OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

tjtx

*edited to fix embeds:

I've mostly finished our Redarc retrofit, I've got a little more fusing to add for some of the primary positive sides but I'm waiting on the block to come in. I'm also swapping out to conductive tank sensors vs the resistive floats that are inside (using these tank senders: https://ourvanrv.com.au/products/rv-water-tank-sender-probe-arm-5-0m?variant=31369534013551). Until I get the time to drop them in, I wired up the 2 resistive inputs on the Rogue to the front/rear tank for now. All of the lighting is now dimmable and controllable via bluetooth, and the switch panel up front i changed out for 8x push buttons. I didn't get a pic (yet), but I also added a 4th 100w flexible panel to the roof and fused all of the others that were up there (panels in parallel should always be fused and the stock setup is not). When i have some more time, I'll write a lengthier post about it all.

Overall about 20-ish hours of work, but the quality of life improvements when traveling in it this summer will be immense.

IMG_3611.jpg
IMG_3612.jpg
IMG_3614.jpgIMG_3618.jpg

Last edited:
*edited to fix embeds:

I've mostly finished our Redarc retrofit, I've got a little more fusing to add for some of the primary positive sides but I'm waiting on the block to come in. I'm also swapping out to conductive tank sensors vs the resistive floats that are inside (using these tank senders: https://ourvanrv.com.au/products/rv-water-tank-sender-probe-arm-5-0m?variant=31369534013551). Until I get the time to drop them in, I wired up the 2 resistive inputs on the Rogue to the front/rear tank for now. All of the lighting is now dimmable and controllable via bluetooth, and the switch panel up front i changed out for 8x push buttons. I didn't get a pic (yet), but I also added a 4th 100w flexible panel to the roof and fused all of the others that were up there (panels in parallel should always be fused and the stock setup is not). When i have some more time, I'll write a lengthier post about it all.

Overall about 20-ish hours of work, but the quality of life improvements when traveling in it this summer will be immense.

View attachment 827647
View attachment 827648
View attachment 827649View attachment 827650
Good work. Just a heads up, you have 3x 90w panels and 1x 100w panel.

tjtx

Good work. Just a heads up, you have 3x 90w panels and 1x 100w panel.

Hmm I'll grab pics of the roof top when I get back, i ordered a matching renogy flexible panel that was 100w and they all looked basically identical. I wonder if this is another thing that varies wildly between batches and years. I've now seen in person crazy differences between the D13/D15 between 2021-2022 "year models"

My FILs friend got a D15 and its wiring is actually done pretty well with well labeled fuses everywhere and a layout that makes sense. We got to see LaBlaze's D13 which is also super different than ours, too.

Also the "cable management " for our solar was a total mess. It's just a bunch of VHB backed cable tie mounts holding down a bunch of 2-way splitters with about 150 cable ties holding everything down. Panels are just Sikaflexed down which is what I did as well, but i tried to fix most of the cable management mess. The VHB backed Polyamide cable mounts are $$ in the US.

Hmm I'll grab pics of the roof top when I get back, i ordered a matching renogy flexible panel that was 100w and they all looked basically identical. I wonder if this is another thing that varies wildly between batches and years. I've now seen in person crazy differences between the D13/D15 between 2021-2022 "year models"

My FILs friend got a D15 and its wiring is actually done pretty well with well labeled fuses everywhere and a layout that makes sense. We got to see LaBlaze's D13 which is also super different than ours, too.

Also the "cable management " for our solar was a total mess. It's just a bunch of VHB backed cable tie mounts holding down a bunch of 2-way splitters with about 150 cable ties holding everything down. Panels are just Sikaflexed down which is what I did as well, but i tried to fix most of the cable management mess. The VHB backed Polyamide cable mounts are $$ in the US.
I was also under the impression they were 100w Renogy. A fellow on the Facebook group pulled his up, and they turned out to have 90w labels.
On my 22 D13, looking at the incoming wattage on my Victron VRM portal, I can tell you I either have:

"about average performing 90w panels"

or I have

"very under performing 100w panels."

1712231816322.png
1712231833360.png

I don’t understand how they say
I was also under the impression they were 100w Renogy. A fellow on the Facebook group pulled his up, and they turned out to have 90w labels.
On my 22 D13, looking at the incoming wattage on my Victron VRM portal, I can tell you I either have:

"about average performing 90w panels"

or I have

"very under performing 100w panels."

View attachment 827769
View attachment 827770
Obi’s webpage says 3-100 watt panels. I noticed when I was doing some wiring with my d15, the outlets say “ for copper wire only “. My wires are aluminum. Not sure if it matters but, it could be a potential fire hazard.

gendlert

You all know the feeling:
You show up to a party looking good in your brand new outfit, thinking you're hot stuff, and then someone wearing the same thing walks through the door, only they didn't rip the electronic step off their outfit.
1000209398.jpg

LaBlaze

Anyone have any issues with their thetford flush tank leaking? Ive been trying to find youtube videos or something on how to check/fix it cause I don't trust the dealership to do it but I haven't had any luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior