explorer
Thanks for the info. I do have a lift in the garage but it's a 7ft entrance there too so that's out for the RTT, works great for the gobi and hardtop though.

Sounds like we'll have to just muscle it up there, and the time to get it on and off is very reasonable, appreciate all the info!

sstan

Very cool, thanks for the pics. So here's another question if I may. How do you go about getting the RTT mounted and unmounted? How long does it take you? I park in a 7ft garage at work and there isn't any other option for parking so it's going to be a mount the RTT when needed and off when we return.

I'm looking at a CVT that is about 120lbs so I imagine I would have to get a couple of buddies to help me heave it up there but wondering if there is a better way like building a stand to tilt the Gobi back on to and then mounting it that way.

I'm probably way over thinking it but curious what your method is...

Thanks.

I have the same 7' limitation with my garage door. I use a couple of long 2x6's to build a slide and can load and unload my tent alone in the driveway.

dstock

Explorer
I have the same 7' limitation with my garage door. I use a couple of long 2x6's to build a slide and can load and unload my tent alone in the driveway.

Awesome, I was actually thinking about something like that last night! Would be great to see pics if you have any or if you could snap a couple next time you load up.
Thanks for the info.

moto-treks

On the road
First trip in 2014

Just finished getting the JK all setup for the summer. Took a quick trip to Montana to enjoy some camping and hot springs

Ready for breakfast

Guess I need to get motivated and finish up a few mods I've been waiting to do ...

Last edited:

moto-treks

On the road
Finishing up some mods

Finally got around to finishing some modifications. First up was repositioning my dual battery monitor. Back when I installed the dual batteries it I just stuck the monitor in the glovebox.

dualbatcntl.jpg

That proved to be a PIA anytime I wanted to check the status. Now I'm trying the sun visor.

i-tk8QX2S-L.jpg

It's easier to access and still somewhat out of the way.

Next up was bolting the Alu-Boxes to the rack. I picked these up back in December. The first time I used them I just strapped them down but the plan had always been to bolt them to the rack.

I'm not sure why but the wind noise is quieter up there without the straps - looks cleaner too :)

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
These would have been good for mounting your aluminum boxes.

How much space is there between your tailgate table and drawer with the tailgate closed? I've wondered if you could store a store there instead of in a drawer where it eats up space.

moto-treks

On the road
These would have been good for mounting your aluminum boxes.

How much space is there between your tailgate table and drawer with the tailgate closed? I've wondered if you could store a store there instead of in a drawer where it eats up space.

There is only about an inch on either side of the tailgate table. If one wanted, you could put the stove in the "stove drawer" which is under the frig.

i-GvmkDTW-L.jpg

I prefer to kept the stove above on the rear cargo rack and use the stove drawer for small kitchen items. I've not really had any problem with running out of storage space. With most of our trips, the drawers are about half full. With the addition of the Alu-Boxes, rarely used items, or seasonally used things like heavy jackets or beach clothes, will go up top which should reduce the interior clutter. :sombrero:

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: My suggestion for the RACOR Hoist use, for your RTT-

Mount the RTT "UNDER" the RACOR platform, using 2 or 3 "Ratchet Straps"--

Then you can store light stuff on top and you can just drop the RTT onto your JKU and it would take 5 minutes--

005.jpg

001.jpg

023.jpg

Different uses for my RACOR-

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
I didn't see any pics of how you mounted them to the GOBI insert? I'm assuming you have the insert?

My GOBI rack should have shipped last week and I was wondering how the boxes would fit when I bolt the down...

Thanks.

moto-treks

On the road
I do have the sun roof insert. It's a little overkill if all you plan on doing is mounting some boxes. After figuring out which size fit up there it was not much more than drilling the holes. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and fill in the details.

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
Cool build, just read through the whole thing :) Nice setup of your rig, and I LOVE the picture out your RTT into the ocean. Gorgeous...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online