Need some ideas for my new to me 2010 F-350

timsbroncs

I have been lurking for quite some time and just purchased my new to me rig. I got a 2010 F-350 4x4 crew cab diesel long bed. I got it with 15k on the clock. It was a great find. It has a AFE cold air intake and H&S programmer. I just ordered a 8" lift and 37" Toyo MTRs with Fuel 20" wheels. It is going to be my daily driver and used for camping and hunting.

Any and all ideas and experience that you have had with Superdutys would be greatly appreciated.

Tim in CO.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I would only suggest that an 8" lift is a bit much. Won't be very dd friendly. Have you thought about a camper shell/cap and storage/sleeping set up, or are you going to use it as a pick-up and haul gravel or lumber etc?

SilverBullet

Explorer
8" is HUGE! Might be a bit larger than you want, but if you don't intend to use it as a tow rig, you will have a beast for sure. For hunting, consider your lift to get the meat into the bed to heal out.

Clutch

<---Pass
Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I fit 37's(granted, A/T's) on my '11 w/ only a 2" leveling kit, but kept stock back spacing. And agree on the 17" wheels, which I did as well

kfgk14

Adventurer
You really ought to reconsider the lift...study/play with backspacing and trimming and you can probably get a 37" tire on with only a 3-4" lift. Unless you sink mucho money into the suspension, going with any more lift is gonna bring a wonky ride on the street and probably gain you little articulation over stock, making the increased ground clearance pretty non-functional for anything but fording water. Another thing, make sure you move relevant breather tube(s) as high up as possible in the face of water/mud. And definitely go for a smaller (16/17/18) rim. Shoot for narrower tires over wider tires too, the added width probably won't gain you very much performance, will slurp extra fuel, generate more road noise, and will force you to go for more lift.

With some aggressive trimming, you probably don't need a lift at all, but some people aren't really into the "trimmed" look. I personally love no lift+big tires. Deceptively small looking tires until you're up close, and of course it's fun to go off-road and wow people with the capabilities of your un-lifted truck. Rock sliders and skids will be important if you're not going for lift, of course...

I'm rambling now. Good luck with the truck, can't wait to see what you come up with.

Kaisen

Explorer
While I agree with others about the 8" lift, if you are running 37" Toyo MTRs then 20" wheels are just fine.

It's total BS that it will ride rough due to the shorter sidewall, or risk damaging the rim. They aren't thinking, just regurgitating ExPo pop fashion.

Think about it: a ~37" tire on a 20" wheel leaves 8.5" of sidewall from the rim to the ground.

The boneriffic 255/85-16 that ExPo'ers treat like the holy grail are ~33" with a 16" wheel leaving -- guess what -- 8.5" of sidewall from the rim to the ground.

My 2007 Super Duty Crew Diesel Harley Ed came from the factory with 275/65-20s....34.1" tall, 20" wheels, no lift.
A 37.1" tall tire is only 1.5" taller from the axle to the wheelwell. So a Super Duty with a 2-3" lift is more than enough to handle a 37" tire. Do a 4" if you're looking for more room for "flex" articulation. 8" is overkill.

Clutch

<---Pass
It's total BS that it will ride rough due to the shorter sidewall, or risk damaging the rim. They aren't thinking, just regurgitating ExPo pop fashion.

Ahh no, just about every trophy truck runs a 17" rim...there is a reason why no one is running 20's. Has nothing to do with regurgitating ExPo fashion.

More sidewall is a good thing, no need to be snarky about it.

jesse-jones-trophy-truck-mad-media-05.jpg

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
Ahh no, just about every trophy truck runs a 17" rim...there is a reason why no one is running 20's. Has nothing to do with regurgitating ExPo fashion.

We're not talking about Trophy Trucks with 30" of suspension travel trying to run washboards at 110mph, are we?

Kaisen

Explorer
You added a bit in your edit.

But no, more sidewall isn't always a good thing. It's a compromise based on what attributes you're prioritizing. Handling (and other dynamic attributes) suffers from higher sidewall proportions.

Clutch

<---Pass
You added a bit in your edit.

But no, more sidewall isn't always a good thing. It's a compromise based on what attributes you're prioritizing. Handling (and other dynamic attributes) suffers from higher sidewall proportions.

I wasn't done. girlfriend keeps interrupting me ;)

Why we see trophy trucks at a 150mph, jumping, & sliding around, blowing up tires all the time, right?

Sure, low profile tires on a street vehicle is fine, less deflection...but on a heavy truck, in the dirt...I'll take more side wall.

Now, running 42's...20's are fine.

legacy-power-wagon-conversion-sema.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior