JK130 | Custom TDI Diesel Parallel Hybrid Jeep Wrangler with composite camper build.

straypoet

Please keep posting the updates, I'm following along and can't wait to see more photos and videos of this thing in action.
You're building the Jeep that many of us have dreamed of for many years!
-Dan

Thank you Dan, I appreciate the encouragement. Big projects tend to have their ups and downs, but I feel like I am making progress, even if slower than anticipated. I have a video mostly put together of my progress over the last month and a half, I hope to upload it soon.

This coming weekend will be a long one, so I have 4 days to work on the project. Bought some stuff ahead, so I will certainly have things to work on.

If all goes well, I hope to have that engine running in the frame soon. :) Again thanks for the encouragement!

straypoet

Bought a set of front Aluminum fenders for the project.
71fAL16QGML._AC_SX522_.jpg

$400 after tax. I bought aluminum to save as much weight as possible.

I am thinking about getting the RIVAL front and rear aluminum bumpers also, which will save some weight.
Hoping to see them on sale sometime soon.

Yes I could have made these, but the time saved by just buying a bolt-on is worth it since I am 8 months or so behind on the project.

I am looking at fuel cells now, need to figure out if I have enough room to mount them behind the rear axle after the frame extension to get to my final chassis length.

If not, then I may need to fabricate the tanks, as I would have to use slim longer tanks in front of the rear axle and on each side of the driveshaft.
One way or the other I am determined to have dual tanks, with a minimum of 40 gallons capacity, though I would love to get 50 gallons in there.

I cut an access hatch into the firewall so I can reach my tandem pump and rear coolant piping. I am making a steel cover for the access hole to preserve the integrity of the firewall.

After tallying up costs so far; my conversion costs have crossed $10k ($10255 at the moment) (not including the $2k for ordered, but not yet delivered coil overs) since I don't think I am half way done... Looks like I will end up overbudget.

straypoet

Charge pipes done, working on the diamond plate accessory shelves.

I need to fit on the passenger side:
Espar Diesel Hydronic heater
Intake Air box, and ducting to draw cold air from outside the engine compartment.
Coolant overflow tank
Maybe 12v battery (haven't decided if I will exclusively use the house lithium batteries)
isolated Turbo oil pump, oil tank, and cooler (future)

On the drivers side:
EPAS pump and hydraulic fluid tank
Brake proportioning valves
Remote oil filter
Oil pre-lube reservoir tank and valves (future)
Oil cooler (unless I put under the radiator)
Wiper fluid tank

On the firewall:
fuel filter
dual tank switching valves (unless I put these near the rear tanks)
Fuel pump (unless near the rear tanks)
vacuum booster tank

Not much room, it's going to be tight.

ECM, fuses and body control system will be under the passenger side dash, so that saves me a bit of space.

tempImageYNhCWP.jpg

straypoet

Ordered a bunch of stuff needed.

-10AN hoses and fittings for the remote filter.
radiator hoses
coolant reservoir
power steering fluid reservoir
bunch of misc. little parts needed like clamps and some rivet nut inserts

Also got a new 12v fridge for the center console. I already had one, but since I am trying to speed up the project, my plans to take the small fridge that I already had and build it into a new housing will have to wait for a different day.
So I got this small one which will be just right to drop into the console area. I had a very similar setup in this jeep last time, and love having a center console fridge.

41dvfVxexIL._SS142_.jpg
So yes there will be 2 fridge/freezers in the project, but worth it to me.

$400 total for all.

Back to the project.

straypoet

JK130 Part 11 TDI Swap Into Jeep Wrangler Expedition Vehicle Work on Exhaust, Seats, Wiring, Battery

JK130 Part #12 ENGINE RUNNING!! Seat work, and new battery

Quick update, and I will do a more detailed summary update soon.

I uploaded the August and September videos to YouTube, links above.

I still have my October video to do, and am working on the November one.
This is starting to be a real vehicle again, and I am getting close to being able to start on the sleeping cab.

Feels great to have the engine running, and am able to actually move it under its own power again.

also... What the hell? I just learned that the 3.0 eco diesel is being discontinued in the new JLs After waiting for years for a diesel to be a factory option, now they are discontinued again? sheesh... seems crazy that the option for diesel existed for about the same amount of time I have been building this vehicle... and now it no longer exists.

Last edited:

straypoet

I uploaded the next video.

JK130 Part 13, New Bumper, N75 Valve, Wiring Seats bolted Down

I have bought both bumpers. They are made by RIVAL, and are very nice... Though way too expensive. $1900 for the pair
Bought airbox $100, Seat Platforms $150, Battery $300, Wiring, and disconnect Switch, terminal boxes etc. $100
Also bought an EPAS pump from a Volvo $100 for the power steering conversion.
About $2,650 in the last few weeks. Ouch.

Mules

View attachment 651271

Now that my wheelbase is fully decided and the frame extension is welded in place, I did another scale mock-up, this time with the 125" wheel base.
The camper still seems large, but I just can't seem to find any-other way to get the 122" I need for the solar, so this is where I am headed.

The AC that I intend to build will go in-between the cab, and the camper box. (The angled area on top)
At least that is what I currently intend. We will see. I may change this if weight on-top becomes an issue. ( really don't want this to be top-heavy, and I will have 130ish lbs of solar panels up there.)
I am looking forward to seeing this built! It's very inspiring to see a frame off build like this. I considered it, but decided to keep my Gladiator stock and just add a DIY shell. Keep it up, I look forward to watching your progress.

IMG_7015.JPG

straypoet

I am looking forward to seeing this built! It's very inspiring to see a frame off build like this. I considered it, but decided to keep my Gladiator stock and just add a DIY shell. Keep it up, I look forward to watching your progress.

Thank you! I do like your camper top conversion. It looks really good the way you have it designed to match the rest of the vehicle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan