New Tundra Release

SouthPawXJ

Observer
It seems to me that with all of Toyota's experience with diesels, they could come up with a moderately priced alternative power plants that get good MPGs and meet emissions requirements. There are other manufacturers without Toyota's resources doing it, so why can't a company bigger and more powerful do it.

I understand the economics argument, but if they did it, keeping in mind that others are surely to do it, and with a long-term goal of making diesels viable for more buyers at lower costs, those big initial investments will pay even bigger rewards--for manufacturers as well as for retail and fleet customers, and the environment.

Does Toyota lead the way in the US into new markets typically? Now, I don't have a thorough knowledge on the history of Toyota as a car company. However... The first hybrid vehicle in the US was a Honda (by a year). The first small pickup truck in the US was a Nissan. They don't seem to be pioneers more than they seem to be innovators. The Prius is the best selling hybrid because its better than everyone elses. The tacoma is the best selling "small" (it ain't small) pickup in the US because its better than every other "small" truck. Camry's sell because people consider them to be the best midsize car. The full-size truck market is different though. The trucks that are considered the best are from the US automakers, even if you think Toyota makes a somewhat superior product. Toyota needs to be the absolute best and obliterate the competition to make any headway in the full-size market. These kinds of refreshes aren't going to cut it.

They are smart enough to watch others travel down a path and see what happens to them. If the Grand Cherokee diesel and Ram diesel are successful here, maybe it will push them into reconsidering their position. Only time will tell whether Diesel can become a major player in the US market. The only risk Toyota has is being "too late to the party".

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Can't say I am shocked...with the "new" Tundra, is kinda what I expected.

The cod piece grills are getting really old...and yet they just keep on getting bigger and bigger, and bigger....soon the front end is going to be all grill.

The dash is looking like they stole it from Ford.
snip...

(snipped for efficiency) x2

Agree.

Copying Ford is the best they could do? That’s not the answer.

Yes, what I/we expected.

The larger and continuously bulging grilles are out-of-control, I'd like to see proportion come back into style.

Oh wait, 20" wheels are all the rage on trucks because they look good and are so functional...

Clutch

<---Pass
They are smart enough to watch others travel down a path and see what happens to them. If the Grand Cherokee diesel and Ram diesel are successful here, maybe it will push them into reconsidering their position. Only time will tell whether Diesel can become a major player in the US market. The only risk Toyota has is being "too late to the party".

I don't know if small diesels are going to be accepted by the general public, have a friend with a SRT Grand Cherokee, said he received a questionnaire from Jeep about diesels, sent the answer back, "Why would I want a diesel? They cost more and the fuel is more expensive." and that is coming from a guy owns one of the most expensive versions of GC.

redline said:
Oh wait, 20" wheels are all the rage on trucks because they look good and are so functional...

Funny.

SouthPawXJ

Observer
I don't know if small diesels are going to be accepted by the general public, have a friend with a SRT Grand Cherokee, said he received a questionnaire from Jeep about diesels, sent the answer back, "Why would I want a diesel? They cost more and the fuel is more expensive." and that is coming from a guy owns one of the most expensive versions of GC.
As a guy who owns a diesel, I really hope they become successful. That could lead to more diesel being produced at the refineries... although, the passenger car diesel market will still be quite a bit smaller than the semi-tractor market. Oh well... a man can dream.

I don't blame your friend for that. Good choice in ride too... the SRT Grand Cherokee is a pretty sweet machine.

REDROVER

Explorer
one thing that toyota is going backwards is there fuel consumption. tundra is getting like 12 mpg when stronger dodge ram or silverado or f150 is close to 20 mpg or over that

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
As a guy who owns a diesel, I really hope they become successful. That could lead to more diesel being produced at the refineries... although, the passenger car diesel market will still be quite a bit smaller than the semi-tractor market. Oh well... a man can dream.

I don't blame your friend for that. Good choice in ride too... the SRT Grand Cherokee is a pretty sweet machine.

Yeah, I don't know why Toyota doesn't toss a diesel in the Tundra or the Tacoma for that matter, as I linked earlier they are even doing a diesel-hybrid in the medium duty truck line Hino.

While me personally, isn't completely sold on hybrids, but it would push the mpg numbers waaay up.

Corbel

one thing that toyota is going backwards is there fuel consumption. tundra is getting like 12 mpg when stronger dodge ram or silverado or f150 is close to 20 mpg or over that

i don't know where you are getting these numbers, but all the 1/2 tons are roughly the same (within 1-2mpg) My 2010 Tundra gets 15 with a few mods, and its the same as my dads stock 2012 RAM1500.

As for the diesel idea, as much as theres a market for it on these online forums, i don't think the average uneducated consumer will see the benefits of a 4.6 turbo diesel in a Tundra. Especially when the price tag will push 70-80 grand (i'm in Canada). Those diesel LC's in Australia aren't cheap, and the gas LC200 is 75grand new in the US.

The current engine/drivetrain configurations has been the steadiest of the group, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Its a half ton truck with a very decent towing capacity. I'm happy with what i got for the use it was intended. Would i love an affordable diesel option, of course. Until they build a new plant and go after fleet sales Toyota won't be going diesel.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I read somewhere on the internet that direct injection was a sure thing. I guess I cant believe everything I read online?

lets look back at history for a moment- Toyota may have shown us the 2014 Tundra, but they still plan on selling the "old truck for a while longer. typically, they don't drop the next years product sheet until september-november. Would you snatch up a 2013 if they told you the 2014's are geting DI and a solid boost in power AND fuel econ?

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
If you're referring to the lack of SCR on the Mazdas, that's doubtful. Higher gross vehicle weight, different duty cycles, and bigger engines make that unrealistic for a 1/2 ton or larger truck. Therefore, I think you're spot on and I too would bet that expensive aftertreatment would be part of the diesel option package.

Dan

It will be interesting if anyone manages to meet Euro6 in the medium/large 4x4s in Europe without using SCR. I suppose you might be able to use an LNT if you can get close, but the material cost for that is ugly. Mazda definitely got one up on the competition if they really get to market without SCR. Even VW went with SCR on the Passat, and all the bigger Germans are, too. There must be something to that whole "really liw compression ratio". Toyota's AD engine does same of that, too, IIRC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears