Notice: Fuel can ban starting January

Scott Brady

Founder
This is important news for Overlanders.

Starting in January, fuel can manufacturers will no longer be able to sell new fuel cans in the US (nationwide) without complicated and failure-prone child safety locks on them. We have seen the affects of even the CARB compliant fillers, which are marginal at best.

Fortunately, the ban does not affect legacy cans, manufactured through the end of 2008. All cans have a manufacture date. My experience has been that the Wedco and Scepter cans are the most robust and effective. So, I would highly recommend that people buy a few cans to have for future builds, etc., before eBay starts to price gouge everything.

For the Wedco, there are CARB compliant and standard cans.

Those of you in CA (and a few other states) will need these cans
DSC09914340.jpg

For those of us fortunate enough to live in wild-west states like Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, etc., we can get the traditional cans, with HD clamping cap. These are the same as used by NATO, etc.
DSC08456340.jpg

From what I can see, Scepter can availability is extremely limited, as they stopped selling to the US distributors in the first part of 08.

I just talked to Ho at Expedition Exchange, and they have a big inventory of the red Wedco cans in stock, both CARB and non-carb versions.

I like the idea of having a few fuel cans in the garage, topped off with gas, especially at $1.50 a gallon they are right now.

Here is the Wedco can page on EE.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Thanks for the head's up, Scott.

Why does all this stuff happen when I'm out of money? Rats. At least I have one Scepter OD green can, but was hoping to get a few Wedco cans. Guess I'll be paying the post ban price. :-/

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Adventure Trailers have the Wedco red CARB compliant fuel can with spout in stock $45.00

We do not have the blue Wedco water cans.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
FWIW Scepter and their Canadian based retailers have pretty much cut off all US sales as of the last couple of months. There are a handful of ExPo threads on the subject detailing the specifics but you'll be pretty challenged to get any Scepters into the US as of current. DSI, BQ, etc have all cut off sales 100%.

I called and spoke with the Military rep at Scepter about spare parts. They were "sympathetic" with my plight but they were starting their CARB compliance early and were not even willing to help me with spare parts (gasket, cap flange, straps, etc). She said they have instructed all of their Canadian based dealers to cut off sales too :smilies27

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
For us SOCAL people.. there's a huge pallet stock of NOS NATO's at the following location:

ALL AMERICAN ARMY SURPLUS
2584 Fender Ave # D
Fullerton, CA 92831
(714) 871-3210

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=...IA&fb=1&view=text&latlng=15373174707536423395

Ask them for a flash light and shine the light down into the cans to pick out the best ones. 98% are brand new and never have been used. I've been buying my cans from them for years and i've sent many over there. They're good cans. They're kept inside and out of the elements. Price last time i bought was $18.00 each.

cruiseroutfit

shane4x4 said:
Any idea how this will affect non-can can's like GERI?
http://www.expeditionone.biz/Geri_intro.htm

Fonz was a little late in the CARB details but he is working on a CARB compliant can. We'll have to see what he comes up with, other manufactures (ie Scepter) have decided its easier to pull out of the market with their mil spec cans than it is to design a new to meet CARB standards.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've never heard of this. Does it only apply to cans that are designed to be carried outside a vehicle or does it apply to all fuel cans? Just having a hard time understanding how you'd fit an expensive cap onto a cheap plastic fuel can that most convenience or discount stores sell?

Then again, now that I think about it the cap on my cheapie plastic 5 gallon can has a fairly simple plastic cap with a 'child proof' design like you'd see on an aspirin bottle so maybe it's not a big deal?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Stocked Up

Though I purchased four 20L, four 10L cans and four nozzles from Expedition Exchange in October, I was still considering making another order of Wedcos before the end of the year. This thread spurred me into ExPo Action.

It's easy to rationalize that I should have enough fuel cans as only a few of my Scepters and two Wedcos have been put into service. But how many is a lifetime supply to allow for loss, theft, and damage when I'm only in my mid-forties?

Add me to the list of those going into (short term) debt for fuel cans :)
I just ordered 4-20L, 4-5L, one more 20L, and two nozzles.

I don’t have an immediate use for the little 5L cans, but they seem so small and handy for small generators or top-up motor oil for a long trip and $100.00 for four seems fair. Where else can you buy a high quality 1.25-gallon fuel can?

cruisertoy

Explorer
If one were to have cans purchased new or used in Canada, is there any portion of the law that is going to make shipping those can to the US a problem? What about shipping via truckline accross the border? I have a driver that picks up from us every week or two and hauls back and forth to Canada, but I don't want to have him get hassled at the border.

cruiseroutfit

Martinjmpr said:
I've never heard of this. Does it only apply to cans that are designed to be carried outside a vehicle or does it apply to all fuel cans? Just having a hard time understanding how you'd fit an expensive cap onto a cheap plastic fuel can that most convenience or discount stores sell?

Most of the current consumer offerings are already CARB and child safe compliant, I know my cheapy BLITZ cans are. Those that are not likely have a can in testing or production ready to meet the deadline if not... others like Scepters MFC division are just pulling out of the US market all together.

More can specific details here:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21475

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I too have stocked up on these and will probably pick up some more.

Here are the places that might still have OD cans.

Atlantic British
British Pacific
Rovers North
4wheeloutfitters.com

If you don't mind huge shipping cost

Wavian & Associates ( the UK manufacturer)

For Red version you have:

Expedition Exchange
Adventure Trailers
Garrett Wade Tools (us importer of Wavian)

Surplus cans are all over the place, but if you want the ones with fuel id tags, these guys are nice to deal with.

http://www.expeditionimports.zoovy.c...to_gerry_cans/

I'm sure I am missing many places. If you find other please list them so everyone has place to reference for the mass buying that is occurring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior