Need some ideas for my new to me 2010 F-350

Kaisen

Explorer
Just an example, hey I like a little more sidewall...why is that a problem?

I understand that lots of ExPo contributors like a little more sidewall.

But this guy comes along saying he wants to run a 37" tire on 20"s and everyone treats him like he's a gansta from ATL donking a Caprice. The reality is that a 37/12.5R20 still has a similar proportion to the 95th percentile tires that ExPoers run on their "Overlander Prepared" Tacomas, Land Cruisers, and Jeeps.....where we all go "oooooh" and "aaaah". They just don't get it. It's the same overall proportions.

We agree on the 8inch lift though. I understand the OP likes it, but it isn't terribly functional in the real world, for his truck, tires, and application.

Kaisen

Explorer
I wasn't done.

Why we see trophy trucks at a 150mph blowing up tires all the time, right?

Do Trophy Trucks prioritize handling, yaw stability, lateral loads, braking on pavement? Nope

Also, the 37/12.50R17D BF Goodrich Baja T/As that 95% of all Trophy Trucks run are darn-near race tires and are *VERY* expensive ($872 each HERE)

Of course they are designed for 150mph desert runs. Yet a 255/85-16 is not. Agreed?

Clutch

<---Pass
I understand that lots of ExPo contributors like a little more sidewall.

But this guy comes along saying he wants to run a 37" tire on 20"s and everyone treats him like he's a gansta from ATL donking a Caprice. The reality is that a 37/12.5R20 still has a similar proportion to the 95th percentile tires that ExPoers run on their "Overlander Prepared" Tacomas, Land Cruisers, and Jeeps.....where we all go "oooooh" and "aaaah". They just don't get it. It's the same overall proportions.

We agree on the 8inch lift though. I understand the OP likes it, but it isn't terribly functional in the real world, for his truck, tires, and application.

I thought, I was very nice and polite to the OP. but you pulled my wordage to make me sound like an ********.

I think 7-8" lift 37's & 20's looks killer. But not something I would do if I would be in the dirt or towed often.

894.jpg

yeah, I am not your typical overlander.....I like 35's on Tacomas with lotsa travel. Skinny 33's and 8 inches of travel will rattle your fillings out. ;)

heck brotha, I do not overland...I car camp. :)

86000sdhq01.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Do Trophy Trucks prioritize handling, yaw stability, lateral loads, braking on pavement? Nope

Also, the 37/12.50R17D BF Goodrich Baja T/As that 95% of all Trophy Trucks run are darn-near race tires and are *VERY* expensive ($872 each HERE)

Of course they are designed for 150mph desert runs. Yet a 255/85-16 is not. Agreed?

yep agreed. not sure why you are slinging that size tire 255/85-16 at my general direction, I hate that size tire.

still like more sidewall on the street for a truck...have you seen Tucson streets? :D

man, I don't know how those Donk fellas do it...looks painful...

View attachment 170058

Kaisen

Explorer
Kermit, if you feel I aimed this at you I certainly didn't mean to single you out.....read the first page full of others

Anyway, a 2.5" leveling kit and 37/12.5R20 Toyo MTRs on 20X12" Throttle Fuels with 24mm offset would be awesome on a 2010 F350

*my opinion*

Kaisen

Explorer
For the rest of you, here's your truck:

attachment.php

(Those are dubs, btw.....oh, the blasphemy!)

Kaisen

Explorer
No offense, but if you guys are gonna sword fight, maybe don't clutter up someone else's thread with it?

Did you not learn anything about the original topic posted?

Kermit laid out his thoughts, I laid out mine. Both were relevant, and I'd like to think, insightful. Value added.

But "threads" are called such because, well....

SFROMAN

Adventurer
my f250 is an 07 model. it is the older body style. the wheel well openings are smaller than the new body style so you cant fit as big a tire on the truck with out a lift. I was able to fit 35 mud terrains on my stock 20 inch rims. that worked out great for me since i tow often. I had a bead pop off my tire once out at the beach so i decided to change to 17 rims with e rated toyo mud terrains. so far so good.

here is a picture of my truck at stock height with 35 tires on 20 stock rims

here is a more recent pic. sitting on 4.5 lift with 17 rims and 35s.

some of the things i have done to my truck are modifications that would improve the function of the truck.
1. I sound proofed my interior with sound deadening material. this quieted the interior from the diesel.
2. i added bigger pan on the auto trans in order to fit more oil capacity and therefor keep it running cooler which i hope will prolong the life of the trans.
3. added a pan to the rear diff. again did it to keep it cooler especially when i tow.
4. bead lock 17 inch hutchison wheels. the land cruisers and f350s i drive overseas for work have these and know they are reliable so ordered some for my truck.
5. e rated toyo mud terrains in a 35 inch tire. still want to be able to perform off road and tow at the same time.
6. ARB bumper. for protection. i crushed the stock bumper when i bumped into a pole so knew i had to change out the stock stuff.
7. i added the sylvania gold bulbs to replace the stock ones and to me they work great. slightly brighter.
8. ICON level 4 suspension system. i can hit 1 foot deep dips on the dirt roads around here at about 70 mph and just glide right over them.

near future plans are
replace stock fuel tank with titan fuel tank. stock location, stock sending unit and stock fuel gauge and the best part 20 additional gallons which equals to about 650 to 700 mile fuel range.
continue to improve lighting with LED technology.
rear bumper/ tire carrier
rack to carry the families paddle boards.

again, i love crew cab superduties because they are so versatile. my plan was just to improve the truck in order to suit my needs. i personally think that an 8 inch lift will take away from the functionality, and versatility

Kaisen

Explorer
^^ I had that exact same truck, same color ^^

No issues with it whatsoever in 104K miles. Was a great truck

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
They aren't thinking, just regurgitating ExPo pop fashion.

The boneriffic 255/85-16 that ExPo'ers treat like the holy grail

You made some good points in the rest of this post, but I feel have to remind you that you are choosing to spend a bunch of time on EXPEDITION PORTAL. You are here by choice, and while I have found some of your posts to be insightful, there is a bunch of negativity towards what the majority of contributors here have found to work over long periods of time. I'm kind of curious if you are maybe in the wrong place, or just like to stir the pot?

Oh, and the 70 series you posted a pic of? Awesome! But I'll take mine with 35-12.50R17s. I know that leaves 9"s of sidewall, but I can live with that.

Apologies to the OP for cluttering his thread.

Kaisen

Explorer
You made some good points in the rest of this post, but I feel have to remind you that you are choosing to spend a bunch of time on EXPEDITION PORTAL. You are here by choice, and while I have found some of your posts to be insightful, there is a bunch of negativity towards what the majority of contributors here have found to work over long periods of time. I'm kind of curious if you are maybe in the wrong place, or just like to stir the pot?

Oh, and the 70 series you posted a pic of? Awesome! But I'll take mine with 35-12.50R17s. I know that leaves 9"s of sidewall, but I can live with that.

Apologies to the OP for cluttering his thread.

I come here unfiltered.
It's very clear that there's a significant contingency of ExPo readers that follow the herd. I think you have to know WHY and HOW something works to know if it's the best choice for your application. Not just buy it because others have put it on their (dissimilar) truck that turned out cool. It happens here more than any other community I've been a part of. Seriously.

And, yes, 255/85-16 tires are a really good example of that. It's a fairly narrow criteria where they would be the best choice.

I'll tell you when something I state is opinion, experience, or fact. I typically provide the math, logic, engineering, or evidence to support my points.
It's easy enough, if you think I'm wrong, challenge me. Because you can bet I'll challenge something I see as bad advice.
I'm here to provide good advice in my areas of expertise, and seek out the expert advice of others. I'm not here because I care what anyone thinks of me.

Clutch

<---Pass
I come here unfiltered.
It's very clear that there's a significant contingency of ExPo readers that follow the herd. I think you have to know WHY and HOW something works to know if it's the best choice for your application. Not just buy it because others have put it on their (dissimilar) truck that turned out cool. It happens here more than any other community I've been a part of. Seriously.

And, yes, 255/85-16 tires are a really good example of that. It's a fairly narrow criteria where they would be the best choice.

I'll tell you when something I state is opinion, experience, or fact. I typically provide the math, logic, engineering, or evidence to support my points.
It's easy enough, if you think I'm wrong, challenge me. Because you can bet I'll challenge something I see as bad advice.
I'm here to provide good advice in my areas of expertise, and seek out the expert advice of others. I'm not here because I care what anyone thinks of me.

Sure some of the guys were a little hard on the OP, don't think anyone gave bad advice.

math, logic, engineering, or evidence doesn't always win, but a little common sense
will go a long way. I have been offroading loooong before this site was a twinkle in Scott's eye...and sure, I go more by feel rather than busting out
my calculator. But it is nice to see someone going against the EXPO grain, and putting it out there in black and white. You are teaching me
new stuff. :)

Not sure why you keep on bringing up the standard EXPO tire size of 255/85-16, I think you're assuming we all follow the herd. ;) Is it because I drive a Toyota? I have been driving Toyotas long before they became EXPO popular, long before the masses had cell phoness and internet access...when I bought my first one living in PA back in the 80's, I was ridiculed relentlessly. Coming off a '76 F250 with 36/12.50/16.5 tires.

Kermit, if you feel I aimed this at you I certainly didn't mean to single you out.....read the first page full of others

Sure did seem like it, thought I gave respectful polite advice to the OP.

It's total BS that it will ride rough due to the shorter sidewall, or risk damaging the rim. They aren't thinking, just regurgitating ExPo pop fashion.

You can fit 37's with a 4.5" lift.

If it is going to see a lot of dirt, wouldn't go any bigger than a 18" rim. 17" is a tad better. 20" rim
will have less side wall, which will ride a little rougher, plus have a greater chance of damaging the rim
in certain off-road conditions, like ruts, rocks and stumps. They'll still work, maybe not as well as 17 or 18" rim/tire combo.

Seems like you have it out for me for some reason. *shruggin' shoulders*

It is one thing to give counter advice, quite another being a jerk about it.

Last edited:

bfdiesel

Explorer
You can fit 37" tires stock if you have one of these.
sawzall.jpg

But in all seriousness 8" is functionally too much, unless you are just doing it for looks and are into that sort of thing you should rethink it. I am also not a fan of the 20" rims with anything less than a 40" tire, they look flatbill diesel ricer to me.

2010 Is still the 6.4 powerstroke you would be ahead deleteing the egr and dropping the particulate filter.

bftank

Explorer
i agree with kermit.

the majority feels the way that they do for a reason. there are sheeple on here but they are not the majority. state your opinion and leave it at that.

most of us use prerunners as an example of a solid way to buld our vehicles with the capacity to go a reasonable speed on rough roads. very few of us build to impress the folks at the local mall.

i didnt see any responses where the op was ripped a new one for 20s and 37s only warnings of the damage that can be incurred. if you want to more info from less of a "sheeple" crowd try asking about low profile offroad tires on pirate4x4 under general 4x4 discussion. make sure you have a blender and bleach at ready though. it will get ugly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior