Lewis and Clark, et. al - 2 months and 8,000 miles in a FJ40.

Barriga

Dude, really? if i wasnt a noob to this forum id be pissed! 15 months, rage! anyway, youre gold right now, carry on...

tglaser

Observer
I know a lot of you reading this either live in California or have had an opportunity to have traveled there, so you've seen it. You know how amazing the landscape becomes right outside of the city. The concept blew my mind. I mean you drive 5 straight hours of bumper to bumper, six lane highways (not cool in a FJ40) honking and shouting, and then are shot out into a maze of Nat'l and State lands that continue all the way to Canada basically. I don't know if it's because I'm from Texas where approx 90% of the land is privately owned, but the idea of setting aside huge tracts of land for responsible public enjoyment sure seemed to sit right with me. For the folks who have not had the opportunity to travel this area, I highly suggest that you do.

I found myself in the Topanga State Park, continued through Malibu Creek, Zuma/ Trancas Canyons, Point Mugu and Boney Mountain Wilderness Area. All great spots with tons of camping, hiking and most anything else you can think of. I hopped around Oxnard, filled up on groceries and headed north to the very quaint, but very cool town of Ojai, the gateway to another hundred miles of Nat'l Forest lands. The Los Padres area was so beautiful, so open and so rugged that I considered not going any further. A person could certainly get his fill just in that one park. Granted it does stretch from Ventura to Big Sur, but I found an area called Pine Mountain, climbed to the top and sat for an hour taking it all in. There was the Pacific Ocean covered by with a heavy layer of big, white clouds on one side and the lush, green San Fernando Valley on the other. The views were incredible. Proof down below.

While hiking around I ran into a couple natives and they asked where I was headed. At that point all I knew was North to San Francisco to pick up my girl who was catching a plane there in about a week. They drew a crude map to a set of hot springs tucked into the hills right behind Santa Barbara and said that'd be a good place to rest my bones for a couple of nights.

Here are a few photos from that part of the trip.

IMG_0502.JPGIMG_0503.JPGIMG_0518_.jpgIMG_0520.JPGIMG_0528.JPGIMG_0535.JPGIMG_0537.JPGIMG_0566.JPGIMG_0576.JPGIMG_0580.JPG

tglaser

Observer
Was out in your neck of the woods a couple weeks ago on my motorcycle. Love the ride out through Blanco and that area.
Maybe I'll see you one of these days. It would be nice to say hello and check out your rig.
Definitely looking forward to reading the rest of your story. It's been a long time coming.

Long time coming, indeed. Hope to get it out in the next week or so.

And man, anytime. It'd be great to visit and have a beer or three. Send me a message next time you're feeling frisky, amigo.

thefiringline

Sounds like those people sent you to Big Caliente Hot Springs. Loving the pictures from Big Pine, too. You certainly can't get a better view of the vast southern expanse of Los Padres National Forest. I lived in the area for a short time and couldn't get enough of the fact that 15 mins of driving from my house would bring me up and over the mountains into relative solitude.

Also, about this...
IMG_0050.JPG
The Mex. 1 toll road is definitely the better way to go, but you bypass the road that goes to the top of the statue that way. On a good clear day, the view is amazing. It's kind of a long detour if you are on your way further south though because you have to travel for a good distance or turn around to get back on the toll road again. I went down there to surf last summer, caught K38 really good, and made it up to the statue to take some pics.
329604_10150277623706315_634511314_8156682_2075028395_o.jpg

324824_10150277624071315_634511314_8156684_1345730416_o.jpg

broper10

Great report, can't wait to hear more.

I just found your thread today and am glad you are back to writing! I drove a 69 JF40 through high school and half way through college. My dad has a 72 now. My wife drove a 71 her grandpa bough new and is still in my father-in-law's garage. Your long distance adventure in your 40 is great, but it raises a few questions for me:

Was the engine original or did you have some work done on it before you left?
What suspension and tire size do you have? It appears to be lifted a bit with 33" x 10.5"? It looks great.
Do you have an estimate on how fast you drove on average? My cruiser and the other two I get to drive are at home at 45-50 but much more and it is pretty loud. Just curious :)

Keep up the writing and pictures. I can't wait to see more of your cruiser in action!

MTN DAWG

I hope all is well, subscribed a while back and just checking back because I have been away for a bit.

More please, sir?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears