My GX470

woods247

Observer
Wouldn't it be great if they came with dimmer switches so they could be more useful as camp lights?? I mounted a 10" Rigid flood on the back and it's crazy bright, even with a red filter. Nice build man. Looking forward to checking it out at CFW.
Matt

DanKunz

Adventurer
Would take a different LED to allow it to dim. Not a bad idea (would be very cool).

I am going to try and find a wifi night vision camera with an ipad app and add night vision...have to figure out if such a thing exists.

woods247

Observer
Would take a different LED to allow it to dim. Not a bad idea (would be very cool).

I am going to try and find a wifi night vision camera with an ipad app and add night vision...have to figure out if such a thing exists.

THAT would be awesome! Please let us know what you find.

DanKunz

Adventurer
There are options for the camera, and the app, but nothing really specific to aftermarket night vision with ipad integration (just flip down LCDs).

Still hunting :)

DanKunz

Adventurer
Bumper is at the paint shop to be finished, then wiring and mounting. Can't wait! Should be done in the first few weeks of January at the latest.

DanKunz

Adventurer
Some pics (thanks ACC):

Notice the LED lights in the spare? (wired to backup lights and an aux switch for camping/tailgater use):
394837_542261165785700_195774905_n.jpg

No more bolts in the fenders!
423295_542261069119043_947957767_n.jpg

Now I totally need 35s *sigh*
282955_542261012452382_1305131722_n.jpg

293584_542260975785719_1099868021_n.jpg

rtaylor

Observer
Dan,

I've always liked the GX platform and I'm a big fan of your build. Keep up the great work. I hope we can get out on the trails soon.

How was your experience with ACC? Please PM me.

Thx
Ryan

tbonebrown

Dan,

First off, great build! I knew I would find someone out there that had done this and was kind enough to share, I know there are a few threads running around on these builds but enjoyed all the photos, updates, and referrals you provided, much appreciated!I was thinking of shooting you a PM but I thought someone else may benefit from this as well. I'm looking for your opinion (or others if they choose) and was hoping you would share your thoughts. I'm new to this arena but very excited and motivated to start my first build.

• You stated your past builds included many previous series of Toyota but you would not go back to any of them after this GX. Besides you being a "small giant", what other advantages do you see in this truck as opposed to the 100 series?
  • Are you able to PM me or disclose approximately how much this build has cost you?
  • Your thoughts....My original idea was to build this truck out due to it's size, weight, and engine as I thought it would be a perfect expedition vehicle with the ability to tow if need be. I went to the local 4x4 shop here in Colorado and they said it would cost too much to do due to custom work. "Go buy a 100 series and use bolt on parts as that would save you money and headaches" So when I read you comment on the GX build compared to the 100 series it made me think I may just tackle this project if the plus vs minus is worth it in the end result. You seem like you're done them all, what are your thoughts?

To give you an idea on my projected use....I plan to drive all over the Rocky Mtn West on trails, highways, etc, camping and exploring. I've already been beating my truck around in Moab UT and other areas but I definitely need something to get back further for a few days. I think you get the point.Any thoughts from anyone on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to the off road build (and the Rocky Mtns) but a diehard Toyota guy for many years.

Thanks,

Thomas

Last edited:

DanKunz

Adventurer
The GX is a really good platform. The buildout cost will be less for you now than I spent because of people like SouthernSS and other projects like that the parts are available and it's worth the effort. PM me and I can give you my cell and we can talk details if you like.

Riflman

Observer
Hey Dan. Who did your rear bumper? Also, do you have any pics of your truck with the powder coated wheels? I'm trying to decide if I want to powder coat or paint the stock ones or buy XD wheels. I'd rather save the money and put it towards other mods, but I'm hooked on the wheels.

Kole

Adventurer
ACC did the bumper. I haven't powder coated yet. Thinking I may plasti-dip instead.

I would advise against the plasti-dip for anything short of mall duty. You'll just wind up rubbing it off even in soft dirt or mud. Judging by your well thought out build I'm guessing you plan on taking it down a few trails, and you also seam like the type of guy who likes things done right, the first time.

I'm to anal to do something that will scrape off that easy. I'd be the guy pulling over on the trail and pealing that junk off because one wheel got scratched haha. Not to mention the last couple of trips I went on nearly rubbed the paint off of my truck, much less plasti-dip!

I love the build by the way. Now go out and get it dirty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12