Prohibiting Vehicles in Residential Areas

tag187

Observer
wow, what a bunch of BS. That's why i will never live in a "nice" neighborhood. i like my junk, and i like to be able to do what i want with it, how i want, when i want.

You and me both bud. These laws are some of the dumbest B.S. I have ever heard, and here I thought we lived in a free America.

lstzephyr

wanderer
You and me both bud. These laws are some of the dumbest B.S. I have ever heard, and here I thought we lived in a free America.

Freedom is relative. Somehow I don't think we are as free as we used to be. I'm fairly young at 24 and I just don't believe all the hoopla about freedom anymore. We may very well be more free than other countries but laws, insurance companies, landlords, associations, and other "organizations" have definetly limited that. Maybe its just being an adult.

Sorry for the "political" post. Its just something I have been thinking about.

Fwiw I'm neither conservative or liberal.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

One way to beat the system......Move.

Pete Wilson

P.S. I used to live in Ottawa, KS. and work for Garmin until I got laid-off in March.

Would it be possible to use the new bed to camouflage your flatbed? Cant tell if that would be technically following the law.

BTW this law technically outlaws parking long body panel vans and f-450s. Might even see if it outlaws all vehicles registered as commercial vehicles since most pick ups and large suvs might not be "passenger" vehicles then (no longer exempt from size limits) . See if there's any around and ask the city to enforce the code fully or not at all, and if they do attempt to enforce it, start a revolt:victory:

Good luck.

D

Deleted member 9101

We most certainly do, and he made the choice as a free man to live in that neighborhood... just saying.

Move to my neighborhood. The houses and lots are worth close to $1m but I have a Unimog RV in my driveway; also 3 vehicles that haven't been driven for ~2-3 years, tires, spare Mog windshield (in a crate), more tires, 2 military trailers, etc etc. Nobody complains; my next door neighbor owns a construction business and has a container in his yard. Everything looks nice because the lots are 1.75 acres and there are lots of trees.
You choose where you live. I wouldn't live in one of these BS-laden areas.

Charlie

dzzz

Move to my neighborhood. The houses and lots are worth close to $1m but I have a Unimog RV in my driveway; also 3 vehicles that haven't been driven for ~2-3 years, tires, spare Mog windshield (in a crate), more tires, 2 military trailers, etc etc. Nobody complains; my next door neighbor owns a construction business and has a container in his yard. Everything looks nice because the lots are 1.75 acres and there are lots of trees.
You choose where you live. I wouldn't live in one of these BS-laden areas.

Charlie

Hmmm, I spare mog windshield in the yard you say?

I always pictured you with a big barn/garage, Charlie.

Nick02

If you fight, and if you don't use your truck for commercial purposes, you will win. Checkout steel-soldiers, there's many threads about this very issue... all in all claim it as an recreational vehicle and that's that.

JRH_PowerWagon_06

Your only hope is that you owned the truck/lived there before the law was enacted or ammended to prohibit it.
If you did, you have legal recourse, in that the Constitution prohibits ex post facto laws. You would be grandfathered-in/exempted.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Be thankful you don't live in Gold River. Can't even park your Lexus in the driveway there (exceptions for short time visitors). Not for me. Thank God they don't care what you do in my neighborhood.

DaveM

Explorer
Your only hope is that you owned the truck/lived there before the law was enacted or ammended to prohibit it.
If you did, you have legal recourse, in that the Constitution prohibits ex post facto laws. You would be grandfathered-in/exempted.

Not necessarily. As I read it, the prohibition on ex post facto applies primarily to specific actions that came before the law was passed to prohibit those actions. So he would not be subject to fines or penalties for all the times he parked the truck prior to the laws enactment. Once the law has passed, if he continues to violate it, he can be fined, towed, whatever.

Dowry

Observer
Isn't Garmin USA based in Lenexa? Maybe they'd swing a little weight with the city council knowing that their laws were harassing their customers.

For what it's worth, the Good Sam Club has a booklet on how to fight unjust parkings. Perhaps check out their site if you're up for a scrap.

D

haven

Expedition Leader
Lots of HOAs have restrictions on parking for RVs and commercial vehicles. It's all laid out in black and white in the CCRs. If the HOA owns the streets as private roads, then they can tell you what you can and can't park in front of your house. However, if the street is owned by the town, then you can park any properly licensed vehicle there.

In the HOA where I live, the rules prohibit parking an RV or commercial vehicle in the driveway. I can park beside the house if there's a gate that shields the vehicle from view. But the street is owned by the town, so I can park on the street. HA!

The OP has a different problem. In his case, it's the town that has the ordinance against parking certain types of vehicles on the street. You can't fight city hall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears