My GX470

Riflman

Observer
I would advise against the plasti-dip for anything short of mall duty. You'll just wind up rubbing it off even in soft dirt or mud.

LOL.

I was just watching youtube videos on plasti-dipping the wheels. Seems like people like it on the emblems and grills and such, and even paint over it, so they can peel it off after, but many people are experiencing problems with it eating clear coat and having areas of haze after removing from paint. On wheels, it seems everyone is having problems with the wheels. Washing them with a pressure washer = peeling, cleaning brake dust equals = peeling, litle nicks, chips, mud, etc. = peeling. They look like crap in no time.

I spoke with a wheel refinisher and they wanted $150/tire to powder coat the factory ones. I can get Methods for $180 and XD Monsters and addicts for just over $200, plus with a wider rim and -12 offset, I can run 33x12.5's without changing the UCA's. So it's kind of a no brainer to just get wheels.

Riflman

Observer
I think this is because they remove the wheels, remove the tires, powder coat, then replace the tires, balance and install the wheels. I'll be getting new tires, so I should be able to save a bit if I pull the wheels off myself, and get the tires off at the tire shop, but then I have a vehicle on blocks, have to get the tires to the shop to be removed and transport both to and from the PC shop. Huge PITA at the end of the day. Plus, I can sell my rims with almost new radial tires on them, or keep them in case I sell the truck and want to keep the wheels and tires.

DanKunz

Adventurer
My brother is plasti-dipping his whole GX matte black! I have access to a PC shop so I may go that way when I do the long travel swap next year.

DanKunz

Adventurer
Minor update. I did the whole stereo and ipad setup before I went to Moab and WOW...the factory stereo SUCKS compared to this thing!

Riflman

Observer
I don't mind the stereo in my 2005 with Nav and Mark Levinson system (whatever the hell that is), but I do wish I could get my iPhone audio hooked in. CD player is toast so all I have is FM radio. Blah.

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
I don't mind the stereo in my 2005 with Nav and Mark Levinson system (whatever the hell that is), but I do wish I could get my iPhone audio hooked in. CD player is toast so all I have is FM radio. Blah.

This is what I use in the FJC & the GX to get BT audio from my iPhone to the vehicle. Just plugs into the Aux input and allows me high-cap charging too. Audio is perfect and the car does decent BT now.
http://amzn.to/10psjpx

71QOvA4-GsL._SL1500_.jpg

Riflman

Observer
That looks pretty cool. I do have Bluetooth in my GX, so I can use my phone to make calls, but I can't sync my phonebook or use it for music. I wonder if something like that would interfere with the existing Bluetooth capability, or if that even matters?

Booosted Supra

Observer
I got to say, it is pretty neat to see a GX all done as I am a master tech for Lexus and work on them all the time. I have tried to envision them as an Expo rig and never really seen it but this truck looks really good. Virtually almost nothing goes wrong with these trucks except leaking radiators. The only reason I havn't picked one up from work and toyed around with it and put my old 4Runner to rest is, I drive a hybrid rock crawler/expo rig and the amount of fabrication work I would want to do to the body, removing parts, relocating, EVAP parts, etc etc etc would be too much for me to justify for a pre owned rig with a payment even if I were to get a deal on one. Atleast I can see into the future of what I will most likely build. Kudos for a different rig and a great looking truck.

DanKunz

Adventurer
Updated the iPad mount (and iPad) to a mini size. WOW, this is how iPads should have been from the start!! A few months in and I am LOVING this setup.

boo471

Adventurer
Plasti-dip

I would advise against the plasti-dip for anything short of mall duty. You'll just wind up rubbing it off even in soft dirt or mud. Judging by your well thought out build I'm guessing you plan on taking it down a few trails, and you also seam like the type of guy who likes things done right, the first time.

I'm to anal to do something that will scrape off that easy. I'd be the guy pulling over on the trail and pealing that junk off because one wheel got scratched haha. Not to mention the last couple of trips I went on nearly rubbed the paint off of my truck, much less plasti-dip!

I love the build by the way. Now go out and get it dirty!

LOL.

I was just watching youtube videos on plasti-dipping the wheels. Seems like people like it on the emblems and grills and such, and even paint over it, so they can peel it off after, but many people are experiencing problems with it eating clear coat and having areas of haze after removing from paint. On wheels, it seems everyone is having problems with the wheels. Washing them with a pressure washer = peeling, cleaning brake dust equals = peeling, litle nicks, chips, mud, etc. = peeling. They look like crap in no time.

I spoke with a wheel refinisher and they wanted $150/tire to powder coat the factory ones. I can get Methods for $180 and XD Monsters and addicts for just over $200, plus with a wider rim and -12 offset, I can run 33x12.5's without changing the UCA's. So it's kind of a no brainer to just get wheels.

I have Plasti-dipped my wheels and my hood/grill and pretty much everything that is chromed on my truck. The dip has been on the wheels since February with no chipping and i wheel every other weekend. And I have removed the dip on my hood once to check the condition of it. I noticed nothing in the clear coat at all. Just a nice clean, scratch free hood (compared to the not plast-dipped parts of my truck).

So it seems to stick pretty good if you follow the directions. And I never pressure wash any of my vehicles so I cant really say how it holds up to that. It probably wont since even some normal car paint/clear coat will handle pressure washers.

And to be honest Id rather spray some more plasti dip on a wheel to cover up a scratch compared to sand it down and re-powder coat it again. just my 2 cents.

I love your GX!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior