My GX470

DanKunz

Adventurer
Thanks, and I agree. I am going to plasti-dip my wheels for sure. If I really like it I might PC, but I doubt it since I use it.

Montana Cruiser

Adventurer
That would workout perfect, unfortunately, I believe only 07+ GX's had the Aux input, my 06' has aux 12V outlet in the spot the Aux is on the 07's. If someone knows otherwise, please let me know.

This is what I use in the FJC & the GX to get BT audio from my iPhone to the vehicle. Just plugs into the Aux input and allows me high-cap charging too. Audio is perfect and the car does decent BT now.
http://amzn.to/10psjpx

View attachment 162971

DanKunz

Adventurer
GROM would work for you Montana. I have the one I installed in mine, could make you a good deal vs. full retail.

Does need a little installation work, but gives you BT for phone and music, as well as a USB in.

Montana Cruiser

Adventurer
Dan, that would be great, we should talk, maybe I can rope your brother into helping me install :) What are you running now?

GROM would work for you Montana. I have the one I installed in mine, could make you a good deal vs. full retail.

Does need a little installation work, but gives you BT for phone and music, as well as a USB in.

DanKunz

Adventurer
I have an Alpine head unit, amp, JL Audio speakers, ipad mount, USB integrated to charge, etc.

I went a completely different way :)

DanKunz

Adventurer
www.sugru.com is magical. I used it for the ipad mount. Putty that cures to heat proof silicone and sticks to almost anything. Mentioned it in another post so I figured I should update this one as well.

boo471

Adventurer
I feel like BonnerBB...boo471 passed me on views here. I WAS FIRST (kinda) :p

Lol you need to pick up the pace on your modifications :)

How's that GX meet coming along. I know I saw a thread about that somewhere. We should start to plan for that. Maybe closer to spring/summer we could all meet up some place. Like Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanKunz

Adventurer
I would love to do that. I am waiting for a few things on the home front to end. I am planning a family thing (my brother has a built GX and my sister has a built LX470) in Moab next year. If that falls through I would be up for a GX meet. I am not too much into big events, but a small convoy doing something fun sounds good.

My mods are done for now. I have everything I ever wanted on the truck until the funds add up for my full axle swap...and then replenish again for a diesel swap :)

boo471

Adventurer
I would love to do that. I am waiting for a few things on the home front to end. I am planning a family thing (my brother has a built GX and my sister has a built LX470) in Moab next year. If that falls through I would be up for a GX meet. I am not too much into big events, but a small convoy doing something fun sounds good.

My mods are done for now. I have everything I ever wanted on the truck until the funds add up for my full axle swap...and then replenish again for a diesel swap :)

I'm the same. A small meet up with GX owners would be fun.

Diesel swap is something that I would like to do as well. In Europe you can get a 4.8l v8 diesel for the lc200. That should be able to fit in ours. It's pricey but it's a darn good and strong engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanKunz

Adventurer
I am planning on a stock for my year 1KD-FTV turbo diesel (2003). A 3L 4 cylinder has a nice balance with torque and fuel economy and I can swap it to a stock setup in terms of fit and wiring with a lot less work, and honestly, with the gearing and tire size I will be okay with what it can do. 260 ft/lbs at 2000 rpm sounds just right.

jkilcullen

Living the Dream
I am planning on a stock for my year 1KD-FTV turbo diesel (2003). A 3L 4 cylinder has a nice balance with torque and fuel economy and I can swap it to a stock setup in terms of fit and wiring with a lot less work, and honestly, with the gearing and tire size I will be okay with what it can do. 260 ft/lbs at 2000 rpm sounds just right.

new to exportal but not to toyotas or wheeling, Just read your thread beginning to end. NICE RIG! and kuddos for setting out to do it without any real aftermarket support. I know this thread is pretty old but did you ever do the enigine swap? if so any info or a separate thread? if not any reason you found it couldnt be done?

Next question is you mentioning having owned multiple LC's 80's, and a 100. Currently I'm in an 80 on 35's and I love wheeling it. I also love driving it but its aging and as a Real Estate agent I try to never take clients in it as the amount of wheeling I've done shows. So I drive my GS instead but then the fiance is stuck in the LX and its in need of so much overdue PM I'm uncomfortable with her and my daughter in it without me for more than an hour drive. Sooooo I'm thinking of starting over. Considering another 80 that someone else has dumped tons of time and money into to be built and restored to like new. A 100, a GX or an FJ (the wifey loves the look) the question for you is how does the GX wheel vs the 100 or 80 or both. Assuming you wheeled both. Also I pretty much need 35's for what I do. How many supporting mods other than lift and arms (ie drivetrain) are required to keep reliability high?

Next and final question How annoying is the swing gate? That has been my hangup for the GX since I first noticed one. I LOVE the rear land cruiser split tailgate as it is a perfect place to sit, make lunch, layout tools etc....

The reason I'm considering the GX over a 100 or 80 is for its lighter curb weight and likely better performance and fuel consumption. Are there any other specifics that make you like it over the US LC platforms?

Thanks in advance hoping you see this post :)

jkilcullen

Living the Dream
PS I wheel harder than I should and require a comfortable ride there for the family in order to get them to come with ;) the 80 has never let me down and I feel as though I'm cheating on her even considering this but the bottom line is I can't find the time to do all the work she needs.

DanKunz

Adventurer
new to exportal but not to toyotas or wheeling, Just read your thread beginning to end. NICE RIG! and kuddos for setting out to do it without any real aftermarket support. I know this thread is pretty old but did you ever do the enigine swap? if so any info or a separate thread? if not any reason you found it couldnt be done?

Next question is you mentioning having owned multiple LC's 80's, and a 100. Currently I'm in an 80 on 35's and I love wheeling it. I also love driving it but its aging and as a Real Estate agent I try to never take clients in it as the amount of wheeling I've done shows. So I drive my GS instead but then the fiance is stuck in the LX and its in need of so much overdue PM I'm uncomfortable with her and my daughter in it without me for more than an hour drive. Sooooo I'm thinking of starting over. Considering another 80 that someone else has dumped tons of time and money into to be built and restored to like new. A 100, a GX or an FJ (the wifey loves the look) the question for you is how does the GX wheel vs the 100 or 80 or both. Assuming you wheeled both. Also I pretty much need 35's for what I do. How many supporting mods other than lift and arms (ie drivetrain) are required to keep reliability high?

Next and final question How annoying is the swing gate? That has been my hangup for the GX since I first noticed one. I LOVE the rear land cruiser split tailgate as it is a perfect place to sit, make lunch, layout tools etc....

The reason I'm considering the GX over a 100 or 80 is for its lighter curb weight and likely better performance and fuel consumption. Are there any other specifics that make you like it over the US LC platforms?

Thanks in advance hoping you see this post :)

I think this answers your questions: The swing gate isnt really a problem. As to the 80 debate. I have this too:

CadoTop09 011.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior